Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
HDRImage EnhancementPro2

Matterport or DSLR HDR?6822

WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Are you under the belief that still images shot with the Matterport Pro2 camera are not good enough to compete with HDR images?

I've always believed that images captured with the Pro2 camera, if re-touched properly can look as good if not better than most HDR images. When I talk to realtors, I tell them that when they use my services there is no need to also hire a traditional photographer...I can do it all, which usually saves them 1-2 hundred dollars in my market area.

Here are some images from my Pro2 before & after retouching shot mid-day on a bright sunny day.

Post 1 IP   flag post
3dvirtualview private msg quote post Address this user
That is definitely quality. Are ypu using Photoshop?
Post 2 IP   flag post
eggardner private msg quote post Address this user
I used to think that too, but I definitely get much better quality when shooting with my DSLR, especially external shots.

You did a great job with your Matterport touchups though!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
Thanks @3dvirtualview @eggardner

I started shooting stills in HDR and outputting them via Aurora HDR and some Photoshop, but I soon realized, that in my market, the realtors would rather save the $$$. It's a great selling point.

I still shoot the exteriors with a Canon 5D MKIII in HDR just not the interiors. And I don't do any of the retouching anymore either. I use: http://www.omorfia.me/. They do a great job and save me a lot of time and aggravation.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@rzphotoman thank you for sharing your source. They don't show prices. What is their deal?
Post 5 IP   flag post
advancedhdr private msg quote post Address this user
@rzphotoman REALLY REALLY awesome..

Pro2 is fantastic image quality.

And, I am a mirrorless guy ( a7rII ) and I see no reason to shoot DSLR.

" One Stop Shot! "
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Due to my company growing and the need to fit our clients into our schedule, I sent our new field tech out and offered free photography from Matterport Snapshots to the client.

We'd served him DSLR photos before, but there was really no other solution.

I made some snapshots -- most at 80% zoom, and then cropped at 7:5 (4:3 was just too restrictive and our MLS doesn't force 4:3, it just forces 1024 x 768 or less)..

Anyway, I came on here to share them as I am relieved that they are more than acceptable after some edits.

I felt that applying clarity and using hue/saturation to dial out some of the blue/purple tones was needed as well as a few other gradient filters, and reducing the 'White' slider on most... getting good contrast ...

Anyway, I wanted to share too and was delighted to see that we're discussing this same thing. Not the most amazing furnishing inside...

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@3dvirtualview Their prices are $1.50 $1.75 & $2.00 depending on what level of retouching you need. The'll do a free sample of 3 images for you to see their work. If you send them 3 let them know you want to see their Pro Level service.

Nice work @Metroplex360
Post 8 IP   flag post
@rzphotoman,

Did omorfia.me add in the layers eg. the tree on the TV, the white to blue skys?

Thanks
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@advancedhdr I'm quite curious about mirrorless. Sony's marketing page has quite a lot of interesting information on why they think it's better, however, I'm skeptical as Sony is not a leader in the DSLR space but seems to be one of the early leaders in the mirrorless space. They have more to gain and less to lose.

From what I understand, the cons are that battery life is less and you do not have the joy of an optical viewfinder. Call me old school, but I prefer looking through the camera at the scene.

I suppose I should ask -- does your A7RII's EVF change the game on optical viewfinders? I have never felt compelled to use my Nikon D7000's EVF... rather save the battery.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@rzphotoman thank you. Definitely added value to my customers. Appreciate this.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 We use a Sony A7Sii for video and just got an A6500 (my daughter was in basketball) and I wanted to get a crop sensor to get to the action. Sony glass is expensive. If you are serious about shooting you need GMaster lenses as they got the F stops.

You do have a viewfinder to look through it is a screen in there with great resolution. You see what you are shooting.

The A7R has rediculous megapixels. The new options are A9 $4500 or A7Riii is about a thousand less. But the A9 is only 24 MP.

I found that the 12 MP of the Sii is a little low for my liking for photos but GREAT for video. We did buy it for video and hoped to use it for pics too.

The A9 and Riii have changed batteries and last longer. I have never really had an issue with batteries I just have 4 with me when I go to a shoot.

Maybe you should rent an A9 or A7Rii and see what you think. There are rental companies that give you credit towards buying if that is what you decide with the rental.
Post 12 IP   flag post
eggardner private msg quote post Address this user
When I do a scan I offer the photos for free from the scans, but when I just do photography and video without the virtual tours I use my Canon 5DS and love it. I find I do a lot less post production, and the raw colors and clarity are amazing. Quality is great for video too (no audio out jack from the camera though if you're doing interviews or including audio)
Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frstbubble
Maybe you should rent an A9 or A7Rii and see what you think. There are rental companies that give you credit towards buying if that is what you decide with the rental.

THAT is a REALLY REALLY GOOD IDEA!!! Thanks There's a shop that rents in my path to most of my shoots and I'll see about doing this!
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
@advancedhdr Yes...they added everything that's not in the original I sent them.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@metroplex360

I used to use a DSLR Canon5DM3 and others.

They bug me.. they are clunky, make noises, slow,

Personally, Unless you are a wedding photographer anyone in this business should not be using a mirrored camera... Actually, mirrorless is now faster so I take the wedding thing back...

Today, the mirrorless viewfinders are in amazing HD. But remember, most of the time you will be looking at the screen on the back anyways...

The mirror in a DSLR is actually a distraction from the actual image.

From stops of lighting, ISO to what you are actually recording is senseless on a DSLR.

When you look thru to eye piece on a mirrorless, you are seeing the actual image that will be recorded..

When you look thru an optical prism view finder on a DSLR, the mirror has to move out of the way.. when the curtain moves and the image is then recored, its not true.

For the same reason your iPhone does not have an optical view finder, the same goes with mirrorless cameras.

Ask anyone, mirrorless is quickly replacing the DSLR.

One more thing.. you will probably NEVER use the 42MP Full Frame on the a7rM2
If I were to purchase today, I would go with the a73 as 24MP is more than enough.
Scoop us a 16-35 lens..

clickable text
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@rzphotoman

Thanks for sharing.

Hi All,

Wondering what others think about Matterport Pro2 compared to DSLR for HDR?

Best,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my clients represent high-end properties averaging about $3M and ranging from 2500 to over 12,000 sq ft. They expect the best in each of the products I deliver, MP, HDR photos and professional video. In this regard, only RAW format stills and the dynamic latitude they provide when processed through Lightroom and Photoshop achieve the professional level required. I shoot with the Sony a7sii as it's incredible low-light sensitivity captures dark detail in both still and motion files without noise, and though limited to 12M pixels, this is still high enough for beautiful letter-size printing.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101422 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?