Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppScansStrategyTips

Distance between scans for warehouse?917

Cindiewozniak private msg quote post Address this user
For anyone who's scanned a large warehouse/commercial space, what would you recommend for the distance between scans.

The space I'm looking at is 11,000 sq. ft.

I would appreciate any tips or advice!

Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Hey there
Here is an example
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=THHxG86DDPU

Keep your scans about 10 to 15 ft apart max. Start in a corner and make s type patterns. Up across a bit, and then back (if that makes sense)

The trouble you may face is if there are areas that are similar with insufficient textural differences, it may throw off the scan and miss align it. If that happens, delete and move closer to the previous scan, or something it can pick up a difference

Good luck
Post 2 IP   flag post
vincent private msg quote post Address this user
Jamie is exactly right about the S pattern that will work
I have to try that next time
I was thinking to place a bunch of objects in the space.
Take a look at this scan as an example of what happens when the capture software cannot stitch properly.
I wish I had asked before I went out to do this one I didn't think it through.
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=hK4on4qVKwm
you will see the distortion in plan and dollhouse view
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thank you both for your feedback. If I get the job I will post the finished model!
Post 4 IP   flag post
franmts private msg quote post Address this user
My experience with a warehouse. It was for portfolio purposes, so it's not 100% finished, but gives the idea.

It is 40,902 sq. ft. (but I did about 30,000 summing up the 3 floors), took me 2 days of work summing up to 8 hours total.

Distance between scans, on the lower floor, which was a challenge, was about 10-15 ft. There were very few individual visual queues.

I'm curious to see the results!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forgot the link, sorry: http://iteleport.com.br/tour3d/lucca-imoveis-barracao-3-800m%C2%B2-locacao-atuba-curitiba-pr/
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Jamie,
Curious why the S pattern. I would think standard grid with MC slightly lower to the ground would yield optimal results.

Also your model in intriguing with the floor reflections. I would assume same black effect would happen on reflective floors like in a gym. I wonder if MC would have picked up enough exposure if lights where turned off with doors opened?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hey Bill
I tried a few different ways, including a grid but they all produced miss aligned furthest walls. Basically a rectangle had half of the walls coming back in on a harsh angle
We rescanNed the area in an s pattern and it worked much better. No miss alignments
Post 8 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie I might try the S pattern next time. But since I lost the big job last time due to too many miss alignments I simply tell clients I cannot do large open office/warehouses. It's not worth saying you can do it and are left with egg on your face. Not good for business.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Yeah its hard to do big blank spaces.
Other products that do those spaces better and faster anyway
Post 10 IP   flag post
Update on my first commercial model.

The warehouse was not empty as described by the client so scanning it was easier than I anticipated with the exception on one open area. I found that keeping my scans 7-9 ft apart produced the best alignments and I was able to get through the building with only a few problem scans. The challenging part was scanning around the large banks of electronic equipment.

http://tinyurl.com/qd8uyml

Any comments or feedback on my scan are appreciated. Thank you all for you advice on how to get this job done!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Nodal Ninja
Founder
Bill private msg quote post Address this user
@Cindy. Nice job! How many sq ft was that?

@Jamie. I'll have to remember to try the S pattern on my next big open space. Did you do edits to your model? I do not see the black areas in 3D view like I did yesterday.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The space was 11,635 sq. ft., I did 145 scans to complete the model.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm doing a 3 floor 80.000 sq ft job for a well known museum in Brazil.

I'll post the model once it's finished!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished a project that involved scanning a large conference room in three different furniture configurations (banquet rounds, classroom, theater).

I had several challenges with the classroom and theater style as the MC couldn't recognize the difference between one spot and the next one. Ultimately I experimented the S pattern and worked better, but it wasn't flawless. The mesh started exhibiting alignment issues of the chairs, and I had to delete and rescan a lot of points.

@jamie mentioned that there are other products out there that handle virtual tours of large environments better than MP. Any suggestion on that front? Were you thinking about 2D photo sphere tours? Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
vincent private msg quote post Address this user
bring some objects to place in the wide open space
the more objects the better

consider sticking large squares of different colored paper to the walls every so often too

zig zag as much as possible

last thing pay attention to where the last scan is placed delete it if its been misplaced before you proceed
Post 16 IP   flag post
101428 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?