Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.objAdviceAECCADFBX

What is a FBX Model?6291

Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there

Can someone help me with a question I have just been asked - what is a FBX Model? Can we download one from an MP scan? I'm a photographer not a techie person and I have no idea!

I appreciate any help!
Post 1 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
its a 3d file format that is used as an intermediate exchange format for different (autodesk) family of 3d softwares.

you can get the OBJ file from matterport and then find software or services to convert it to FBX.
(think of it like getting a JPG can converting it to a TIF.. same but different)

If your client can take FBX, they should be able to take OBJ too. ask them.

Just be cautious about what they expect the OBJ or FBX to be.
The obj u get from matterport may be acceptable for some usage, and not good enough for other usages.

Again to draw analogy - JPG can be really lossy low quality, or can be high quality, high res, big file size etc. Both are JPG files. Same goes with OBJ and FBX.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@aerialpixels thanks for that I really appreciate your help!
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
@Property3dNZ Seeing how you now have to pay for the obj file maybe you could also ask them if they could use the point cloud file. It is of a better quality. It costs the same because it is all in the Matterpak.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
FBX is an amazing file format, since in addition to the "regular 3D data", you can also store digital camera's, lights and even animation data..

If you want, I can save one of your OBJ file as an FBX, however I don't think it adds any value since the additions mentioned above are not included in the original OBJ file. If your client can import FBX, he/she should also be able to import the OBJ file like @aerialpixels mentioned.

As for the pointcloud data.. While it's accuracy is superior to the OBJ file, it is not a mesh. So depending on your clients needs, skills, and available software, that could either be a very good alternative, or a useless one. So asking them about it like @frstbubble suggests might be a good idea.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it
Post 6 IP   flag post
101436 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?