Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceGeariris360NCTech iris360

NCTech iris360 Camera versus Matterport921

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
This thread post is inspired by this Photography For Real Estate (PFRE) blog post. (I curate PFRE blog posts here that are most relevant to Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers.

----
NCTech is accepting pre-orders on its iris360 360º spherical camera for December 2015. (USD $1,999)

"Google announces the new NCTech iris360 automatic camera to image inside millions of business for new update Street View," according to the NCTech website.

"It's the only automatic 360 degree camera approved for [Google] Trusted Photographers."

iris360 Press Kit | Tech Specs | Press Release

How does this compare to the Matterport 3D Camera (and platform)?

And, if you were -- or still are –- a 360º spherical photographer, your thoughts?

Best,

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
GoTour private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive competition to Matterport in terms of processing but have yet to see how they stitch rooms/scenes together.MP has them beat here, but perhaps they will add that functionality over time. Also iris 360 can shoot outdoors, which is a big limitation for MP. Let the 360 wars begin.
Post 2 IP   flag post
josephthomp private msg quote post Address this user
I looked into this camera's predecessor. Although the image quality is far superior in all types of lighting on the iris360 Matterport has them beat on the viewing platform.

With Matterport you have the closest thing to the feeling of actually being there and walking around. While Google Street View is close in their transitions they are still behind Matterport in this and of course you can't use this technology outside of Google.

Sample I did this year before Matterport: http://awesomedental.visutour.com/m.awesomedental.html
This is something you could make with the iris camera but involves a lot of backend, other software and manually laying out the scan points.

This is the reason I decided to go with Matterport and use it for the majority of my scans now.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
The predecessor Ntech Istar camera has phenomenal photos but the issue that josephthomp identified is the back end work to put tour together. The Istar camera was used to support 3D scanners to provide far better images, but the software worked with the scanner data to build models and supplement colors. This would be Matterport on steroids, downside is you cannot easily view end product and initial investment extremely high. So when Ntech came out with Iris360 at the projected price, I though this might be a start. So a possibility on upscale projects where the better photos are needed would use the Iris360 along side the Matterport, Matterport to create model Iris360 to add the photos. Not a perfect or ideal process but a work around. Overall need to be able to put photos up and view on any platform. So like josephthomp said, this is why we went with Matterport. Any thoughts from others.

Ron
Post 4 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
view?Quote:
Originally Posted by josephthomp
While Google Street View is close in their transitions they are still behind Matterport in this and of course you can't use this technology outside of Google.

So not to state the obvious but this product is not a stand alone thing? Only for Google business/view?
Post 5 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
The iris360 has great capabilities for what it's design for and that's to shoot 360 pano’s for Google Business View (BV). The advantage of using the iris is that it eliminated the need for a 8mm lens as well as a pano head to shoot VT. You can do a complete 360 capture in 10 sec verses having to manually turn the cameras at 90 and trigger the shutter.

The very major difference between producing a VT (I use the term VT loosely for BV) with the iris and the MP is that you have to stitch all of your pano's together as well as align all of your arrows which can be a pain in the ass if you shoot a complex location.

The iris does not have IR or laser so there is no built in capability for the seamless alignment that MP offers. The other undisputable difference is that the MP via the Showcase delivers a true immersive VT experience whereas BV VT as well as every other 360 VT solution makes a half ass attempt at delivering a VT type experience.

If in the future NCTech decides to compete in the same space as MP then there camera will be a real game changer as the quality of the image that the iris produces is far superior. You do have to keep in mind that the higher the quality of the image the longer it will take to load a VT. Although I’m sure that NCTech will find a way to overcome that if they move into this space. One should also keep their eyes open for others that will be entering this space.

The one area that MP can stay ahead of the onslaught of competition is to continue to enhance their player. The key factor that MP seems to ignore is the invaluable feedback that this forum produces in regards to improved features. If the competition are monitoring this forum and produce a player that incorporated the features that we’ve all been asking for to include a white-labelled solution then many of us would I’m sure gladly make the switch.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder

Helpful and interesting to hear from a Matterport Pro 3D Camera photographer that also offers 360º spherical photography.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
360° panos were sold as the "next revolution" in photography to real estate agents some time back. These were clunky and limited in their abilities and quite limited in their acceptance. They were a flop. (I understand the google version is a far cry from those sold to agents in the past).

But, interestingly, I've found that one of the hurtles to overcome when selling MP3D is in showing agents how different this technology is from the 360s that they know and hate from their past experiences.
Post 8 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Remember iPIX? Shysters.
Post 9 IP   flag post
UnrealerAleksi private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I think the main value with Google business view is the deep integration to google products, which makes the "tour" easily accessible to bulk of end users.

In my personal view Matterport's biggest weakness is the lack of integration to major platforms. It does not matter how much better the experience is if the end users are not able to find/use it directly on facebook, google, zillow, twitter etc.

I have high hopes for the Matterport/facebook-integration that was promised this fall. I think Matterport's tech is solid, the problem is more about getting the tech in front of people's eyes.
Post 10 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder Hmm interesting! It seems like until they're able to come up with a process to quickly stitch the scenes together, it's just another 360 camera. I'd like to see one mounted upside down on a multi-copter. Imagine being able to capture both interior/exterior scenes including birds eye views. Now that would be a cool doll house!
Post 11 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Brandon, that a great idea. There are a few 360 cameras that you could do that with right now. In regards to NCTech, if anyone can come up with an auto stitch solution as well as player it's NCTech so watch this space.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Gary, Brandon
We are getting closer to this, they are using 3D high end scanners on drones and they are stitching the scans together, they now are using photogrammetry from drones that are developing 3D models and point clouds from photos so hopefully we are not to far away from this. In theory I think the capability is there it just requires a developer to put it all together.

Ron
Post 13 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
I have both iris360 and Matterport, and some other toys :-). Here is link to iris360 shot today at the office:
http://www.spinattic.com/108/4840
Impressive HDR. While this camera can process and stitch inside itself (if opted) it was primarily built with Google Business Views in mind. It meets Google's standards and driven more towards content than quality. It's a awesome solution for that market. The iris360 and Matterport are two different markets. If you are a pro 360 VR shooter stick with DSLR or M4/3 for optimal quality.
Post 14 IP   flag post
UnrealerAleksi private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I have both iris360 and Matterport, and some other toys :-). Here is link to iris360 shot today at the office:
http://www.spinattic.com/108/4840
Impressive HDR. While this camera can process and stitch inside itself (if opted) it was primarily built with Google Business Views in mind. It meets Google's standards and driven more towards content than quality. It's a awesome solution for that market. The iris360 and Matterport are two different markets. If you are a pro 360 VR shooter stick with DSLR or M4/3 for optimal quality.

Bill,

Can you ellaborate how the process works with iris 360 and google business view? The link you pasted was just a single panorama, but I assume you can do connected business view "tours" with the iris360?

1) Is there any kind of manual work in shooting a property, or is it a very similar process as matterport?
2) How do you upload the material to google business view? Do you need to be google certified or something? Are there any costs associated in uploading/hosting?
3) Do you get a "standalone" business view tour that you can embed? Or is the tour housed just inside google products?
4) Are there some other options to "house"/"display" the tour than google business view? Not talking about individual panoramas, but the actual tour.

It would save a ton of time if you can answer! Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@Bill When you have a chance, I'd be interested in hearing your answers to @unrealeraleski questions too. I'm also looking for an easier solution for 360 photos that is higher resolution than a Ricoh Theta S but less complicated than a DSLR. I'd not be using it for Google Business View.

At this time, the iris360 seems to be the best camera out there for the job. Would you agree? thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Nodalview Pitdulac private msg quote post Address this user
You should have a look at www.nodalview.com
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
I'm getting a lot of objections from businesses that don't want to pay my hosting fee and I cannot guarantee their tour will be up for the lifetime of their business like Google Street View can promise. Does anyone know of Matterport has a plan to work our product in with Google Street View so we can compete with this camera?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@Bill Interesting details and comparison of the two products. The main point of difference for me is the nadir point. If the Iris 360 could capture this like the zenith then there might be a whole new opening for the product. It will be interesting to see where this product goes in 2016. I had a request to capture a golf course. The MP could not handle the daylight, and the traditional DLSR photos with processing was going to be time consuming, plus their budget was $1000AUD. I am still on the drawing board for a solution.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@Noel, have you looked at Gigapan which is cheaper option that would give you a great panorama, is automated and works great outside. Just a thought for another option.

Ron
Post 20 IP   flag post
101429 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?