Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceBackUpiPadWarning Will Robinson

IPad is full7029

Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
My 128K ipad is full - not sure about the workarounds on backing up the data and keeping the same iPad. I guess it makes sense to purchase a new iPad - 128K - one job will pay for it. With several jobs in the pipeline this week and next, I’m not sure I have the energy or desire to fool with.
It’s a shame that deleting models erase them from the my Matterport account.
Any other solutions or advice?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think there is an elegant solution to selectively backing up raw models from the iPad and free up space. I got a 256GB Ipad Pro just to be on the safe side.
Post 2 IP   flag post
BrianAshley private msg quote post Address this user
I think about each model before I delete it. But in reality, very very few jobs ever result in going back to re-shoot something, except those where it was discussed from early on. Don't hold breath waiting for a client to think about calling you to tweak a tour. If they didn't request it in first week of seeing their tour, the odds 10,000:1 of requesting it later.
I have a 128K and although next one will be 256, to defer the deleting process longer, I have processed 400 tours and manage to keep my enough space available for adding two 300+ scans w/o thinking about it. Much of my space has been taken by a large hotel conf center I've been waiting 5 months to return for spring/ exterior shoots we both want included in the tour. Shooting those next week and I'll be back down to 70% available.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wonderdawg

The short answer: buy a new iPad (most capacity as possible).
The longer answer: Matterport should offer a Cloud hosted backup and restore service at no charge.
The longest answer:

WGAN Forum posts with the Tag: FAQ includes:

How to Backup Your Matterport Spaces on iPad (and why not to delete)

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
One of the pending issues from Matterport is offering a way to store our raw models without having to use a very expensive (ridiculously expensive) storage device called iPad.

It is nonsense.

Or, as I asked many many times before, Matterport should develop an Android App so we could use a Samsung Tablet with external memory (micro SD) and problem solved!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Wonderdawg You can just connect your ipad to your PC through USB cable and in iTunes to save all data within "Capture" to your HDD.

When you want to restore them, just empty all data in "Capture" and then copy all of the backuped data to "Capture" folder.

I try this method today: 1. copy all data to HDD; 2. delete all data in Capture; 3. copy all data from HDD to Capture folder; 4.It works, all data restored.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
I use itunes backup and restore option. Then I go in and copy the backup to a external hard drive. I label the back up and take screenshots of all the models I have in that backup and save those images within the same folder as I store the backup. Makes it easy for me to load that specific backup back into the iPad if needed.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by htimsabbub23
I use itunes backup and restore option. Then I go in and copy the backup to a external hard drive. I label the back up and take screenshots of all the models I have in that backup and save those images within the same folder as I store the backup. Makes it easy for me to load that specific backup back into the iPad if needed.

Dear Matterport,

When will you implement cloud-hosted backup and restore?

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
Delete. Keep it simple.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Delete what you know you will not be using. On June 1st have all your inventory tallied and use a program like imazing to back up your tours. Reset and app and hope not to need to go back to those you backed up.

If you do need to go back, you can now spilt your year into 2 or possibly 4 quarters of tours by backing up in these milestones. And picking back up where you left off.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks all for the responses. Once I delete the models, I no longer have access via My Matterport and the ability to view statistics.

It’s a bit disconcerting as I’m so use to keeping my raw files, finished jpegs and catalogs of images via Lightroom and Photoshop intact on multiple hard drives and the cloud such as Dropbox, Google Drive, BackBlaze, Crashplan and the old images on iPhoto.

I ended up buying a new iPad with 128; the previous iPad held 160 models.

One would think the MyMatterport app would be a container like Lightroom or even GMail to house the all and every finished model regardless if they existed on a iPad.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101428 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?