Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Dollhouse ViewGeoCVSunlightVersusWalkThrough

3D Exteriors including Dollhouse in full direct sun with GeoCV10121

WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, it can be done. I ran a test a few weeks ago and this week had an actual project to try it out. Not for the faint of heart mind you, but thanks to the brilliant "open" structure of GeoCV (unlike MP) I was able to capture this Hollywood condo's rooftop deck in full sun and it displays that way in the Dollhouse view as well.

Take a look. I'll be back soon to explain the entire procedure for anyone wanting to try this out.

This was done without Cortex (which I've found undependable) and what I got here was exactly what I expected based on my earlier test, linked here:

3D Modeling with 'dollhouse' outdoors in full sun. I did it with GeoCV

Post 1 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice. Interested to learn more.

Cortex has been failing me. It keeps placing itself in the wrong place when converted. Frustrating.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3D
Take a look. I'll be back soon to explain the entire procedure for anyone wanting to try this out.

Thank you for documenting! Crazy-exciting.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
When I first began using GeoCV, I was a little miffed that it aligns each new scan only to the last preceding scan location, or to a different "nearest" scan which you have manually selected. When I'd jump around a room, this resulted in non-alignment when I'd forget to select the correct nearest last scan point.

NOW, I'm grateful for this additional step. Matterport is SOoooo frustrating when it cannot find an alignment. Not just for the failure, but for the fact that you CANNOT designate where on the minimap the software should be searching to find a match. It always searches the entire model, and if there are many similar surfaces, sometimes it can NEVER find a match.

With GeoCV, the extra step of designation which existing scan you want the alignment to search near, insures that the alignment search process finds the correct area to align to.

So, Thank You GeoCV for something that I first thought was a bother. I've learned you're smarter than me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Kumar private msg quote post Address this user
While GCV saves time by just working with one select scan to map it could sometime advantageous with MP as it works (I assume) with multiple neighboring scans.

Result, with GCV it could result in misalignment, in little larger areas (50 x 200 ft ex) where you do scan along the border and then reach the core and you will see issues with alignment.

One of strengths of MP (as long as I did experience) - while scanning though there were misaligned representations it was fixed to large extent in post. It is not the case with GCV.

Greater advantage with GCV could be the latest sensor mark II, if they can support upgrading existing customers it is going to be a killer machine for outdoor and large spaces.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
I concur with your observation. Both systems can built up wandering bends in their minimap over distances. Matterport is almost always fixed back to 90 degree angles after processing but GeoCV sometimes is not. I don’t believe this is due to the initial scan alignment approach but rather the processing algorithms. GeoCV needs a touch of improvement there. I have much more faith that GeoCV considers every support suggestion to be important than MP.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Matterport needs to beef up the outdoor cortex alignment. It’s v unreliable.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
@angusnorriss - So true. In MP's defense, what they're trying to do with Cortex is pretty amazing if it someday actually works dependably. This would be AI in action, but thus far it's lagging behind autonomous vehicle progress. Experience makes me question MP's commitment to development when they won't even honor, nurture and reward one of their top, recently departed, engineers. Shame on the C-suite team.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
I agree.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101429 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?