Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Ricoh Theta Z1

Matterport plus; Ricoh Theta Z1 for photos?10148

WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
fotoguy private msg quote post Address this user
I am playing around with my new Theta Z. We get many requests to just shoot photos for houses but no tours. We use MP camera. It takes longer but photos always look amazing and as long as we don't publish the tour, we don't get charged.

Testing out the Theta Z today using the MP capture app as it seems like it is much quicker to move around a house and time is money. Anyone else using the theta Z just for photos? Suggestions? Results? Advice?
Post 1 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@fotoguy Just curious: How does the Z1 improve the workflow (timewise) for you? I just took delivery of a new Z1 myself, so haven't tried it yet, but are you saying it requires less scans than the usual Pro2 to build the map? If yes, that would be "found money" to me, because I was lead to believe that there would be no benefit in this regard in MP.

So far as still photos, I intend to run the same test today to find out myself and will be happy to report findings.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
I have not used it for a tour. It is quicker when a realtor just wants photos instead of using the MP. We don't do nearly as many scans when photos are needed as we don't need to build a dollhouse or floor plans. It can be used in conjunction with the MP. For instance, in a small bathroom I can fit the tiny trip with Z1 mounted on it in many places a MP camera would never fit. All you have to do is switch cameras within the capture app. It will be a learning curve as are most things.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@fotoguy Got it. I can see the rationale for using MP for 2D stills in the case of after-the-fact upselling the 3D tour, guided tour (integrated, or separate MP4), floor plans, etc., but if for only stills, why not just pull the DSLR out of the bag?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Saugatuck, Michigan
I photograph the outside of the house with DSLR. We use MP2 on 360 inside. It has great bracketing. The photos I take from the 360's are exposed properly with no flash and the cord are crisp. We have done houses with DSLR but found that we liketye photos taken from the MP much better. It is slower but keep in mind we don't have to scan every 5 feet. We do a 360 where needed and move on.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@fotoguy Understood. Ah, now I get the whole picture. Sorry, I'm a little slow today. Also eliminates all, or most all of the usual re-touching, which I am sure we are all so fond of ;-). Thanks for the clarification.

To this point, I have been using my Sony A7SII and 5 exp brackets for the interior. Given it does in-camera stacking, which works very well, I just quickly run the final HDR stills through PS for only a few enhancements. Literally, like one minute per photo is all.

I will definitely give your idea a workout. Appreciate the detail.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101635 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?