Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceCapture AppReal EstateScanning

Matterport versus Transported6299

immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
Our company is looking at switching over to offering the Transported.co virtual tours instead of the Matterport ones we have offered for just over 2 years. I'd like to know if any of you have worked with the Transported and Matterport platforms and what your thought are on the differences, pros/cons.

Obviously, there is a significant cost difference and our own internal research has found that for our customers there is little difference in the perceived value of the experiences overall. One area we personally have had issues with is the inability to present the virtual tours from Matterport in an offline setting through application integrations... something we are able to do with nearly every other virtual tour system. And of course the inability to make a simple backup of scans, which has been an issue since day one... But beyond the technical deficiencies, what are your thoughts on the differences between the two.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I think that it would be a big mistake. There is no comparison between the two.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@hometakes I wouldn't say there is "no comparison" between them. There are some significant comparisons that can be made. Keeping in mind that the primary use for virtual tours in our market is for listings only, and again, when we surveyed our customers, they literally did not see any significant difference between the experiences of platforms.

Some of the main things we are considering are:

- Cost of equipment/upgrades ($1399 vs $3995)
- The overall monthly cost, including hosting, processing, and add-ons
- Offline Integration ability (Number one feature request by our customers.)
- Brandability of Tours
- Total ROI
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
There's nothing about Transported that you cannot do using Pano2VR or KRPano. You can just host those tours on GoDaddy or whoever you want to host. You can build your hotspots to look just the same.

I'm not seeing a unique product here.

Matterport, on the other hand, is 3D. The dollhouse is a selling point. The walkthrough tour appeal is huge. Virtual Staging is coming and will be massive. Publishing to Google Street View opens up more leads.

Consider, you will need to be marketing your tool against Matterport Service Providers.

I'd get a Matterport Pro-2.

If your customers that you surveyed cannot see the difference - you didn't survey enough of them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@immersive I'll make this analogy to you then and maybe you will see the point a little clearer. You have a Rolls Royce Phantom and you have a Kia Forte. Both are cars and both will get you from A to B sitting in the back seat right? Now ask yourself this, which one would you sooner be riding in on that trip from A to B (both have heavy tinted windows so no-one from the outside could see you so that takes the "show off" aspect out of it)?

And if you dont feel that there is that much difference between the two of them, dont waste your money on the Rolls Royce (Matterport of Course), buy the cheaper one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Until something else comes along that is equivalent, mp is still the better end user experience for smooth transitions.
We have created matterport like smooth transitions from 360 panos and it's very hard, time consuming and expensive. The doll house sells it, but ive found it's hardly used
A competitor has a lot of ground to make up to be a threat to mp. It will happen of course, but given the financial investment they will need, it will probably have to be a similar business model
Post 6 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@jamie I totally agree. Thats why I my first comment was that there is no comparison between Matterport and transported.com. Matterport is miles and miles ahead with the use experience.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@Jamie , I think if the update the UI and clearly show the different functions then maybe more people will get engaged. If I was head of marketing I will be pushing these cool features in cool and creative ways. But I am rather focusing on my business and will leave the "marketing to the experts". I have seen too many times people hitting the play button, and I think that is where the "video" reference is coming from. Had a look at the new Beta showcase not bad can be improved on still.

Also delivering a tour on the same days blows the clients' minds, images edited and floor plan. My record is within 4 hours of capturing I delivered all the material, including colorized floor plan and 3D Floor plan with 15 images edited ( my cost $30 , mind blown )
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 I totally agree that Matterport is the superior technological offering, hands down. But for us, we are addressing some specific concerns from our customers who ultimately will decide if Matterport is the solution in our market. So far it has not been, largely because of just a couple technological shortfalls that to most may seem minor or trivial, but to our customers, are important factors in their decision making. (Keeping in mind too that we deal primarily with homes in the $20 Million+ range that are not typically listed on the MLS and virtual tours are not made publically available.) I also totally agree that Virtual Staging and Google Street View are going to be huge for Matterport, but again, in my market specifically, where we are dealing with strictly ultra high-end luxury homes, these are not features that have a lot of value to our customers. Offline presentation and the scan size limitations are the two major driving factors in our decision right now.

The inability to integrate Matterport experiences into kiosk systems has been one major roadblock to adoption by some of our larger brokers who use these systems extensively. For some of my luxury brokerages, this is a deal breaker. They would LOVE the idea of presenting a Matterport space on the 80 Inch Touchscreens in their offices, but the capability is simply not there, so they prefer the Transported/Pano2VR type tours which work well in that environment.

Another issue we have run into is the innate size limitation in Matterport. We have found that our Matterport spaces cap out at around 10K sq feet... many of our estate homes are well in excess of 3 times that. The experience of the dollhouse is completely lost when you have to have multiple models to cover a single home. This is where some of the other tour products also hold an advantage where we are easily able to create a tour of these large homes as one contiguous user experience.

All that to say, I don't rule out Matterport or its value at all. But I also don't see it remaining the dominant provider in this space either. As WebGL/OpenGL and AR technologies continue to make leaps every day, a strong competitor is likely not far away in my opinion.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@immersivespaces What is preventing your client to view MP models on a big touch screen today? If you are meaning the lack of offline capability, then I agree. Otherwise, it's already possible to create a custom UI around a database of MP scans, and have users browse through them.

Aside from that, we tested MP scans on bigger screens than 80"

and if you want to go really big, you can use multiple projects

Post 10 IP   flag post
Hi @Tosolini - Yes, it is the lack of ability to run the MP Model offline. With other tour packages, we have been able to download the presentation files and run them locally without the need for an internet connection. This is especially important in a kiosk that does not have the ability to be online at all because of location. With systems that have online access, we have been able to use the MP Models with some impressive results on large screens.
Post 11 IP   flag post
benn1973 private msg quote post Address this user
If the tech is so cheap then market both!
Post 12 IP   flag post
damon01 private msg quote post Address this user
Just checked it out. Image quality sucks. Going from room to room isnt very fluid. Also, the walls seemed stretched out and blurry. Not much competition for Matterport IMO.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @immersivespaces
... our own internal research has found that for our customers there is little difference in the perceived value of the experiences overall. ...

The only thing that matters in this debate is what prospective clients think. If good enough is good enough for the client (to win more and bigger premium listings more often) then switching the conversation to image quality is irrelevant.

As I wrote in this related We Get Around Network Forum discussion ...

When is "good enough" good enough (for you)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @DanSmigrod
Hi All,

When is "good enough" good enough (for you)?

In two related We Get Around Network Forum discussions in the last few days (here and here), Members of the Forum debate the imagine quality of:

360º 1-click cameras for under $500 versus DSLR shot 360ºs
Matterport Snapshots versus Matterport Snapshots after post production

Rather than debating is the [image] quality good enough compared to [fill in the blank), I wonder if the standard should be is the [image] quality good enough to get and keep the business?

While many of us aspire to always do great work, sometimes are clients are only willing to pay for good or okay.

So, do you skip the post production on Matterport Snapshots? Do you buy an under $500 360º 1-click camera or opt for the $2,500 360º 1-click camera solutions.

Before you answer, how would you answer this question?

Are you an artist or a business person?

Sometimes you have to choose.

Wishing you a Happy New Year,

Dan

@hometakes
@Metroplex360
@Jamie
@Gerhard
@benn1973
@damon01

While I respect and admire your pursuit of image quality and viewing experience, the only thing that matters is what does the client want. Unless you can show that [fill in the blank technology] will help real estate agents win more and bigger premium listings more often than [fill in the blank technology] then you will continue to be an artist (and that's okay), BUT not maximize your potential income.

I tend to see the world in black and white: it's about about the customer: not about the (always) changing technology.

@immersivespaces

We (all) look forward to hearing what path you decide to pursue and why and then what is the result.

All,

I look forward to hearing your additional thoughts.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Let's just go ahead and say that @ImmersiveSpaces has a client that just HATES Matterport and won't accept it. What would we as a community pick as #2?

I'm going with iGuide. Cupix is still not quite there yet (but has every single bit of potential) and GeoCV is only available in New York (from what I understand). Then again, if a client hates Matterport, they'd hate on GeoCV a bit more.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101424 15 15