Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseCamerasPlatforms

Need recommendations: non-proprietary6719

grmngrl private msg quote post Address this user
Hello,

What are some good non proprietary 3D modeling platforms if any besides MP.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl

Can you describe your use case or the problem you would like to solve?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
I have a client that does not like to host with MP. He wants to have a 3D Model with self host options.

BTW, I am running into this problem more often since that attempt from MP to highjack content and distribute at their free will. I feel it is very short sided as they would probably sell more cameras instead of beating customers into submission to their hosting terms.

Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl

Here are WGAN Forum discussions tagged:

CUPIX
immoviewer
iGuide
InsideMaps
Realvision
GeoCV (presently in New York City area only)

Here are platforms for hosting 360ºs ...

Platforms for Hosting 360º Photo Spheres

Plus ...

Compare 3D/VR Platforms for Scanning/Shooting Homes: Matterport, InsideMaps, Realvision, iGuide, immoviewer (and More)

Does that help you get started with your research?

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl We are developing a methord to make your private showcase on Matterport can be access by your customer easier.
If you use private showcase, then you kept all the rights even in the not rollbacked version of TOS from Matterport. Matterport won't get any right from your private showcase.
We will provide another way to hide the real Matterport showcase link and provide every showcase a programmable password page to protect the access to them at the same time.

The name of the new application is JuMP-UV v1.0.

We will released it soon.
One drawback is JuMP-UV v1.0 can support Chrome Browser only.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod Thank you very much Dan. It definitely helps.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
In viewing the other options:

@GrmnGrl asks for a non-proprietary system. The only one that really exists is the good old fashioned DSLR Camera with a fisheye lens and a panohead. Stitch and build your tour with KRPano, Pano2VR or your preferred old school software.

The boom of advancement in this space has happened within hosted options and no major advancements have happened in the DIY / Self Hosted space. Perhaps someone in that camp will be inspired and go that direction.

--

InsideMaps is on the only option that is a 3D solution with 3D transitions that Matterport has.

Cupix has all the necessary components, but transitions are not 3D. I assume they will be at some point in the development cycle.

GeoCV is limited to NYC as Dan pointed out.

None of the other options are 3D tours.

And lets be clear -- other end-to-end solutions exist like RealVision and iGuide - but they aren't 3D and aren't non-proprietary. Then publishing platforms for various media exist too like ThreeSixy.tours and SeekBeak (in a funny way, Cupix also fits into this categry) -- but they aren't 3D.

There is no platform for creation of a non-proprietary 3D Tour

Even JuMP's proposed platform is proprietary in that it requires violating the Matterport TOS to extract the contents of your tour to then be played on a hosted platform that exists elsewhere that is built to copy the functionality of Matterport.

If JuMP were to be releasing a fully downloadable and self-hosting platform, I think that his efforts would raise eyebrows -- and that it would make the most sense if he would create author tools to allow people to create their own tours, but also a manner by which content from other channels could be brought to the table.

But ... then again, this is what Cupix is, isn't it? Cupix just hasn't released a full 3D viewer yet. They have everything necessary to do this, so I assume that it's just a matter of time before Cupix blows away the competition, leaving it and Matterport as the two commercially avaialable options for creating a 3D Tour.

FYI - iGuide has the ability to create a 3D environment using the 2D scan information ... but they don't.

--

However, GeoCV, Cupix and InsideMaps all host the tours on their own platform. There's no ability to download the tours are run them on your own hosting.

The inability to have self-hosting is not a Matterport exclusive choice. Matterport have an excellent CDN setup and servers that are tuned for fast delivery of assets.

Matterport's TOS is actually MORE user-centric than many of the other platforms' TOS in regards to copyright.

Matterport's TOS changes that got us all worked up asked for a limited license, wherein all the others have already stated that they have this.

--

About Matterport's Big Ask

I believe that Matterport's TOS change was an attempt to set up a scenario wherein they would be able to pursue initiatives and bring a pre-existing library of tours to the table.

I believe that getting new scans created and creating channels for these to be acquired affordably will be the ultimate solution.

I believe that they moved too fast on the TOS changes and that the TOS changes and the ability to provide copies of existing models for private use for 3rd party integrations would not have increased adoption of new 3rd party integrations to a significant degree.

I believe that the existing content library is largely unusable for things such as remodeling anmd insurance, which are to my knowledge the only two use-cases that were proposed.

I believe that in all scenarios new scans would need to be made and that the end result of Matterport's 'Big ask' would have been this:

Matterport would send marketing to the addresses of home owners after a sale is complete offering services in their new home -- such as: 'Did you know a 3D Model exists of your home? Are you wanting to remodel? We have a platform that will allow you to virtually remodel your home and connect directly with furniture sellers online.'

Matterport would also be primed for connecting with retailers and contractors who might be able to use a 3D space for their services - and bringing the content library to them may help in negotiating the contract in the first place (the 3rd party believing that the content library is usable and offers opportunities in its current state).

However

I've racked my brain on this topic. I think that Matterport have some amazing ideas and I believe that some of them will succeed in driving adoption, increasing demand, and getting us more jobs.

I just don't think that leveraging the existing content library is a key to this.

If Matterport wanted to mandate a limited license to use any tours they wanted to so that they would be able to sell "ice cream cones" and got it -- the actual benefit of all the tours would sell 100 "ice cream cones" from use of the available library and future models.

Now that Matterport is not going to ask that, I believe that any other method to sell "ice cream cones " will still sell the same 100 "ice cream cones."

In other words, I think that Matterport's "big ask" wasn't helpful to their own ideas -- and just scared a lot of people.

The hysteria that occurred caused some short term damage -- as @GrmnGrl mentioned, she has encountered clients that have expressed distrust with Matterport. However - I think that the short term damage in order to redirect and refocus the initiative may ultimately have been helpful for both MSPs and Matterport.

--

Other platforms are cloud hosted and have the same TOS Matterport were wanting to ask us for!

Cupix:

4.2 Ownership. By uploading, submitting, sharing, publishing, making available and/or allowing others to access or use Your Content to or through the Services, You grant to Us and Our affiliates a worldwide, royalty-free, fully paid, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, and fully sublicensable right and license, (but not obligation), to reproduce, distribute, modify, translate, adapt, prepare derivative works of, display, perform and otherwise use all or part of Your Content, by any and all means and through any media and formats now known or hereafter discovered, but solely in connection with the Services and/or Our business activities such as without limitations, for promoting and marketing the Services.

GeoCV:

By uploading any Content you hereby grant and will grant us and our affiliated companies a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty free, fully paid up, transferable, sublicenseable, perpetual, irrevocable license to copy, display, upload, perform, distribute, store, modify and otherwise use your Content in connection with the operation of the GeoCV Service (including in connection with enhancing the operation of the GeoCV Service) on your behalf, in any form, medium or technology now known or later developed.

Google Street View:

https://policies.google.com/terms#toc-content

When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.

iGuide

https://youriguide.com/terms/

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to Planitar, you hereby grant Planitar a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, and display the Content in connection with the Service and Planitar's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. You understand and agree that the above licenses granted by you in all Content are perpetual and irrevocable and that Planitar may retain server copies of all Content and may display such Content subject to limitations contained in these Terms of Service.

--

Except

InsideMaps:
https://www.insidemaps.com/terms

^^ Inside Maps's TOS seems golden to those who are aggressively concerned about protecting the theoretical use of their content from being used in any way other than what they intended.

---

The verbiage in all of these TOS(s) basically are saying -

'We're allowed to use your content to present it -- but reserve the right to use your content in manners that may not yet have been determined.'

It's all a lot of nebulous stuff to prevent lawsuits and, I believe, to ultimately protect both the user and the company.

--

I wonder what things would look like if any other platform were in the same stage of maturity as Matterport ... GSV aside (as adoption is massive), I think that for all intensive purposes -- all providers offer the same terms. Matterport may have overstepped their trust in many of our minds -- but -- they moved backwards and (if you're still reading) I can confirm that they are --really-- working hard at pleasing everyone, driving adoption and boosting our utilization of their platform.

They make $ on our SAAS fees and processing fees They want to SUCCEED FASTER and scan more
Post 7 IP   flag post
Nerdvice451 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the help. @DanSmigrod
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 thank you! I could also not find any other solution besides MP.

Could this be done with the Leica BLK and 3D modeling software?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@JuMP I don’t think it matters if the model is public or private. The TOS state that you are not allowed to extract the model. To my understanding at least.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@grmngrl The JuMP-UV v1.0 won't extract any thing from showcase.
It can run under TOS friendly mode.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@JuMP ok, please let me know when you have an example. Thank you.
Post 12 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
AntonYakubenko private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl GeoCV allows downloading, self-hosting, data editing (3D model, 360 images, 2D floor plan), white labeling. And to the best of my knowledge, only GeoCV and Matterport produce true 3D+360 experiences, which include a realistic 3D scan and really smooth transitions between 360 images. Our DIY solution is still in development, should be released later this year [2018], though I wish I could provide it to everyone ASAP. Now we're acting as a service provider for NY area as well as other states if travel costs are covered. If for a particular project you're considering subcontracting us - we'd be happy to serve. If not, we'll reach out as soon as our DIY solution is available. Anyway, I wish you good luck in finding the solution you're looking for, though unfortunately it's a hard thing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@grmngrl Thank you. Will send you the DEMO soon.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@AntonYakubenko Thank you. Do you know what camera is or will be used? Please also let me know when it is available if you can.
Post 15 IP   flag post
GeoCV
Co-Founder
New York City
AntonYakubenko private msg quote post Address this user
@grmngrl We use a phone with a 3D camera attachment for capturing. Right now it's Samsung Galaxy S8 phone and Occipital Structure sensor attachment. Eventually we'll support more models of Android and iOS phones and consider different 3D cameras. We try to be hardware agnostic and allow using off-the-shelf hardware at its cost.
Post 16 IP   flag post
101429 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?