Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCamerasGearNewbies

Help Please, got a 360youtube video job1011

Conor private msg quote post Address this user
A client has asked me to do a youtube 360 video of a ship specifically, and I know very little (apart from research that I've done) about shooting videos in 360. First I need to buy some inexpensive equipment. The tetha S is out of stock, would the kodak SP360 do the job for me?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Foundry45 private msg quote post Address this user
The best resolution will be from a GoPro rig with 6 or 7 cameras vs the SP360. We use ones from http://www.360heros.com/

The theta S and SP360 will also work, but be much grainier. Those would OK for youtube low res, but would look pretty bad in a headset.

You may also need stitching software, we recommend Kolor ($~800). You wouldn't need stitching software if you're just using Theta, however, but the quality is much lower.

We can help with the 360 video if you like or answer questions about doing it yourself. We've recently shot 360 video for GaTech and a cruise line which we're integrating into VR apps for them.

-Scott
404-931-9164
Scott a foundry45.com
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks Scott, appreciate it, it's for youtube and not a headset, so do you think I'd get away with the SP 360. The more I read about it the less confident I am but youtube videos shot with it seem OK, like you said
Post 3 IP   flag post
Also, what would you use to shoot the video - a monopod?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Are you going to get two SP360s and tape them back to back? That will require some stitching. We could help with the stitching if this is a one-off for you. If you don't need full spherical, then one SP360 would work. If I were you, I'd buy one and do a test recording for the client to make sure the quality is good enough. Return if not good enough

We use a monopod for high up and walking shots, and just a tripod for head-level shots.

Happy to help with random questions.
Post 5 IP   flag post
yes, on more research I think that the teeth S is probably a better bet than the SP 360 (no need for taping 2 together and stitching) only that they're out of stock. I'm sure I'll manage to find one though. Thanks so much for your help! Appreciate it
Post 6 IP   flag post
*tetha S
Post 7 IP   flag post
one last thing Scott, could you share the videos that you or others did that could give me some ideas regarding the actual shooting
thanks
Post 8 IP   flag post
Do you mean camera setup, etc? Here are two sample outputs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgBuOnikqbg (local parade, watch in chrome browser to see 3D)

https://vimeo.com/147337928 (travel - rough cut preview)

Theta S is the way to go for cheapest and simplest. I used the previous version to do some test video, and while it looked horrible, it was incredibly easy. I haven't tested the theta S yet personally, but I believe based on specs it should be a lot better.
Post 9 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe have a look at this one: https://360fly.com/
Post 10 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Theta has really bad quality. Check out this special: www.orah.co

Unfortunately delivery is in july 2016 and maybe expect delays.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101635 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?