Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.PTSPoint Clouds

Point Cloud data inside a Point Cloud?6141

VRimpact private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there.
I was wondering if anyone is an expert in pointclouds?

If i had a pointcloud file say of external land and house, captured from a drone, could we then import point cloud data of internal scan of the house created by matterport?

Whats your thoughts? Is this possible?
Post 1 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, this can be easily done with the right software. But I would ask a basic question on why would you want to do that, just interested in the reason why. I am always interested in different reasons to use point cloud data.

Ron
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tech restricitons is the main reason. I have access to a drone, and matterport camera.
Matterport works internally only, Drone gets most of outside, but i cant fly the drone inside.

Im looking to make a point cloud for an area with several buildings in and we would want the inside and outside converted to one single point cloud file where we can see everything.
Post 3 IP   flag post
For the most accurate point cloud you would have to take a few exterior shots with Matterport so there is data on the outside of the building so the point clouds have overlapping data. You could use Autodesk Recap to merge the point clouds. If you do not have exterior data you can use a software called Cloudcompare that allows you to manually place two sets of data point together. This is less accurate because you are doing it manually. Hopefully that helps. These are just two of several software's that will do this.

Ron
Post 4 IP   flag post
Bernardhhi private msg quote post Address this user
I came across this very interesting video from the folks at tourbuzz clickable text is this what you’re wanting to do?

Bernie
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Bernardhhi thanks for that link. Very much along the lines of what I am trying to do - but with one slight difference.
Despite that being an amazingly jawdropping video and I would love to offer that service, In this video they place a designed CAD / Sketchfab model onto it. Which in itself is cool, however im trying to find a way to drop a matterport tour in it, avoiding the need to do the whole 3D drawing.
But yes, you near enough nailed what I am trying to achieve! Thanks for the share...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Here is a clip from a Matterport point cloud opened in Recap, so again the key point would be to have a few scans outside the house so that recap can find common point to merge the two point clouds together. so I think you could easily merge the two together.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@ron0987 thank you for the information. Great help! I knew the answer would be out there.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101437 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?