Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseBusiness PlanMarketingReal EstateStrategy

Digital furnishing & renovation874

UnrealerAleksi private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if any one of your clients have had the issue where the house/apartment being advertised is in desperate need of renovation/furnishing, and this is why the client does not want to buy a "truthful" Matterport scan?

I think this is major issue, why Matterport 3D does not sell in all cases. Also, being able to visualize what the house would look like after renovation and furnishing would be a great selling point, since many house buyers "cannot see" the potential in a crappy looking house.
Post 1 IP   flag post
FingFongFang private msg quote post Address this user
I like your work.
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
how about an archilogic back to matterport conversion?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Archilogic model back to Matterport player? I don't think that is possible, all material in the matterport player needs to be captured with their camera.
Post 4 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
This type of rendering looks fine but still looks more like rendering then reality. This thread popped up a while back, I am looked for the thread, it talked about using the blank 3D model and merging more life like furnishing into the space. There is a company in Seattle that caters to that and there end product looks more real then rendering. Now that would be something that would be great because we could take a blank space and produce a life like model. So this is possible. RTV a competitive company allows you to place furniture into the photos, again it can be done it just requires someone to work thru it with Matterport data. You talked about using the 2d floor plan from Matterport, you might consider using the company that converts the OBJ file to a PTS file. You then can import that into most good CAD program and model the 3D point cloud.

Ron
Post 5 IP   flag post
Ron,

I agree with most of your points. But I don't think that best reality always wins. There are many tradeoffs: cost - accuracy - usability. Usually higher quality models are more expensive and usually do not work that well on slower consumer devices etc. I think you got to go with what works for the client in terms of price, quality and usability. Personally I value usability the most, since with moderate to bad usability the whole experience can be negative for the end-user.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@UnrealerAleksi
That would be great, several have been looking for this option. I totally agree with your point on what works best for the client, what I have found is most agents are looking for the cheapest way possible and do not want to entertain this under the average home sale for like you say the cost. I have found clients looking for restoration or conversion from apartment to condos looking for this feature. Some want to pay the price it will cost to do this and market the property, others again are not willing to make the investment. So if you have came a cross something that would be done at a reasonable price this would be a great option and a good complement to Matterport. One of Matterport original sales pitches to us over a year ago was to have that option in the tool box to change the wall color, import objects to see how they look. I do not know what happened to that feature but I see nothing addressing this feature. If you can PM me with info on what you have on that company that would be great.

Ron
Post 7 IP   flag post
tradetickers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@UnrealerAleksi
That would be great, several have been looking for this option. I totally agree with your point on what works best for the client, what I have found is most agents are looking for the cheapest way possible and do not want to entertain this under the average home sale for like you say the cost. I have found clients looking for restoration or conversion from apartment to condos looking for this feature. Some want to pay the price it will cost to do this and market the property, others again are not willing to make the investment. So if you have came a cross something that would be done at a reasonable price this would be a great option and a good complement to Matterport. One of Matterport original sales pitches to us over a year ago was to have that option in the tool box to change the wall color, import objects to see how they look. I do not know what happened to that feature but I see nothing addressing this feature. If you can PM me with info on what you have on that company that would be great.

Ron
yeah and now they want to charge 50. for a PDF floor plan made from their scan. They should just give that to us. Once they write the code it's done. why hit us up for 50. per floorpan. it's absurd.
Post 8 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
It would be cool if we could use tango to scan objects we could import in.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Very cool. I have to believe that there will be matterport completion soon er than we think:

Post 10 IP   flag post
lol cool
Post 11 IP   flag post
@tradetickers
I saw the Dotproduct at a scanner conference, it works great and is portable, but to scan a whole house would take a lot longer than Matteport. This tool works great to integrate smaller 3D point scans into large scale point clouds. But the good thing this is forcing 3D technology to come down in price. Sooner or later this will be just another avenue for developers to have another option for people like us.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron0987
@tradetickers
I saw the Dotproduct at a scanner conference, it works great and is portable, but to scan a whole house would take a lot longer than Matteport. This tool works great to integrate smaller 3D point scans into large scale point clouds. But the good thing this is forcing 3D technology to come down in price. Sooner or later this will be just another avenue for developers to have another option for people like us.
agreed. mater port will need to evolve their business model it's not sustainable in it's current form at the pace technology is going.
Post 13 IP   flag post
chdsi80 private msg quote post Address this user
We are trying to find the best solution for this same purpose. I don't think anything is good enough to be used by itself.

IR technology doesn't work with sunlight. It doesn't have the necessary precision to actually do the design.

50mm (2inch) is not good enough. unless you want to have an approximate design just to show the customer what you envisaged. Then you have to take off again for manufacturing.

We can rely on the matterport OBJ file. unless they have defined the output mesh the way that "can't be" used for high-quality purposes.
I can imagine two reasons: first one is the high accuracy file is too big and they shrink it down to be able to put it online.

second is they don't want us to have it. because as you know, they are collecting the housing data and we don't have any rights to our work. so they can do whatever they want with it.

I've been using Leica product for the past 15 years. They are super accurate and very slow.

We tried Faro Scanners last year. they are much better than the others. they are cheap as well. around 60k with RGB point cloud and 12MP photo capture. But they are slow as well.

I think the one I'd like to operate, has more automation in it. We should be able to scan a house for renovation/inspection purposes in less than 1 hour with some sort of a robot.

I think this will happen within two or three years.
Post 14 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
The faro can get a basic room scan done in about 5 minutes, it's just expensive to maintain, they also don't have a very good product for tours. You would have to host it on their server and it's clunky for the end user
Post 15 IP   flag post
chdsi80 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccctucker
The faro can get a basic room scan done in about 5 minutes, it's just expensive to maintain, they also don't have a very good product for tours. You would have to host it on their server and it's clunky for the end user

Correct. And that is the point. There is no Affordable user-friendly, high-precision solution out there at the moment.

Handheld devices (Laser & IR) are painfully slow, yet cheap. the big ones are a combination of slow and/or expensive.

Can someone invent something awesome, please?
Post 16 IP   flag post
101429 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?