Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Help Wanted

No Longer the Only Matterport Pro? Now What?780

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Yikes!

You are no longer the only Matterport Pro in your area.

Your first-to-market strategy is not as far a long as you had hoped; and, the new kid on the block is offering a lower price - even free - to win business and build a portfolio.

Now what? A race to the bottom on pricing? Promote Quality? Promote Service?

Or ...

At 2:45 pm EST Thursday, 8 October 2015, I will email the 5th Matterport User Group Forum Newsletter to all registered MUG members that includes ....

In anticipation of many Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers in the greater Atlanta area, We Get Around has created a marketing strategy to compete that has nothing to do with price, quality or service.

For example, in this Newsletter Thursday, I will list 22 solutions We Get Around offers, including what we bundle with every Matterport 3D Showcase residential listing in one easy-to-understand price per square foot.

And, it's likely that you have other ways to differentiate your marketing plan that are unique to you. (And, thank you in advance for sharing in this thread too).

Are you reading this post and NOT a MUG Forum member?

Join the Matterport User Group Forum - FREE - by 1 pm EST Thursday, 8 October 2015 - so you receive this eBlast.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT,
I though we were the only ones in Seattle, what is up with that, someone was fibbing to me!!!!!!!

Ron
Post 2 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Note to other Matterport Pros in the U.S. & Canada...

I'm working on a solution to provide extra value along the lines of what @DanSmigrod is mentioning, as well as to provide co-branding on the listing along with the REALTOR/real estate agent so that the general public learns that it is my company providing the Showcases thereby generating more business leads.

I'm experimenting with using Text codes to instantly send a 3D Showcase to someone's mobile device. I think another member in this group uses a similar solution and it seemed like a great idea and an acquaintance of mine happens to have the means to set this up for me so I'm testing it out for free right now (although I'll soon be working out with him what it'll cost me to keep).

Because our company is Queen City 3D, we'll have codes labeled as QC1, QC2, etc. attributed to certain models and individuals will simply have to text that code to the phone number "33344" to instantly get the Showcase link texted back to them.

I'm still working on the "call to action", but here's what I'm thinking it'll look like:

[QC3D LOGO] WAS HERE
Text msg: QC1 To : 33344
To View a 3D Showcase of This Home NOW!
standard text message rates apply

{This would be on a separate coroplast sign in the yard by the listing sign for residential listings or as a rider to the agent's sign}

Hopefully agents are receptive to our co-branding on their listings and I think they will be as it better enables a Buyer to view the Showcase that the agent paid to have done (they'll want as many people checking it out as possible).

If other forum members are interested in doing this as well let me know. As I mentioned, I'm still negotiating with the service provider on a monthly cost to doing this permanently but if there's several users I'm sure I could get a good group rate. Everyone would of course have there own text codes (the QC1 code is what I'm using due to my company name --> Queen City 3D).

I'm told this should work anywhere in North America, but I'd like to test that.

If you are in the U.S. or Canada would you mind texting that code --- QC1 --- to the phone number 33344 and let me know if it works? It should text you back a link to a Showcase attributed to that text code. I haven't gotten the other codes set up yet. The "standard text message rates apply" is simply dependent upon the individual's phone plan. I have unlimited text messages, so there's no cost to me to text anywhere in North America. I assume most have similar texting plans.

Anyhow, this is an option for adding value and differentiating yourself from the competition.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
I texted #33344 and put in QC1 and never got a response.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
I texted it and it said I needed a valid 10 digit number.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@judysmithre thanks for the attempt.

It does work from my phone, but I'm in Canada.

Just to clarify, you texted the phone number

33344 without any hashtags (i.e., #), right?

like this:

Post 6 IP   flag post
Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
I'm in Oregon
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks @Lbelland

That's weird that it works from my phone texting to the 5 digits. I'm using an iPhone.

Maybe it only works in Canada?

Any other Canadian users able to attempt?

Here's what should be sent back to the person who texted:

Post 8 IP   flag post
Omaha, NE
judysmithre private msg quote post Address this user
I'm using iphone. When I put in 33344, my phone changed it to 333-44 and I put QC1 in the message and got no response.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@judysmithre Thanks... I'll troubleshoot on this end to see if I can get it to work with U.S. numbers.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Daniel1977 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 11 IP   flag post
I had these made up to ride on the signs. The really cool agents get the one with the printed QR code which leads to a page on my website where I have links to all the properties I've shot. The not so cool ones get the blank version with a custom QR code sticker that goes directly to the link. I know QR codes are not a huge thing but it's really more about the advertising for me anyway. My website address is in the bottom right corner of the sign.
Post 12 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like an interesting read Dan, looking forward to it!

@Daniel1977

You would need them to have an app downloaded though? Or do phones just read these things these days?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Daniel1977
How receptive have agents been to you placing these signs on their signs. Do you have the QR code send them to the agents webpage, MLS or strait to the Matterport link? Have you though about developing an independent webpage so you can track how many hits you get?

Ron
Post 14 IP   flag post
@smcclell yes they would need to have a QR code reader installed on their phone. I did some polling on my facebook page where I have about 500 agent (friends) and most said they do have a QR reader installed even if they never use it. Likewise with my non agent friends. I think the wording that I used on the sign might be enough to get someone to scan the sign I mean come on who doesnt want to look inside?
Post 15 IP   flag post
@ron0987 I would say 3/4 of them are okay with it. I have two styles the first is the one with the printed QR code that leads to a links page on my website where I have links to all the properties that I've created 3D Tours for. The second option is the blank one. That one will get a custom QR code sticker attached to it that will take them directly to the matterport link. I prefer to place the one that goes to my website so that I can keep track of hits but if the agent prefers the other one I don't mind afterall both have my company name printed on them.
Post 16 IP   flag post
QR codes are easy to generate, but I think their time has passed. I believe it would be awkward for most people to get out of their car, walk across the lawn and scan the QR code.

That's why I like text messaging. You can be down the block and do it discreetly.

By the way.... as a follow up to my earlier posts, I asked my contact why it wasn't working for U.S. based texters.

He emailed me:

"[That particular text] number is Canadian only, hence the reason they can't receive any response.

The kicker for us is we have been talking about revamping the US side for texting but we didn't get the traction so right now for texting it is Canadian only.

It is quite a bit to get it started again. About 10,000 plus 1500/month afterwards. There are other 3rd parties in the US I can point your guys to but internally we would need to see a pretty big desire to relaunch again in the US for texting.

Any idea how many would want it?"

So yeah... I can see how with those costs they'd need a lot of U.S. based users. If there's enough of you that would want to explore the texting option let me know and I could put you in touch with him.

Otherwise, if you're based in Canada the text service is good to go.

Here's what I'm thinking of using as a sign for the listing. Any thoughts for improvement?

-->

Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D (and others)

Happy to include you in this list of Matterport Solutions Directory, when you're ready.

Tryin' to make it easy for us all to find third-party Matterport related solutions that we (all) can offer.

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
@queen_city_3d I think the texting is a great idea but for me personally I never use short codes....by texting your short code number I've now just given you my number and what are you going to do with it is what's always on my mind. I agree that QR codes are not the most popular but if someone wants to see in the home bad enough..... I really like your sign design I wish mine were more creative.
Post 19 IP   flag post
seanminor private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987 I think a single property site takes care of a lot problems we might have.
1. You can track the traffic
2. You can sit in your car and input URL
3. It can offer more information about the property
4. Has a more professional look
5. Easy to use, no need to download another app
6. Becomes another competitive advantage

The only negative is selling the agent on spending a little more money for the site. Not easy. I am having a hard time getting the agents in my office to think outside the box and even try the 3D model.
Post 20 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
@seanminor As an agent I agree 100%
Post 21 IP   flag post
@seanminor those are great points!
Post 22 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Dan, I would really look at other solutions to create 3D other than just Matterport. I had a similar idea, to use Matterport as a way of introducing 3D and VR into the market and to make great modifications to the showcase and camera, but Matterport have done a 180 on their attitude towards service providers. Having extra value to add is great, but it is only valuable if it solves a problem that a customer has. This is why I desperately wanted an API from MP and a year gone there is still no sign of one. Without an API, there is no way of overcoming the inflexibility of scanning; unless you have the place to yourself and the agent and photographer finish on-time you will be greatly delayed. Then there is the overall problem of agents just waiting to buy a camera themselves. They seem to know this is easy work, press and capture, so they want to save as much money as possible. As above, the only way to succeed is to be faster, better and more profitable than the competition. Finally, having to wait so long for any news or updates is the worst. The new showcase was meant to be due in fall, we are now in fall. Don't we even get a specific date? This means any customers who do hear about this want it ASAP, and will not pay now for the old version.

In short, the only way to vote is with your feet. You are not the only MP show in town, well MP is not the only 3D show in town. Remind them of that. If MP don't see service providers as a priority, look elsewhere. There are plenty of new options to make 3D showcases faster, cheaper, better and with more flexibility than MP:

Obbecco (Rep to the user that informed me)
FARO Scenect (Free, fast, simple, only need a kinect)
Artec (pricey, but cheaper than MP and more effective)
KScan3D (Free)
Skanect
Kintinuous
Infinitam v2 (Free)
Inside Maps (high claims, would crush MP if true)
Pelican Imaging (Coin sized camera)
Autodesk Recap (affordable, photos to 3D)
Visual SFM (Photo to 3D, free)
Insight3D (Photo to 3D, free)
Acuted3D (Very expensive, but incredible results)
Pix4D (Ok price, needs good PC but great results)
Structuresensor (new version due soon)
Post 23 IP   flag post
al9901
You have made great points if we were developing 3D models but very few of those give the capability of producing a file output with good photos and produce a full model. This is where MP really has us. They put a great model together for a final product that can be viewed on just about any platform. That is the MP nitch, a lot of the items you have listed are great for 3D mesh modeling or point clouds but lack the photo side. If you do use a product that gives you the great 3D depth and photos it is so expensive it is not worth the time for use doing real estate work. I do not say this to be a sole MP supporter I would love there be a second option to force MP to change and become a little more user friendly. But even as a group we see MP gives a little input and we have all had complaint but like me after doing the research I have not found anything as easy or as fast as MP and the end product is acceptable. I wish some one could come up with a end product that allow a little a little more input by the user for the final product.

Ron
Post 24 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
@ron0987 I was trying to show how many alternatives exist even at this early stage. You are right, that's what a lot of us expected, asked and wish for; the ability to customize the final product and make it unique. MP seem to think they have a monopoly, they only do until these kickstarter campaigns/new solutions are developed over the coming months, then they will lose a lot of people like Dan. To stop him going with a competitor, they could allow these changes and flexibility now, then Dan (and others!) would see no point in trying something new when they have exactly what they want.
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
All,

Other thoughts on this topic?

Dan
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
All,

How you differentiate your Matterport service provider business likely depends on if you are ...

1. Matterport Pro + Real Estate Agent
2. Matterport Pro + Another Vertical
3. Matterport Pro + 1 or more other photography solutions
4. Matterport Pro + 1 or more Matterport 3rd party solutions
5. Matterport Pro only

Are there other scenarios than the above?

If you bought the Matterport Camera (1 and 2 above) because you want to shoot all your listings (or within your brokerage) or other field, you have an advantage on Pros (3, 4 and 5 above).

For Pros that can bundle other solutions – such as aerial – you may be able to compete with a bundle of services that is unique to you.

For Pros that can bundle third-party solutions – such as floor plans, videos and single property websites, you may be able to compete with a bundle of services versus only shoots Matterport 3D Showcases.

For Pros that offer no other solutions, how will you compete with new Pros entering your market? (Hint: You do not want to try to compete on price, quality or service)

Your thoughts on how professional photographers like us can compete with Matterport Pro 3D Camera Photographers that are willing to charge at the lowest end of the spectrum?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
UnrealerAleksi private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is all about delivering more value to your customers. Simple as that. If you have an identical product (just matterport) it is quite hard to bring more value than the competitor. All that you can play with is to try to serve your clients better or go down with the price.

When I talk about value, it can be anything. Offer something to your client that brings them additional value from you (other services, consulting, 3rd party services, marketing, websites). None of the extra services/features need to be unique, but once you have a portfolio of services, it is easier to build better client relationships and it is much harder for competitors to catch up.

We are constantly looking for ways to deliver value to our customers, especially in the web services segment. In our view the key to deliver value with Matterport is to get it in front of people's eyes in a good way. To do that (and allow others to do that as well) we are just about to introduce 100% automatic property website generation from our system.
Post 28 IP   flag post
101437 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?