Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppGlassMirrors

Glass issues?64

sdubose99 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, an issue with a home that was done yesterday. https://my.matterport.com/webgl_player/#model=rq9CwvqEsp8

Had a tough time in the kitchen top floor, around the island. Lots of glass in that room, we also had a tough time in another home with a lot of glass... is that a common issue, and how to deal with that so we can do sweeps everywhere we want?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
You can use the mirrow tool for glass too as you capture. You can also try scans closer together, then delete the ones you no longer need.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
fabien private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

When I look on your model then my first impression is that there are some rays of lights on the ground (sort of white stripes you can see them on the ping pong table room), so maybe the camera have issues when the sun light is too strong.

Fabien
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dan, will using the mirror tool prevent issues as I'm sweeping? I didn't know if that was only useful after the showcase was complete and live.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Fabien, could be... we also had similar trouble with this one... turn right into the living room and you can see glass and lots of light but no direct light on the floor. https://my.matterport.com/webgl_player/#model=HFESXSZjWBX
Post 5 IP   flag post
fabien private msg quote post Address this user
Maybe the problem is related to how the camera can find common points between the sweeps when you have a lot of mirrors and light perturbation. Please, take a look at this model

https://my.matterport.com/webgl_player/#model=dTSdRbj8dmW

On the hall there is a lot of reflection on the glasses
but I think that the camera can find enough point on the ground to match the differents sweeps together. In you case maybe you have to move the glass table a little bit away from the windows so the camera can use points on the ground.

Fabien
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@sdubose99 You can use trim tools during capture and in post production. By setting the camera at lower than eye-level – I am 5' 10" and use my chin on top of the camera to set the level – scans are more likely to be successful as well as connecting scans.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks Shorty! Just kidding... We always have the camera about the same height as you.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Post 9 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I would suggest as Dan has stated. After and issue with a scan enlarge the previous scan and use the mirror or window tools, you can even trim it to block out the offending area. Since it not 3D it will make no difference in your final product. I always edit my scans as I go as it much easier then trying to remember where all the offending issues were.

I did have a strange issue once where a mirror was on the other side of a wall in another room and for some reason I kept getting errors. I had to un-mark the mirror and the scan took.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks guys... interesting discovery: We determined that the sync difficulties might be due to clouds and sun alternating through the windows. If a sweep is done in one location with sun on the floor, and the next sweep is done as clouds pass... Matterport might not allow the sync.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@sdubose99 it's unlikely that the light change between two scans affected the scans 'syncing' ... More likely that the sun scan simply failed. The camera does not like bright sun.

Or, if too much 'matter' changed, the camera gets confused about common points to stitch.

In this example at a University in the greater Atlanta area, I captured the indoors during the day and the outdoors was shot at night (with additional hand-held and key lighting). So, I move from LIGHT scan to DARK scan as you exist the building to the patio.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
i would try the scans the scans closer together. Try one right in the corner
Post 13 IP   flag post
Thanks again everyone... today we had another one give us minor trouble in a room with reflective surfaces. Glossy floor near windows, and glossy granite counters. Not marking windows right away seems to have been the issue... after he started marking windows, the syncs got better.

Supported by Bob at Matterport:
"Certainly if there are many reflective surfaces within the home and brightness changes could affect the alignment ability. I would also be curious to know if you were marking these window in progress, as i would suspect not marking them, along with the lighting changes could impact alignment."
Post 14 IP   flag post
101436 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?