Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Advice

Matterport Showcase 2.0 Released802

alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@RenderingSpace concerning quality.

I think that the quality is the same once the model is loaded. Unfortunately though I think the load time has increased because of the extra highlight real picture data is being pushed to the front of the line over the 3D model data. This is causing very fuzzy transitions for the first walkthroughs and then after it is fully loaded the quality is back to where it was before. That is my take on it at least. As for the "walkthrough" That quality is horrendous with long ugly transition in my opinion.
Post 26 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360,
I wonder how many newbies will open up the virtual tour, see a play button, and think it's just a fancy moving slide show?

I think some things have been improved but I think the view toggle (switch to dollhouse then choose floor plan or dollhouse) just adds more confusion.

I wonder if Matterport does blind studies on test people to see their reaction? It might be harder and harder for us pros to gauge how the general public might be reacting to these changes.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@alx3D,
Maybe I'm subconsciously hoping for drastic improvements so much so that I realize once again that the visual quality has never been high-def.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I've been on this Matterport Thrill ride for a year now and once again I'm reminded how strange it is at the total loss of control we have over our own future with this tech.

I kind of reminds me of the public backlash when Facebook debuted "The Newsfeed". Everyone freaked out. But now it's like the whole point of people getting on Facebook.

Still I'm super bummed about the toggling between floors, floor plan view, and dollhouse view. To me, at least, it just got way more complicated.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
RenderingSpace: I'd fear that people would just think it's a slide show . I've turned that feature off after testing it because I think it adds confusion too -- it takes away the desire to explore and I find myself hung up on wondering WHY the snapshots I picked are the pictures and whether I should have picked other ones...

I also don't know why they felt that they should show all of the controls during a dramatic zooming intro that all disappear -- it's just too much getting in the way of showing the space... too many bells & whistles.

FEATURE REQUEST LIST:

Name & Summary
-- Option: Show during Load // Show on Tour // Show on Tour Minimized

TOUR START
-- Option: Start in Dollhouse // Start in Scene (without zooming)
-- Controls: Show Controls // Hide Controls

Interface:
-- Option to still show the floorplan button when disabling dollhouse
-- Return to separate floorplan / dollhouse buttons - the new popup is silly.

--

If Matterport would allow us to continue to show our tours the way they were previously being displayed with the option to add the new features gracefully, I'd be fine with the new features that I don't care about using

If you disable the 'Dollhouse' button, you also lose the floorplan view - which is silly -- but you can have the tour start without the dramatic zooming effect (that some clients don't want). Why can't we pick to keep the buttons, or choose which ones and start without a zoom in?

SILLY!
Post 30 IP   flag post

CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
@renderingspace, Spence, nothing has changed in the VR app.

I think we all need to focus a little more in the positives vs what we don't like. This is a huge step forward in many ways for this platform.

1. matterport came out and showed how to create spaces in 3D.
2. after funding, they zoned in to the Real estate niche because there's money to be made.
3. The amount of "pros" creating a new business model for this product has resulted in more product enhancements, features.
4. It is clear now that our path has been helped by this upgrade, no longer is this a super easy any realtor can do it solution. If you want a quality model, highlight reel etc, then it's gonna take some time.
5. Practice, sell it, learn the new features, teach it to your employees, techs,photographers or whatever you call them.
6. Let's pitch and sell the product by describing features and providing benefits and charge a premium to deliver a premium product.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

It's only gonna get better. But I do agree with most of your complaints and request for changes. I truly believe this will become the standard in the years to come.
VR will be next, affordable processing and available to the consumer.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@CarlosFHdz

You're right about focusing on the positives. I sell the positives to people everyday. There's just a little frustration along the way.

Like for instance, the fact that I can prove my models are fuzzier today over yesterday.

Look at this photo comparison. The vase on the counter has lost a lot of detail. It's very strange to me that the quality has gone down with the release of 2.0

Post 32 IP   flag post
I agree, that is a negative. I'm sure it's for the reason that someone mentioned already that these take so much more time to load due to the highlight reel and self tour.

It's a shame that something is lost to gain other things. Thanks for the photo comparison. I noticed it too, but this really clears it up.
Post 33 IP   flag post
I wonder how many people have unsubscribed from receiving new post emails after this one. Well, here's another email if you haven't.
Post 34 IP   flag post
cdpmedia private msg quote post Address this user
Spencer. You are right - that is ridiculous and so are the other encumbering new features. All I want is audio and Mattertags and what I got was some cluttered functionality adjustments. Bummer
Have you sent the side by side to MP Support yet?
Post 35 IP   flag post
alx3D private msg quote post Address this user
@RenderingSpace

How did you capture those images. That is very worrisome. I checked an image I saved from a few weeks ago with A new one I captured today. (saved file, not a screenshot of 3D showcase). I tink they look pretty similar and are very close in size (193KB vs 187KB, most likely due to slightly different crop)

Post 36 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
On CarlosFHdz pictures it is noticeable even before the zoom. A reduction in image quality is definitely a worry.

Highlight reel look good for something you could have on loop.
Post 37 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

If you are not a member of this (free) Matterport User Group Forum, one of the benefits of Joining is the option to receive alerts on Showcase 2.0 as members post to this thread.

As of 7 pm EST today, we've had 600 different people looking at the Forum. About three times as many non-members view the Forum daily. And, we have 600+ members.

So, consider this your invite to join the MUG Forum. Join the conversation about Showcase 2.0 (one of 800+ threads); and start receiving alerts to your fav thread topics.

Okay. Back to the discussion about the release of Showcase 2.0 today.

BTW, @YairYepez and I am at an all-day demo Thursday (15 October) of our WalkAround Virtual Reality (VR) Solution - powered by Matterport - to the television and entertainment community in Atlanta at this Digital Media & Entertainment Industry Summit, so its likely that Saturday I will get to dive in to Showcase 2.0.

I will be sure to read this thread and the Showcase 2.0 "Wish List" thread before I dive in ...

Thanks all for your insight on this journey into the future: today!

Best,

Dan
Post 38 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
I responded to the official Matterport Blog post. Some of ya'll might want to too -- being nice of course.

One thing that I realized is that I should not have been surprised by how these new features look -- they've had an animated GIF showing them for a few months -- I just didn't really analyze it until it was on my own tours.

I think the feature I'd like the most is a parameter to add to my tours to use the old showcase until they clean this mess up. Some of our clients are not going to appreciate that 'we' updated their tour interfaces after we sold them a product in a certain manner that they grew accustomed to.
Post 39 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
I have noticed the decrease in quality at full screen as well. On the positive side, the model seems to go faster than it did as you walk through the house now. Anyone else notice that?

When I did the walk-through with the reel, I set two images a good distance apart and when it was "walking" to the next image, the image seemed to be mesh quality until you got to the next spot. I guess we will need reel images closer together so the user doesn't notice as much the quality between one and the other.
Post 40 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I think the guided tour feature might be powerful however, the implementation of it is very clunky. after the filmstrip fills up at the bottom I cannot drag new snapshots to the right place. a select all > drag function would be useful. Showcase seems to be more robust. i'm not experiencing doors that i can't go through, etc.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I had (have?) high hopes for the guided tour, but I agree with @HarlanHambright that the interface for making one is pretty awful. It is hard to tell which thumbnail is which because they are so tiny, and you can't watch a preview of the tour in the Workshop, so the whole time you are trying to make one the results are visible to anyone else viewing the 3D Showcase.

I also had trouble getting mine to start at the right place, despite setting the starting point for the 3D Showcase and the first stop for the guided tour at the same place.

I'm going to try again after I put my kids to sleep; hopefully I'll have more luck.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I don't think it's something I'll be using much. If I want a walk through I use the stedicam rig and make a video of high quality
The interaction and immersion are the winning features with matterport. This feels like they are trying to give features that don't really belong imo. That being said, it may be usefull.

I'd like to see the photos being displayed down the bottom with room names on it in preference
Post 43 IP   flag post
Orange, California
When I first heard about it I liked the idea. I frequently hear from realtors that some client of theirs was intimidated by the 3D Showcase. That's why I sometimes make video screen capture walkthroughs, and this seemed like a way to get the same result but integrated into the 3D Showcase. But so far I think it's still in beta.

Craig
Post 44 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
I was also hoping the walk through would be smoother and be easier to do the video off of. You definitely need to be careful on the image selection in the walk through. I tried a quick one and on two of the transitions it took me straight into a wall and then rotated out. Very messy. Is it my understanding that the measurement tool and labels will no longer be available? Still playing with it so maybe i missed it somewhere. Have not tried the branding yet. I will play with it in the morning
Post 45 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsauer
I also had trouble getting mine to start at the right place, despite setting the starting point for the 3D Showcase and the first stop for the guided tour at the same place. I'm going to try again after I put my kids to sleep; hopefully I'll have more luck.

LOL. Same here. You're not alone. And I had to put 5 kids to sleep .
Post 46 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
I guess my question is...what's wrong with what we had to begin with?? Seemed to be working just fine and everyone loved it.

I was playing with the highlight reel and I too didn't really care for it. I think the "highlight" is the 3D tour itself.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Daniel1977 private msg quote post Address this user
weren't we supposed to be able to post directly to facebook? like people could navigate right on facebook?
Post 48 IP   flag post
Orange, California
After an hour working on a Guided Tour, I'm exhausted and it's still totally crappy. I'm sure I'll get better at it, but it's hard to understand how the interface to generate one of these was launched as is. It's just embarrassing.

And of course, the whole time I'm working on it, I'm worried that some potential buyer for my client's property is able to view the half-cocked version as I'm working on it.

I hope we get some sort of update from Matterport on this situation ASAP. I'll send them a complaint about it.

Craig
Post 49 IP   flag post
3DVUE private msg quote post Address this user
is the new workshop available for all users or is it a staggered release??

i ask this because i dont see the new version available in my account, only the old one.

strange...
Post 50 IP   flag post
Orange, California
I recently saw only the old one for a while, but then after a few minutes they were both visible again. I imagine they are still working on the kinks in the launch.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Has anyone figured out how to get the "MLS friendly" URLs?

"Those users who feature their Matterport Spaces on MLSs can rest assured that their 3D Showcase will be MLS compliant. You can pull a dedicated, MLS-safe URL for any Matterport Space, which does not include your company name (complying with those MLSs that limit the display of brand information)."

I've even read the manual for Showcase 2.0 and can't find anything about this.

Craig
Post 52 IP   flag post
Under the current URL link, there another tab that says, "presented by and contact details hidden"

its that link that is MLS friendly.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Orange, California
@CarlosFHdz Thank you!

But now that I've found it...

Seriously, they made all the old URLs, that our clients are using on the MLS, be the ones that are the branded ones. So I can't add branding to an existing model without telling my client to first remove the existing link. Sigh.

I have a number of clients that have built up a nice archive of 3D Showcases, and they might like me to go back and add branding to all of them. But to do so, they then have to go back through all their listings on the MLS and add the new no-brand link (well, at least they have to add "&brand=0" at the end of each URL).

Given that realtors are such a big part of Matterport's business, and the MLS rules about branding are pretty clear, wouldn't it have made more sense to have the existing links be the unbranded ones, and have the new, branded ones be the special coded ones, perhaps by appending this to the ULRs: "&brand=1"?

Craig
Post 54 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
There you go using that "logic" again Craig
Post 55 IP   flag post
101636 71 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?