Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture 2.xScans

Proposed 17,000 SQFT Matterport Tour922

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I have been looking around the forum for advice on shooting an extremely large, 4 story building as a Matterport Tour.

From what I understand, the 200 Maximum Scans limit is not enforced, however, it's advertised as Matterport believe this number is the maximum desirable scans to ensure a smooth experience.

I have seen Dan's advice on shooting the entire tour as one tour and then duplicating it as many times as needed to isolate floors into separate tours -- in this case, it would be duplicating 4 times and separating into floors.

https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/60/very-large-home-how-to/

I would like to ask if anyone has had experience with projects on this scale and how they turned out. Some examples would be fantastic.
Post 1 IP   flag post
jessetutt private msg quote post Address this user
From experience I wouldn't. You may be able to create the tour, but it will be so large it won't load on most devices. Check out st Francis school under our tours on 3dscanexperts.com ! Jesse
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I just got off the phone with Matterport. They were very encouraging, but urged me to get an iPad Air 2 as they believed that the iPad 4 might choke.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

1. Yes. Get an iPad Air 2 (or you will be depressed)
2. You can capture as many scans in a model as you like. I recall The Spa and Fitness Center I captured below had 400+ scans
3. Duplicate the finished model
4. Delete scans until you are at 200
5. While more than 200 may process, bigger than 200 scans may cause the model to crash within webGL
6. Reminder: Matterport does not support more than 200 scans or more than 10,000 sf
7. The above technique enabled me to successfully deliver 16,000 sf to the client. (I did let our client know that we might have to deliver The Spa and The Fitness Center - two different floors - as two models.)

Good luck!

Dan

16,000+ sf below
Post 4 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Dan, thank you so much for your feedback! It's great to have a working case scenario to look at!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

By the way, I recall that it took me two-overnights to do this: 9 pm until 5:30 am (while the Spa and Fitness Center were closed)

I did capture an outdoor deck at night, but to keep the scan count at 200, I did not use include it: just a look out the doors ..

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
geenafie private msg quote post Address this user
Dan:

I'm using your 16k scan of the spa as food for thought to scan a large venue that has bowling alleys. Total area is roughly 20k sq ft, a few small rooms here and there, however as you can imagine much of the area in total are the bowling lanes and not going to be on the stepped scan tour with the camera. So with this the venue on the scanned path of the camera would be less than 10K sq ft, or fairly close.

My first thought is the bowling lanes will exist in spatial distance much like scanning outdoors. So with this I would use the "mark features" and corral the lanes off as if they are behind windows with the hopes this cuts down on the total sq ft of the scan per the program. However the fear is here how this will effect the dollhouse and floorplan views.

Is this the right idea? What other suggestions might you add?

Thanks for all you share.
Post 7 IP   flag post
sebastien private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Dan,
I don't understand how you Duplicate the finished model ?
thanks
Post 8 IP   flag post
sebastien private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry ok i got it in an older post of you !
Post 9 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
you can always trim it as a window, and if it doesn't work, retrim and upload again using the standard trim. That is one of the nice things about the interface, you can always make small modifications and reupload until it works. They shouldn't charge you as long as its not a new model. Just remember to remove the bad ones from the cloud server if it wont be used. They will count against you for your total count.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@geenafie

How did your bowling alley model turn out?

Can you embed or add link here?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
geenafie private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the good advice. Been tentative to try to sell the scan mentioned due to the size, contemplating offering them a "good deal" in exchange and upfront of not knowing the exact quality to expect.

On the other hand here is a 5k sq ft scan of a great place local to Lake Norman, NC. All the decor/materials from the ceiling to the floor originates from Ireland, very cool place!
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @geenafie

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the good advice. Been tentative to try to sell the scan mentioned due to the size, contemplating offering them a "good deal" in exchange and upfront of not knowing the exact quality to expect.

Yes. Sounds like a nice idea. Is it the bowling alley? Or, is that done. I would to see the bowling alley.

The events space is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
This building to restore in Venice is about 39826 sq ft (3700 mq)
with 199 scans

Everything it's possible with Matterport....

Post 14 IP   flag post
pheller private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a 14,000 sq. ft. multi level house I did in San Diego. Big rooms only need 4 scans. You can be very efficient. The less furniture the better!

Post 15 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@PieroBortolot Hello, do you remember how long it took you to scan this property?
Thanks
Post 16 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
@TopSnapCoomera we worked about 12-13 hours
Post 17 IP   flag post
101436 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?