Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 406 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 32,418 Page Views | 18,255 Unique Visitors | 24 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AcquisitionBLK360CommentaryHexagon ABLeica GeoSystemsMatterport Going PublicMultivista

Why Hexagon will buy Matterport6879

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV Deep Dive: Multivista + Matterport and Leica GeoSystems BLK360 + Matterport | with Brian K. Smith, a Subject Matter Expert on the BLK360 (Product Manager of Emerging Technologies for Multivista and Technologist of Leica Geosystem) and Zamon Kingi, Director of Franchise Sales for MultiVista

WGAN-TV Leica Geosystems BLK360 Mashup with Matterport: 1st Look with Chris Hickman
--

Hi All,

I could imagine Stockholm-based, publicly traded Hexagon buying Matterport. And, I am not alone ...

From this WGAN Forum discussion:

WGAN-TV BLK360 + Multivista + Matterport

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
I've said this quite a lot -- but if Matterport ends up being part of [Hexagon] conglomerate, I would not be surprised. Investors paid back (and handsomely) and a movement towards Matterport having enterprise solutions as well as consumer solutions. As the focus on enterprise will be where the $ is, I would imagine that consumers would be well taken care of too as the bottom line would be covered.

[Hexagon is the parent company of Leica GeoSystems (BLK360) and Multivista.]

The Sun, Moon and the Stars Aligning for Hexagon to Acquire Matterport

1. Matterport + Leica GeoSystems deep integration (presently in public beta) (Announced Sept 2017)
2. Matterport + Multivista deep integration (1st announced in 29 August 2017)
3. Matterport tech can help Multivista scale faster
4. Matterport aggressively pursuing the AEC Space (in the last 12 months)
5. Hexagon had the first use/early access to the Matterport SDK
6. Hexagon employees: 18,000 in 50 countries | Matterport Employees in 2017: 174
7. Hexagon 2017 Revenue: $4.2 billion | Matterport 2016 Revenue: $19.2 million
8. Hexagon marketing and sales resources far exceeds Matterport
9. Hexagon expertise in AEC: their sole focus
10. Hexagon would benefit from offline hosting (and might need to buy Matterport to get this)

The potential acquisition of Matterport would be strategic. Matterport could scale faster in the AEC space with the help of Hexagon. (The integration of the BLK360 and Multivista are just two "small" examples.) And, Hexagon could grow faster with the help of Matterport; particularly if Hexagon has 100 percent control of the Matterport technology and technology road map.

Plus, the tech teams are already working side-by-side.

About Timing

✓ I could imagine a deal announced at HxGN Live 2018 in Las Vegas 12-15 June 2018.

More than a year ago, I speculated: Why Google Will Acquire Matterport While I could still imagine that, I could also imagine that Hexagon will move faster and the only question will be if Google trumps Hexagon on acquisition price for a completely different business model to leverage Matterport.

What do you think? Will Matterport be acquired by Hexagon?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I'm hoping Google acquires me! But in the meantime If either of them merge with Matterport I think it could only improve on a great product.
Post 2 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Would love that, so Europe can take over and make really cool products out of it e.g. a Whitelabel-Backend with the MSP branding and full control over our own content. At the moment I assume that MP`s current CEO wants too much $$$. So I guess Hexagon will wait - and they can - until they get a good deal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mori

✓ white-label
✓ ownership
✓ backup system

So, when do you think Hexagon will buy Matterport?

I could imagine a deal will be announced in time for SPAR3D Expo & Conference.

We'll know in about two weeks if I am right or wrong (or just wrong on the timing).

Companies are motivated by deadlines. SPAR3D would be EXACTLY the right place to make this announcement.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
About Timing

✓ I could imagine a deal announced at HxGN Live 2018 in Las Vegas 12-15 June 2018.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod - hard to judge as I still think for the Hexagon Strategy there are better companies to acquire than Matterport.

With these they could also deliver better products for their enterprise customers in europe. MP has yet to many disadvantages and restrictions and is US based: no good sdk, so many missing features which have been requested by their customers now for "ages", not really GDPR or DSVGO compliant IMO ...

With other companies from europe it would be very easy to build a product series targeting the clients of Matterport but not having the disadvantages and restrictions. At I also think these companies are much cheaper as MP Investors want back the money they have burned.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I assume Hexagon will also announce something NICE at HxGN Live before going BIG public at Cebit 2018: https://mailchi.mp/leica-geosystems/wahre-innovation-beyond-the-visible?e=45468c708c
Post 7 IP   flag post
The english version: http://facts.leica-geosystems.com/beyond-the-visible-us
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@mori

We'll find out in June 2018!

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
More food for thought:

https://www.multivista.com/about/

On MultiVista's timeline, there are 8 different milestones. The Matterport partnership is the chosen logo for the 8th milestone and the leading item here

Now, MultiVista (part of Hexagon) also partnered in 2012 with E-Builder. If you do some deep digging, you'll find that their parent company owns SketchUp. MultiVista / Hexagon do not own them -- however, like Matterport, they are in Sunnyvale.

The commercialization of the OBJ file in conjunction with the release of the Matterpak, is, in my opinion, a pre-emptive move for Matterport to have some desirable 'milk' that one would see as a reason to buy the cow. I would imagine that the utilization of these files at $50/pop is massively higher from Multivista and industries that Hexagon/MultiVista relate to and that function like them.

However, possibly the most important thing to look at is the patent portfolio that Matterport owns. (https://patents.justia.com/assignee/matterport-inc). There are many examples of companies acquiring other companies only for their patents and then essentially ending popular products that were once competing products. Google buying Motorola, Adobe buying Macromedia, Microsoft buying Nokia, etc. -- these types of acquisitions for patents are sometimes more strategic than simply buying a company in because you like what they are producing. Matterport have many patents awarded that relate to processing and displaying 3D data, and I imagine that if Matterport were wanting to position themselves as a valuable company to acquire, they would begin enforcing their patents.

I'm not going to go into the patents at the link above, however, I have read through all of them and my takeaway was nothing but amazement about the value of Matterport in holding these patents. I've already mentioned my concerns when it comes to GeoCV producing a similar system, albeit with capture from a different setup. I would imagine that Leica already recognizes these patents.

The BLK 360 integration is, to me, a 'dating relationship' between the companies. Now, if we see Matterport provide integration with other cameras, such as the Lasiris VR or dare I say Faro equipment, then I would say that all bets are off.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
@DanSmigrod - hard to judge as I still think for the Hexagon Strategy there are better companies to acquire than Matterport.

With these they could also deliver better products for their enterprise customers in europe. MP has yet to many disadvantages and restrictions and is US based: no good sdk, so many missing features which have been requested by their customers now for "ages", not really GDPR or DSVGO compliant IMO ...

With other companies from europe it would be very easy to build a product series targeting the clients of Matterport but not having the disadvantages and restrictions. At I also think these companies are much cheaper as MP Investors want back the money they have burned.

I don't know that any of this really matters. Matterport has interesting patents and these 'missing features' might not be the features that Hexagon would be interested in.

You do know that the SDK v1.0 was built for MultiVista. This is evidenced by the fact that they were the only company to use it. I had full access to it because I'm special, and I can say that yes, it pretty much only contained the necessary features to power their implementation.

With SDK v3.0, which is FANTASTIC (you mention that they have 'no good sdk' -- not true!), I view the features that are being built out in two buckets -- #1) Is this for MultiVista? #2) Is this for Matterport to develop new products. And I see the availability of the SDK as being a way to create a guiding philosophy that determines which features are appropriate and make sense to make available -- and also a way to LIMIT which features CAN be created and provided to a partner.

There's a funny joke about how many high profile people will go to a restaurant that they like and order 'off the menu'. The restaurant often obliges and I imagine that they prepare themselves for this. I think that offering a singular SDK helps to keep a sanity check in place that controls 'off the menu' requests and keeps a healthy balance.

I'm rocking the SDK and am on the edge of my seat for the next version (As I am kooky and already know what features are rolling into it... and they might not excite too many people, but I'm practically planning a release party coding jam for myself.)
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360: regarding europe not one patent from Matterport is worth a single dollar here. At the moment I work for the european patent office and their experts told me that none of these patents would work in europe in front of a court.

Regarding the SDK v3.0: maybe I expected too much from a creative customer point of view as I am not a software developer and hoped they would also offer examples and whitelabel apps for easy adaption and as a starting point to learn as a beginner. Not to speak from a UI based app for creation like e.g. the tools Unity offers with the slogan "Focus on storytelling, not coding ...": https://unity3d.com/unity/features/editor/art-and-design

But I get now full support from XR.Base Amsterdam as I have located my MP2 there for shared use, as I am at the moment see not enough opportunities to create a revenue stream that´s worth my time. I earn much more in less time with my main talents in UX/UI and Frontend-Development.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Are there any additional app examples I can have a look at which are build with the SDK 3.0 besides Multivista? Also ones made with the VR SDK?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@mori ... For applications like you're suggesting, I would imagine that the ability to download Matterpak and use the OBJ / Point Cloud in any other development kits would sort of be what you would be expecting.

For examples of the SDK - it's pretty much me making stuff right now. Anything else seems to not have been announced --

https://mpembed.com
https://www.metroplex360.com/sdkdebug/

I have another super secret project that I was building on SDK v1.0 that I've put to the side due to lack of time. It's a bit wild and out there and I'm hoping to find time to work with it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Either I am wrong about my prediction. Or, just wrong on the timing. Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Two years ago, I predicted that Hexagon would acquire Matterport.

I was wrong!

Matterport Official Media Release: Matterport Going Public

Dan

---

All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Matterport Going Public
Post 16 IP   flag post
101704 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?