Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
IndustrialMuseumsScanningScans

Matterport LARGE Scan | 23,000 SQ FT6611

Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

First, let me say that yes I did search "Large Scans." I came up w a number of old, archived threads and most of them simply mentioned the total # of scans involved but NOT the total square footage which would have been helpful which is why I'm asking here again.

I am looking to quote scanning a 23,000 sq.ft. industrial property. Rather than quoting the largest # of scans you've done, could people respond by total square footage? Need to know if this realistically would be doable in one scan rather than breaking up by floor?

Examples of links would be extremely helpful as well and if you would be open to it, would love to talk to you as well about what you had charged for that size of a job.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie Abrahams
Post 1 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
95000 square feet processed and operational. Can’t show it right now but 23000 is no problem whatsoever especially an industrial space
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV Live at 5: How to Price Large Matterport Project with WGAN Forum Founder Dan Smigrod

@Cabrahams

While others chime in, double-checking that you saw all WGAN Forum discussions that are tagged: Large

Also ....

Above is the recording of WGAN-TV Live at 5 on Tuesday, 17 October 2017 about how to price large Matterport projects.

WGAN Basic, Standard and Premium Members receive an All Access Pass to the We Get Around Matterport Training Academy Videos, including this one. (I will PM you the password for the video.)

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Cabrahams

Officially, Matterport will help you if keep the scan count max at 200 and sq ft max at 10,000.

That said, many, many, many of us have scanned super-large spaces with Matterport.

You can actually do an unlimited number of scans, BUT, it is possible that it will not process.

And, if it does process, it might crash in webGL if over 200-250 scans; or, run slowly on smartphones.

My recommendation:

1. Manage the client's expectations. You may have to break it up as multiple models (though unlikely).
2. Regardless, scan it all as one model.
3. Once done, duplicate the model.
4. Delete scans in the duplicate model to get to 200 to 250 (tops).
5. If necessary, duplicate the master and create two models.
6. Use a level on EVERY scan. It can get challenging when you get past 200 scans in terms of scanning errors. So, minimize that risk by using a level on every scan.
7. You can have an unlimited number of scans for Matterport to Google Street View (my best guess, when it gets released)
8. You can have an unlimited number of scans in CoreVR (and you can edit which scans for VR in workshop)
9. Eventually, once you publish to Google Street View, you could use that iFrame for your client's website
10. @Richierichks suggestion for rich media MatterTags is a great solution too
11. Keep in mind that Matterport charges once for processing the model. So, process the entire model even while you duplicate it and prepare one or more models with 200-250 scans.

I included a model I scanned. I recall it is 17,500 sq ft and took about 400 scans. I recall that I got the scan count down to about 215. We managed the client's expectations that the Fitness Center might have to be delivered as a separate model.

Keep in mind that when you delete scans, it is like a house of cards. If you remove a critical scan, the model could implode. For your sanity, never delete scans from the master.

Dan

P.S. Once you get done with the project, please share it in this thread and share how you ended up doing it and why.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

@Cabrahams

Matterport Guide to Scanning Empty & Repetitive Spaces

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Cabrahams

How big can my Matterport model be?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Cabrahams

For a large, industrial scan, you may find using these Matterport Markers helpful.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Las Vegas
DaveFahrny private msg quote post Address this user
Charlie
I have done some large scans. The ones I have done are open commercial build outs. I did this one just to see what it would take. I did the whole perimeter. I did some scans down the center to have it filled in well. I did this in under 200 scans. I did 2 floors and each was 46,500. That’s why it says 93,000. It is all open so it makes it pretty easy. I hope this may help give you some perspective on a large space that may help You. Here is the link

https://virtualistic3d.com/virtual-tour/town-square-north-building-6551-level-3/skinned/

I hope it works out for you.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dave! Would you be open to sharing w me your pricing? You can DM me if you would like?

Thanks,

Charlie
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s 20k Sq Ft on 4 levels. No problem. clickable text
Post 10 IP   flag post
101641 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?