Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
NikonPro1Pro2SnapshotsVersus

photos: MP vs Nikon D8106006

HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
A listing I had MP'd a couple months back repainted the living room, agent wanted updated photos. after I shot them, they decided an updated tour was in order (especially since I discounted it under the circumstances), so I present here stills extracted from the tour with the day earlier Nikon shots. They were done with an Alowa 12mm (full frame) and HDR, and the MPs are captured at -80% FOV (then cropped to approximately match the Alowa. Nikons required color correction and saturation tweaking, MP is out-of-the-box. This is not entirely scientific as the lighting conditions outside were different. Close inspection of the original files reveal the Nikon to be noticeably sharper at full resolution and with superior highlight and shadow detail. The differences are mitigated in the downsized files however (1920 pixels wide).

Merry Christmas (or your celebration of choice) all!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
Thats great, but you dont tell us which ones are which. Im guessing the Nikons are the 1st ones........
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@hometakes - I was gonna guess the yellow ones were Matterport.
Post 3 IP   flag post
actually, no. the first ones in each case are the MP. The yellow is captured highlight levels in the light sources which I could have blued up a little if I wanted to spend more time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
Wow! If thats the case then thats all I can say!!!!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
@VTLV Yes, thats what I am saying, the yellow ones I would have guessed were Matterports.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright VERY impressive photography and very impressive results from the Pro-2. Thank you for taking the time to post these!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks MC360. I bet I could get the dynamic range out of the MP if its HDR employed the same settings I use with the Nikon, to wit: 5 exposures @ 2 stop intervals. This gives photomatix more than enough highlite and shadow detail to work with. (Photomatix is the protocol used by MP I am given to believe. Someone correct me, and merry Christmas all.)
Post 8 IP   flag post
NestorSarmiento private msg quote post Address this user
They look great! But I have to say that you can get the same or better result with "standard" photography, it depends on the software and method used to get the final result. I wouldn't use photomatix for this purpose.

Thanks for sharing your test.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright While I cannot confirm this, I think that the Matterport Camera does do 5 exposures... just not sure on what the intervals are. Of course, I would suspect that the sensor is by no means comparable to a DSLR - but is quite capable in its own right.

@NestorSarmiento It's one of those use-case things. For a Realtor who might not own a DSLR, the Matterport is a single device that can produce photos that are automatically HDR. Many Realtors either don't know how, don't want to learn how, or don't want to bother doing what's necessary to achieve this with a camera -- so the Matterport's dual functionality is AMAZING for them.

For me personally, I'm not going to use the Matterport for photos -- however -- I will and have taken full advantage of using Matterport Scans to supplement my photos -- sometimes I forget a particular room and its a life saver. When I scan, I tend to scan each corner of a room and the center for consistent navigation and more places to take snapshots from if needed.

My one issue is that the ideal height for photos and Matterport differs for many. Some people say they have found a height that they are VERY satisfied with for both. [shrugs]
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?