Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360GearGoogle Street ViewGSV

Which 360 Camera for a Street View Project?6033

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

How would you reply to this email that I received from a WGAN Forum Member?

Happy New Year,

Dan

——-

Dan,

I am looking for some advice and help. I am looking for a small 180 or 360 camera.

I am working on a Google street view project. The catch is it has to be a small format camera that I can place on a tripod and take one or two shots in just a few minutes.

The key is if it is 360 but I cannot be in the shot. So I was looking at the Nikon 360 camera with the thought take one shot from one side walk to the other than take the second shot.

Then the camera stitch the two shots together. Or take two 360 shots and stitch the two clear shots. I know you are looking at a lot of cameras so any input would be great.

The project needs me to take several shots and businesses in a day. So I looking at your input and thought of what camera might work.

This is a budget project so not looking to purchase a Iris360 which would do this but don't want to pay 1600 plus dollars.

Thanks

[redacted]
Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
Use a Ricoh Theta S with the "VANISH360" app. It removes you from the picture as long as you keep moving from the one side to the other. It does not do HDR though. Ricoh Theta S is on special on Amazon for about 236USD
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport to GSV is almost here and even Matterport Pro-2 360 Snapshots will look better than a Ricoh Theta S's imagery. If this mystery person owns a Matterport - I'd go Matterport. They can moderate the tours, or have a pro do it.

If not, I'd go with a DSLR w/Fisheye. I have no confidence that ANY one shot 360 cameras provide good depth of field and quality results.

If you want this project to LOOK good, please the clients, and potentially earn you more business down the road -- then do it right.

The Ricoh Theta S/V one-shot seems to be the go to for this, but I'm not a fan of the quality at all and put mine back in its box after shooting 3 tours with it. I was very displeased at the low quality. It's a 360 SELFIE CAM, not proper 360 camera that provides depth of field.

@leonvanzweel If you don't mind, please provide links to the tours you shot with the Ricoh Theta S. I'd love to see how you achieved success. I'm not trying to be negative towards you by posting my negativity towards this device.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 I have done a few experimental tours with the Ricoh Theta S in HDR mode. The normal mode did not appeal to me. I tried a Ricoh Theta V, but due to wifi range (about 2 meters), I returned the camera. One of the challenges with 360 cam is the Where to hide problem and with the Theta V range problem I could not hide and trigger the camera. I then tried the VANISH360 App which is OK, but I am back to the single shot quality. I have just received a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens and a Nodal Ninja R20 (4 shot pano) to use with my Canon 80D. Will start playing with it shortly and see if I can't generate high-quality HDR Panos for use with CUPIX tour. Will keep you updated once I have done a tour. In the meantime, here is one of my models shot with the Theta S in HDR mode in a CUPIX tour. It is very quick to shoot and I will keep it for the Budget offering. CUPIX TOUR WITH RICOH THEAT S HDR
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
Matterport to GSV is almost here and even Matterport Pro-2 360 Snapshots will look better than a Ricoh Theta S's imagery. If this mystery person owns a Matterport - I'd go Matterport. They can moderate the tours, or have a pro do it.

If not, I'd go with a DSLR w/Fisheye. I have no confidence that ANY one shot 360 cameras provide good depth of field and quality results.

If you want this project to LOOK good, please the clients, and potentially earn you more business down the road -- then do it right.

The Ricoh Theta S/V one-shot seems to be the go to for this, but I'm not a fan of the quality at all and put mine back in its box after shooting 3 tours with it. I was very displeased at the low quality. It's a 360 SELFIE CAM, not proper 360 camera that provides depth of field.

@leonvanzweel If you don't mind, please provide links to the tours you shot with the Ricoh Theta S. I'd love to see how you achieved success. I'm not trying to be negative towards you by posting my negativity towards this device.

@Metroplex360

Please see this related We Get Around Network Forum discussion:

When is "good enough" good enough (for you)?

Happy New Year,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

I was looking at your website and saw your pricing for GSV tours. At that pricing what are you shooting with? It seems really low for DSLR considering the time required for stitching and moderating. Of course, this could be because of my limited amount of experience and you are just able to do it so much faster due to your massive amount of experience.

Just trying to make sure I am not pricing myself out of the market.

Thanks!
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here is the short-list that I will share with the Pro that reached out to me:

1. Wait for announcements at the 2018 Consumer Electronics Show (9-12 Jan 2018 in Las Vegas), if you can.

2. Ricoh Theta S - when shooting indoors, use HDR. While I wish the quality was better, it is good enough to get the business. I like the small footprint for editing out the tripod or adding a logo.

3. Insta360 One – I have not tested enough to compare the imagine quality. I do like the small footprint when connected to a tripod (without a smartphone) and the video / live stream. The free software makes it each to batch process with adding a logo patch for the tripod.

4. Samsung Gear360 – while I have not used it, many that have are fans. If you use an Android phone, you may prefer this solution.

I left the Ricoh Theta V off the list because WGAN Forum Members are reporting that the Blue-tooth remote has a much shorter distance that the less expensive, earlier generation Ricoh Theta S.

While I have not used the Garmin VIRB 360º Camera, at least one 360º enthusiast raves about it (See this episode of WGAN-TV):

WGAN-TV: Garmin VIRB 360º Camera - Demo and Discuss with Kevin Kunze

At the 2018 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo in May 2017, I chatted with the founder of the VUZE VR 4K Camera. Conceptually, I like what I heard.

360º Video: VUZE Camera (3D/VR/360º) @ $799

Since you are a professional photographer, you may not feel that the image quality of the under $1,000 360º 1-click cameras is "good enough" so you might consider buying the NCTech iris360Pro or Insta360 Pro (and either selling them used, once done with the project) or see if you can use your first project to get more work.

Please let me know which camera you decide on and why....

If you use our Amazon Store to buy Cameras or Gear and Accessories, we do receive a commission (our tip jar) ...

Happy New Year,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@RichieRichKS I'm shooting with my Matterport Pro-2. My prices are basically Matterport Prices and the GSV is a marketing angle to sell Matterport Tours. It's tedious.

I am REALLY looking for is Matterport's GSV platform to be finished as the accuracy is phenominal and it's a real time saver. I'm in the private beta and there's some work to be done.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

Thanks! I have been doing Matterport and downloading Panos running them through LightRoom and using GoThru to moderate. It's not too bad, but I have been charging $150 labor for that process which may be a little high.

Do you think there will be a charge associated with the MP to GSV eventually?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
A tip about hiding from 360 cameras when WiFi range tethers you to the camera: You can set a shutter delay in the software so you can hit capture and then run to your hiding place.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 11 IP   flag post
101424 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?