Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCamerasProblems

"Camera not stable" on almost every scan603

WGAN Basic
Denver
pixelray private msg quote post Address this user
I get this warning on almost every single scan. I have made sure everything is tight and stable, yet I get this message on almost every single scan. Does this happen to anyone else? Is there a fix? Thanks,

Patrick Ray
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
It happened to me in the past and I fixed it by aligning the camera correctly to the clamp that connects to the tripod. Since then I double check that it's perfectly in the center
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray hmmmmmmmmmm

I got this message yesterday. Everything was tight; tripod legs set properly too. Just once with this message
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Basic
Seattle
kjoman private msg quote post Address this user
It's happened to me as well and as Paolo mentioned, I had to tighten both the clamp connecting the tripod and camera and also the knob on the bottom of the camera.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Thank you all...Hopefully one of the things mentioned will do the trick. Will find out tomorrow and let you know. I wasn't particularly worried as the final product came out great - just more of an annoyance I guess.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
This entire scan was done with a camera that wasn't stable - well at least it told me that after each scan...felt stable to me.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@pixelray - what kind of tripod are you using? Does it have a flat plate or a ball head? When I first started using the camera I was using it on the ball head tripod and got the same message. Once we replaced the tripod I no longer got the message.
Post 7 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
I had this with my old tripod. Although it could cope with the weight of the camera, upgrading to a stronger, more professional tripod seemed to fix the problem.

https://siruiprofessionaltripods.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/new-sirui-t-series-tripod-kits-making-sirui-tripods-even-better/
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
My shopping list of Matterport Gear and accessories includes a few tripod options; including higher end Manfrotto that we use...

http://www.we-get-around.com/wegetaround-atlanta-our-blog/2014/8/4/we-get-around-matterport-pro-3d-camera-gear-and-accessories

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
I am using SLIK Pro 724 CFL with a Manfrotto 3 way head (MHXPRO-3W) - so a flat head.

Dan - these aren't on your list, but I would love to know what you think.

I had a little more luck this weekend by making sure the camera was directly in center, but still get what I think would be way too many of these warnings. But again, scans seem to be coming out ok.

Thanks.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray

While the tripod looks great (heavy duty for very busy Pros), I am surprised that you are using a 3-way head. Do the handles show up in the nadir (bottom of the scan)?

I bought a Desmond leveler head (on the shopping list), but have not had a chance to take it for a spin.

Ideally, I use this tool for leveling each scan; rather than adjusting each tripod leg. (I use a level on every scan.)

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Dan: I haven't had any handles show up (yet) in the nadir. I love the Manfrotto 3way head. I was wondering if my tripod wasn't heavy duty enough. I know it says it is, but I wasn't convinced given all the "unstable scans". Thanks for your feedback.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Mikesobay private msg quote post Address this user
Have you had any issue with the carbon tripod bowing? I noticed while scanning a restaurant, the legs would bow out slightly from the top while sitting on vinyl floors, which is now a bit of a concern.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Denver
Yes, I have slight bowing out too. That's part of the reason I was wondering if my heavy duty tripod wasn't quite heavy duty enough. But at then end of the day, the end product seems to be good.
Post 14 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
Other thing to consider:
If on carpet, the weight of the machine turning can cause a dip in plush carpet to sink a little bit, it doesn't take much.
Carbon does bend, and as listed above, it doesn't take much.

If it's a major problem. Try hanging just a little weight under the tripod to balance the shift. There may be a hook there for just that purpose.
Post 15 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
my first test scans were with an old but heavy duty tripod someone had just given me. errors all over the place. i moved to my everyday (but not that big) manfrotto and have not had a not stable issue. my problem is that i move the rig around and it's never level again. what changes? you'd think a $5million dollar house would have level floors.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@pixelray I've been through three tripods since we bought our first Matterport Pro 3D Camera in July 2014.

While I am happy with the Manfrotto 190XPRO3 Pro, I am on my second one.

Since we use a level on EVERY scan, we obviously put a lot of stress on our tripod (adjusting legs).

As I mentioned, I bought a Desmond leveler head to see if that would helpful reduce the stress caused by adjusting the tripod legs. (I have not had a chance to test this.)

While I have included the Matterport recommended "starter" tripod ($119) on our Matterport Gear and Accessories Shopping List, I recommend investing in a better tripod.

(Also, I notice in some of the threads Pros are having various scanning issues that I do not experience (despite doing large, multi-level, complete projects). I wonder if we are not experiencing these scanning problems because we use a bubble level on every scan.)

Best,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I use a 2 axis bubble level i bought back in the 1980s that i used for my Globuscope. it is screwed to the matter port and the quick release plate screws to it. Anyone in the market for a non-functioning Globuscope?
Post 18 IP   flag post
101428 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?