Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Connections

Wifi connection lost in specific areas725

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on vacation in Italy and I brought my camera to capture some unique and historic places. Tonight I convinced the pastor of a medieval cathedral to stay after hours so I could scan his beautiful church. However I ran into unexpected issues.

My iPad couldn't see the camera wifi and when it did, they couldn't connect. At first I thought that the camera got damaged during the trip, but after much trial and error, we ruled that out, as we could repro the issue in specific areas of the building, in particular along the axes of the cupolas that are covered by mosaics (including gold tiles). As I moved outside any dome structure, the iPad connected just fine. When I moved under a cupola or in line with it, the connection dropped.

I tried of course to reset network settings, reboot devices, turn off church lights, alarms, etc. but the wifi didn't stick. And this was before even launching the Capture app.
Thus our conclusion that, besides something divine, the geometry of the building might have a role in it.

Has any of you experienced similar connectivity issues? I escalated to Matterport support and waiting for their answer. Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
I've had that a few times myself, but only outside. Nothing electrical or obvious to interfere with it either. Had to reset a few times as well.
It happened the other day when I was scanning a house. All was fine until I went outside and it happened again.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
I wonder if the iOS9 update has anything to do with it. I updated the Capture App, but this issue precedes even the launch of the app.
Post 3 IP   flag post
willoreilly private msg quote post Address this user
I had it before where there was another intermittent wifi source in the area. This seemed to affect the iPad connecting with the camera. I walked about 200m away from the building and made the connection, the camera and iPad then stayed connected back at the building for scanning.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini

So looking forward to seeing the results of your medieval cathedral scan. I wish I could have been there for your pitch to the pastor.

Like @willoreilly, I recall that a lot of Wi-Fi connections in the area was a challenge. I recall I was shooting a commercial office space. Rather than hiding behind walls, I walked around the camera. I might have rebooted the iPad and Camera multiple times.

Perhaps you might try to reestablish the connection in a crypt or stay a pray.

You're wife is very understanding.

Enjoy your vacation.

Buona fortuna,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini I too have had this issue when I was scanning a staged apartment in a retirement village. I spent 50mins trying everything I could think of to connect them. I eventually called Matterport but due to the time difference couldn't get anyone. I ended up going back to the office (a 70km round trip) to get our first generation Matterport camera to see if that made a difference. It was at that point that Matterport called me and told me that there maybe some signal interference and to turn off the power in the building (a retirement village which has roughly 300 occupants...)obviously that wasn't an option! Once I tried connecting to the first generation camera I got a signal which was very intermittent so a scan that should have taken 20-30mins took over and hour! I couldn't move too far from the camera and couldn't have anything (ie a wall) in between the iPad and the camera - embarrassing and a nightmare!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Thanks @dansmigrod and @property3dnz. Matterport support just replied and here is the text. I'll try to follow their advice and see if it works. Thanks all!

Hi Paolo,

Hope you're doing well. Thanks for writing in. What an amazing church! Would love to see the model!

Checked in your account but looks like it's not been uploaded yet?

Not sure where the difficulty lay in connecting - it's usually wifi frequency conflict or bluetooth when that happens (rare).

Did this happen even if you stood right by the camera? Try restarting the iPad,camera and Capture App? Try closing background apps on the iPad?

The cupolas are far enough up that the 3D mesh wouldn't be an issue there (it only gets created out to 15-20 fee), unless there are bluetooth repeaters, wifi waypoints, etc. In each of those locations (were there?) or another sources of bluetooth or cell data in those locales? (like people with cell phones with bluetooth and/or mobile data.)

Basically the connection from iPad to camera can be affected by 2.4 Ghz wifi or strong enough local interference on other bands, and bluetooth.

Please make sure that bluetooth and mobile data is turned off for your iPad, cell phone and anything any near the camera, where possible, for best results

That's basically it.

We're always definitely looking at ways to improve wifi, but at times there will be wifi (for instance cell phones in AU and NZ (not sure about EU) use bands outside of those regulated by the FCC here in the US.), frequency conflicts and bluetooth interference.

Hope some of this helps!

Please let me know how it goes, and if you have further questions about this or anything else!

Best,

Glenn
Matterport Support
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Tosolini I'm pleased New Zealand got a mention in the email from Matterport LOL
Post 8 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
I wanted to share an external model I shot of the medieval cathedral that I was unable to scan inside, due to weird wifi interference. I was curious to test the capability of the device at night and see learn the limitations.
The process went smooth and I was just reminded by the app to not move too far from point to point.

San Giusto Cathedral in Trieste, Italy (night & exterior scan)
Post 9 IP   flag post
Very cool. It's not easy to do outside scans, but I guess the lighting there helped. Well done.
I'd like to see a scan of a house that gets the whole house in (top included)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Following up two failed attempts to scan this old church in Italy due to some weird interference, at our third try we disabled all alarms, security, lights, everything that could possibly scramble the wifi signal between our camera and the iPad.

We even tried to shield the scanner with aluminum foil to prevent interference. No luck.

We finally realized that the only part of the church that was working was under the cupola apse, which is built in thick stone. Here are some photos of our attempts.

and here is the apse, the only area we could scan.

San Giusto Cathedral Apse
Post 11 IP   flag post
WOW! What an incredible space it would have been an amazing scan if you managed to do it! I however love you ingenuity in what you tried!
Post 12 IP   flag post
There should be a wired connection between the camera and ipad to eliminate problems like this.
Post 13 IP   flag post
jimfelder private msg quote post Address this user
I had this problem on Friday November 13th and also tried again tonight, Sunday at 5:30 pm.

This home is vacant in a normal neighborhood. No alarm system. I tried everything. I called support and they said I've tried everything they would have suggested. And I mean everything. I went several blocks away to try it and it worked fine in my car. (produced an interesting scan and actually worked just sitting). Except they suggested a different day and time. So that's why I tried tonight.

Still no luck. The only thing I can suggested is there is a business complex of offices, 1 story behind the home down a hill. Just behind the home. This is a 2 story home.

I refunded the purchase to the Agent and we will just do a different listing for her. Her first scan, I really hyped up Matterport. This was just so embarassing.

I left a message with Matterport since it was after hours.
Post 14 IP   flag post
That's crappy.
Have you tried getting a wifi analysis app on your phone and see if there are any locations that show something significant? Would be interesting to see if something comes up
Post 15 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
@jimfelder Sorry to hear about your trouble. The dependency on the wifi is a potential breaking point that could be resolved with a wired connection. Not sure if this on Matterport's roadmap, but if the camera will be sold in countries with different telecom regulations, it is to be expected that some issues may arise. The fact that this happened in the US though is hard to explain.
Post 16 IP   flag post
There should be a hard wired usb connection directly to the iPad so you can disable it if needed
Post 17 IP   flag post
Totally agree with the hard wire. That way you can just hang or mount the iPad on the tripod and have none of these unexpected issues. The home is 40 minutes from me. I've gone out there twice and ended up with no money from it.
I did not even think to download a wifi app. but then, even if I did what would I do then?

I asked the agent if she could just go door to door and ask them to turn off their power. Joking of course. Then there's the business complex behind the home.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Just thinking if we could find out the cause it might be a road to getting a fix. Maybe having the ability to change channels would be an option. At least that is something that could potentially be done on the current cameras and not an upgrade on the next
Post 19 IP   flag post
I am sorry. I forgot to mention what the support guy said. He said the ability to change channels is not in place but it's something they are looking into. He didn't say it would or wouldn't be available for current cameras. I would hope it could be a firmware update.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Ah ok. Good to know
Post 21 IP   flag post
Breezz private msg quote post Address this user
I had the same thing today.
Was scanning a house, but kept losing connection.
Tried everything for over an hour, but there just was no way.

Camera and iPad are fine, but they just don't connect in that house. Every other place is fine.

Big problem if you ask me!
Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Breezz

Ugh!

What does MP suggest? I'm guessing that you tried restarting your iPad and the Camera? Forgetting any network that the iPad was trying to connect to? Other?

Dan
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

When this happened to me (in a rest home) MP suggested the following - turn off any device with blue tooth, turn off the power in the building I was in and finally take the camera and iPad to a place where it would connect then quickly take it back.... not ideal solutions.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Property3dNZ

Thanks for sharing...

Just saw this about Christmas lights affecting Wi-Fi.

---
Christmas lights might be slowing down your Wi-Fi http://flip.it/86AxS

Dan
Post 25 IP   flag post
101587 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?