Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseDeletingMultiple FloorsOutdoorsProblems

Why You Do Not Want to Delete 3D Models96

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
In this blog post, I talk about:

1. why you do not want to delete 3D Showcase Models
2. how to save 3D Showcase models when your iPad is full

Anyone saving 3D Showcase models in a different way (once your iPad is full)? [I've tried Macroplant iXplorer. It takes too long and is way too complex (because you need to save more than just the data files to successfully restore.)]

By the way, thank you for joining -- and contributing to -- the Matterport User Group Forum. As many as 200+ different people view the Forum within any 24 hour window.

In addition to the United States, we have members from Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Spain, Ukraine, Italy, Thailand, Sweden and France.

In the last 30 days, the Forum has had nearly 8,000 page views with an average of of 5 minutes on the site by each viewer. Probably lots of people trying to decide if they want to buy a Matterport camera are checking out this Forum.

Exciting times ahead for us all in 2015 and beyond.

Best wishes,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan

Have you came up with a process to save the scans in a different place other then Ipad?

Ron
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@ron0987

Yes. I write about how/why I use iCloud with Matterport 3D Models, in this blog post: Photographers: Do Not Delete Matterport 3D Showcase Models on Your iPad

Matterport should do this in the Cloud. (I requested this feature in the Forum Thread: Matterport Cloud Processing Wish List)

Another Forum member proposed this wish list item in one of the threads. I simply added it to the "Wish List"

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Dan,

can you elaborate more about the iexplorer problems you had? I am backing up the entire documents folders but your are saying that if I need to replace this that it won't be enough? Thanks for your help with this (and everything else)
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@alx3D the documents folder is like the pasenger cars on a train. You still need the locomotive engine, caboose, engineer and conductors to successfully get from Texas to Georgia.

Even if you can solve the puzzle of which train cars and staff you need and in what order, the train will be too slow to get you there (compared with taking the plane).

That's why I use iCloud and I am prepared to restore the entire device, if/when necessary.

If you figure-out how to use iXplorer in a way that will help Matterport photographers handle saving original files (and using them successfully to restore), please share it here.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Vincentlublink private msg quote post Address this user
He Dan you did forget the Netherlands :-) Joke...
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Matterport feels our pain about what to do when we fill up an iPad.

While I suggested a "jerry-rig" workaround at the beginning of this thread (instead of deleting models to have more space), they have asked me two questions:

1. What are the existing pain points for us?
2. What would be the ideal solution?

In my next post, I will give some thought-starters to both of these questions.

It would be great if you weigh-in by 3 pm ET Monday, 11 May 2015 and I will do a follow-up call with Matterport.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
What are the existing pain points for us?

1. Deleting models is not an option. If Matterport comes out with features that require going back to the original model, we have a big problem if we have deleted the models.

2. Some clients want the original content that was used to create the model. They may want to archive the model for the same reason as #1.

3. When We Get Around engages other Pros, we want the original model (to edit windows, mirrors and trim) and to delete scans. And, the same reason as #2.

4. Any good Pack Rat Pro photographer wants to keep originals because you never know where the tech is headed and what will be possible in the future.

5. We bought a second iPad Air because we have active jobs that we are discussing edits with clients (including swapping out seasonal foliage) AND have new 3D models to shoot.

Other pain points for you because there is presently no easy and seamless archive solution?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
What would be the ideal solution?

The original files for the model:

1. can be archived to the Matterport cloud
2. from the cloud, I can download the original files
3. from the cloud, I can share the original files
4. from the cloud, other Pros can share the original files with me
5. can be deleted from the iPad because they can be restored from the Matterport cloud
6. If I update the Matterport Capture app the original files need to be compatible.
7. automatically get archived when the model is uploaded.
8. can be deleted
9. can be treated separately. For clarification, this means that I do not need to restore all the models to the device. I can pick WHICH model(s) I need to be back on my iPad.
10. permissions:

a. Admin has full permissions
b. collaborator can upload and download (and see all models), but not delete;
c. "upload guest" can upload, but can not see or have access to other models.
d. "download guest" can download, but can not see or have access to other models

What's your ideal solution for archiving models, if Matterport granted you this wish?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
Dan you are right and have some good ideas about scan sharing from different pros on your account. It all comes down to data management.

We need to be able to get to old scans to add to or edit etc and a download function would open these options up.

I would very much like to see meshing of multiple models together as it could be a huge time saver to attack big jobs from multiple angles. This functionality could also be used solve the number 1 time killer site: Failed scans. 95% of the time they do not need to be deleted, just saved until a closer scan is present.
Post 10 IP   flag post
CKC private msg quote post Address this user
Those are very very good points, thanks Dan!
Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?