Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DystopianLegalMatterport EcosystemTOSTrust

ANNOUNCEMENT: Terms of Service Rollback6479

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user

Hi everyone.

I’m announcing that we will be retracting the new language in 3.7 of our Spaces Processing and Hosting Terms very shortly due to the confusion that had been caused by the inaccurate article on Inman News and the high amount of misinformation being disseminated through social media.

Unfortunately, some parties, with various motivations, decided to proactively seed the story on Inman News that provided incorrect and misleading information about the terms change that brokers and agents then saw. We are concerned that the wrong perception that the change created privacy issues might cause agents or brokers to rethink their use of Matterport, and we do not want this change to hurt our customers’ businesses. Protecting your current business is more important than developing the longer-term ecosystem, and I am very sorry for anyone whose business has been negatively impacted.

We were never taking your copyright, were never giving ourselves the ability to market to homeowners or agents directly, and were never getting the ability to publicly share the models. However, there are now agents and brokers out there who believe we were doing some or all of these things. That is unfortunate.

We have gotten some really good feedback on changes we can make to the implementation of our ecosystem program, and will be taking that into consideration and re-introducing terms that will enable subsequent homeowners and residents to PRIVATELY make use of the 3D model. Some participating in the discussions might find this hard to believe as there has been so much focus around the inaccurate information, but the majority of our customers are very supportive of these changes once they understand them.

Building this ecosystem is important, as many of you recognize, so we will come back to this. We will make clear the limitations of this license and the reasons that this does not create privacy or liability issues for property owners, agents, or MSPs. We understand there are concerns some customers have with allowing Matterport to have this limited license, and we want to make sure there is a two-way agreement covering the limited license with our customer, as always, owning the copyright. As important, we need to make sure the homeowner has the ability to control the distribution of any private information captured within the Matterport model.

Finally, there are many different perspectives on appropriate commercial and contractual terms to cover this limited license which we need to walk through and take into account as we finalize our approach. For example, we plan to have terms and processes that cover how we will handle opt-out by our customers.

I’m truly sorry that the roll-out has caused problems, the team and I have been listening and engaging with you, and we commit to continue to work with our customer base and the real estate industry to roll this out the way it needs to be.

- Bill Brown
Matterport CEO
Post 1 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you Chris. It seems that they have listened and are going to reconsider and design a new TOS.

Let´s hope this next time is the good one!
Post 2 IP   flag post
DaK private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome! Thanks for the update.
Post 3 IP   flag post
3D Renderings
AEC Elevation Drawings
Montreal, Québec
ArchimedStudio private msg quote post Address this user
Great news! But quite honestly, Matterport has fallen very low in my esteem.
Post 4 IP   flag post
eggardner private msg quote post Address this user

This is definitely good news on many fronts, not least to know that the team at MP do actually listen to the users. It's unfortunate that it came to this, all the way down to serious discussions about class action law suits.

I'm not one of those who thinks that all is well and back to how it was after this announcement though, because frankly I have lost so much trust in the company and their business practices. However, this is a great start and hopefully as they plan the new Ecoservice they will put MSPs (the copyright holders) at the front of their thoughts as partner and not a group of people who can be bullied into doing what they're told.

Kudos to Bill Brown though as he could have had his minions be the ones who faced up to all the anger, but he did show up to put his case forward and to listen!
Post 5 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 Thanks for the update Chris
Post 6 IP   flag post
808virtually private msg quote post Address this user
Hope it's fair.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
When very shortly becomes reality this will be good news.

However when all is well again all the people that reviewed them over this should give a better ranking and comment what they did but Matterport had the character to make things right. Review as you would want someone to review your business if something like this happened and you rectified it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps if there had been a better apple-like announcement/demonstration of what the hell this ecosystem thing is, to drum up enthusiasm, etc, this may have been a better roll-out.

I predicted earlier today (after private correspondence with an inside source) that something positive was going to occur. MP is still by far the best tour solution out there, and they need to do everything to keep it that way, both technologically and "socially."

Stay the course and don't try to get cute. The Google Maps integration is the best thing yet. Well, there's the fast scan thing. Don't mess with anything else. Yet.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
You can't fix what has been broken.

After a weekend with layers and internal discussions, implementing a new 3D camera into our workflow is now a priority.

No wonder why Matt Bell chose to quit, he knew what was coming.
Post 10 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I would disagree.

And you ain't going to find a better presentation system yet, I predict.

I reserve the right to be mistaken.
Post 11 IP   flag post
There is still a lot of impact to be felt for the credibility of Matterport for AEC use. You can't simply play with confidentiality when there are NDA's involved. Cloud Based 3D reconstruction are now available threw various providers, such as RealityCapture, which provide amazing results. New cameras that will employ the Intel RealSense D435 and innovatie algorythms, such as stereo slam, will soon appear to the market. Sure, I'll keep going with MP for a while, but my roadmap has changed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
advancedhdr private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I think it was smart and courageous that Matterport admitted to correct the problem (rollback) ASAP.

Thank you Matterport.

I am very grateful that Matterport is owning up it, making corrections so we can all move ahead.. I have NO DOUBT that it will profoundly scale even further from this lesson.

Kinda makes me proud as the company is real, and listens.. not out of fear but out of its MSP.

What I appreciate most, was when in the new TOS, it never negated it’s MSP.. just like an auto dealership, it needs its sales personnel.. it may look at other ways to sell cars, however, in the end, it still needs and values the sales person!!

I am pretty sure, No.. I’m 100% sure we have all made a mistake and had to bite our teeth, own it, and roll back .. make better...

Matterport did this 30 Minutes ago..

I have a new respect for that..

Not an angry, vindictive motive!!

We are talking about a company that’s product is emotional, (like being there) it’s incredibly ahead of the game which Harlan is alluding, it’s futuristic..
And we are all part of it..

I think Matterport too is learning about the possibilities as well..
Post 13 IP   flag post
While we are at it... Alternative for AEC: https://www.holobuilder.com/
Post 14 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
@Advancedhdr very well said and should be heeded when Matterport makes things right
Post 15 IP   flag post
Nicolas,
HaloBuilder is not 3D, it’s just like GSV 360 pano to pano..

It’s like comparing Zillow 360 to Matterport..
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Matterport...I will sleep better tonight.
Post 17 IP   flag post
mikeb private msg quote post Address this user
When do Matterports patents expire?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Not surprised they had to do this for now. But still not relieved. Let us ask some questions.

1. Who owns our work?

2. Why did it take them so long to get this TOS changed?

3. Why do we need an ecosystem, let me change that; why does`matterport want an ecosystem?

4. What are we going to do when this happens again, because it will? they will find a way to try and take total control and leverage our work.

5. If what the lawyers found had strong grounds, then it needs to be investigated, not just left there because they "changed" the TOS again. And the flock is calmed again.

_ I found the new EU laws very interesting and it will affect Matterport in a big way. So adapt or close down.

6. The ecosystem is total rubbish and wasting time and resources. They must develop the technology and have a look at our wishlist because there are a lot of competitors out there that are listening and being consulted with on how to do this right.

7. We had 3rd party creators that the almighty Matterport shutdown. So why the change of heart Matterport ?????? Did you find a new way to monetize these services for yourself? But in the same process, you short-sightedness delayed the development of your product. I have never in a long time seen such a backward company.

8. There are people on this forum that works for Matterport and is withholding a lot of inside information they know. And your comments and actions speak loud.

9. The fact that Inman reported this is actually good, we need to show them that next time the gloves are not coming off and they will responsible for their own downfall.

Happy Monday all - and until the next TOS change be vigilant because something is brewing in the background , but it all will be revealed in time. So keep your pitchforks close by.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Hey Gerhard,

Even BEFORE the TOS... ( Please WGAN members, correct me if I am incorrect )

1. Who owns our work?
>Its PUBLIC domain.. was before TOSV2,
is now..
EXAMPLE.. If you visit https://matterport.com/gallery/ you will see almost 500 spaces from other people.. they don't control the distribution.. If you had posted to Google, it would be the same.

2. Why did it take them so long to get this TOS changed?
>Business are continuously evolving and making the product, brand more juicy to the shareholders.

3. Why do we need an ecosystem, let me change that; why does`matterport want an ecosystem?
>Because, in laymen terms, technology 3 year from now will be profoundly different.. three years ago, did you really think you would be talking to your iPhone.. asking it to give you direction or anything? Well, Matterport is covering their butts and MAPPING the future growth.. to INCLUDE US..

4. What are we going to do when this happens again, because it will? they will find a way to try and take total control and leverage our work.
>I think this first round was premature.. but good in thought.
>I think the second version will be much more catered to the content creators.

5. If what the lawyers found had strong grounds, then it needs to be investigated, not just left there because they "changed" the TOS again. And the flock is calmed again.
Because they recended this, there should be no lawsuits.. If there were damages, it would depend on the individual to file a small claims. IMO if any.. again. its been 3 days at most.

_ I found the new EU laws very interesting and it will affect Matterport in a big way. So adapt or close down.

>NA

6. The ecosystem is total rubbish and wasting time and resources. They must develop the technology and have a look at our wishlist because there are a lot of competitors out there that are listening and being consulted with on how to do this right.

>I disagree.. 100%.. Matterport is not only covering their butts, but the future as the 3D dominance scanning solution. Also, they are not dumb.. they know that WE are the utmost of importance.
The ECOSYSTEM is so far out there that no one even Matter port quite understand...

>But, today there was one REAL LIFE example whereas it could have worked...
I went to IKEA furniture.. and looked at a wall mirror for sale.
The display INSIDE the showroom had an Orange logo that said " RoOomy " with a VR code.
Using my iPhone, from within the showroom of Ikea. I was able to view the product on the wall of the showroom, in the next year or two.. I will be able to view the furniture inside my house or my clients or a rental house...

7. We had 3rd party creators that the almighty Matterport shutdown. So why the change of heart Matterport ?????? Did you find a new way to monetize these services for yourself? But in the same process, you short-sightedness delayed the development of your product. I have never in a long time seen such a
backward company.
>...

8. There are people on this forum that works for Matterport and is withholding a lot of inside information they know. And your comments and actions speak loud.

>***Disclaimer.. I DO NOT work for Matterport I have NO interest in the company beyond MSP at this time.
I am happy that the CEO has good intentions for the company, the growth and the MSP.
REALLY... ***

9. The fact that Inman reported this is actually good, we need to show them that next time the gloves are not coming off and they will responsible for their own downfall.

Bottom line, they messed up, they are making corrections and revision to fix it..
its a great company we should be proud of working with..
Post 20 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
This is good news!

But the whole TOS issue still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I have to admit though, that the idea of the ecosystem has also fascinating aspects.

Now I am curious, how Matterport will rebuild trust in their system.

Rebuilding trust should be on top of their agenda.
Post 21 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
When Matterport is reviewing the ecosystem issue maybe they could also review the free obj issue. Giving back the low resolution OBJ would be one step towards trust.

Not taking features, but giving features is the way to build trust.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@advancedhdr thank you for clearing this up. I appreciate your time answering these questions. I just wish Matterport can answer them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Good news.

As an MSP I didn’t grt any email about any of this debacle directly from Matterport. Did anyone else? It was from WGA.

They really need to sort their contact strategy and PR across all fronts. I’ve adopted in to all comms.
Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
@angusnorriss I haven't either. Whats up with that?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
The TOS rollback was announced Sunday on Facebook by Bill Brown. I'm sure that there will be something sent out today to address the controversies of the past week.

The good news is that if you are an MSP who is not involved in any form of social media, including WGA, then you spent last week blissfully getting work done and nothing in your life changed

As for me, I had a very unproductive week.
Post 26 IP   flag post
clickable text

This video explains unsubscribing
Post 27 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
It was not unproductive Chris. Every obstacle and each stone in your path teach you something.

In the last week we learned more about the fragility of the business we are in. We learned about risks.

I have been telling to whoever wanted to hear that in every business there are risks that are out there in the open for you to see, and there are hidden risks that you cannot see or, sometimes, you don´t want to see.

In Matterport's case the more evident risk is that we are all tied together to a closed system that, if it ceased to exist would leave us with nothing more than a big ugly black heavy piece of furniture. You mentioned this in a post in Facebook when you said that Matterport is not a camera but a part of a bigger system. You said that the Matterport camera doesn´t do anything useful unless it is tied to the cloud processing provided by Matterport. And it is true!

So we all learned that we purchased the Seinfeld's equivalent in photography: a camera that does nothing! go figure!

During this last week we realized how close to the edge we are from where we are seated. How close we are from falling if our business depends solely on Matterport's ability to survive in the long term.

We also learned, if you read carefully what Bill Brown wrote in one angry answer to a MSP´s post, how difficult is the financial situation of Matterport. He practically said that wihtout this limited license that they were going to use to sell access of OUR models to third parties, they couldn´t finance further research and development. It is very interesting how honest people can be when they are angry!

This is not a Cannon or a Nikon, where you don´t mind about the future of the company. In Matterport's case "we are Matterport", so if Matterport closes, then we don´t have more business (unless you are a diversified entrepreneur that haven´t bet on a single horse in this particular race). And we have learned this too.

So, don´t feel bad about an "unproductive week" because it has been a week of deep and rich learning for all of us.

I only hope things get better.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360

The good news is that if you are an MSP who is not involved in any form of social media, including WGA, then you spent last week blissfully getting work done and nothing in your life changed

The problem is if you were not on them, then they just do what ever they like.

And how don't you do business without social media?
Post 29 IP   flag post
@jfantin Well said, Sir. This week also showed a lot of competitors out there to get their tech to market faster.

I think we all need to follow JUMPS advice and make sure all your data is backed up. Rather sorry than save right.

But things will get better.
Post 30 IP   flag post
101646 68 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?