Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport MUG Feedback on 3D Showcases6

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
I mashed up art + tech to create this Matterport 3D Showcase – ARTlanta Tech Village – featuring a fashion and glamour model in a cool tech space.

What would you have done differently?

Post 1 IP   flag post
CharlieB private msg quote post Address this user
Dan,

Initially I thought the model was a mannequin..ha...I really like the way you used the model in a different place with each scan that is pretty artist. I had just listened to a video with Matt Bell I think saying that people in the Matterport 3D might not show up very well and might be distorted but I found your model very entertaining and looking very good in the scans. Great Job! I will have to consider doing the same.

Also I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't see a reflection of your camera in some of the glass walls and windows. How hard was that to avoid?

Charlie
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Charlie,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes. Model-Artist Trini Quinn did a great job staying still to create this art meets tech Matterport 3D Showcase. It's my Matterport 3D Showcase portfolio piece when I visit with potential clients.

For commercial shoots, I will continue to mash-up my passion in fashion and glamour photography with the commercial space to 'kick-up' the visual storytelling. It's a reason to explore all spaces; come back again and again; and tell your friends to check it out ...

I understand that the Matterport tech team loves seeing what's possible with people. Certainly an unexpected use of their tech.

Regarding no reflection of the camera in some glass walls and windows. That's a good question that I will ask the Matterport team. #pleasantlysurprised

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Dan,

I found the answer to the mirror question in an article on CNET..."Even mirrors, which would have to show shifting reflections as someone moves through the 3D model, can be dealt with. "We identity areas that are mirrors and replace those with digital mirrors,"

I was wondering if some of the "colored glass walls" in your ARTlanta Tech Village shoot was added with the software? or where they there during the shoot? Did you notice that by chance...

You can read the entire article here http://www.cnet.com/news/matterport-breathes-life-into-fully-immersive-3d-models-57620239/
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Charlie,

I used the Matterport mirror tool to outline the walls of the space: not internal spaces. The colored glass is colored glass.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Dan, I found out that even using the Matterport Mirror tool you can still see the camera in the mirrors if placed there. What the mirror tool does is keeps the IR camera from mapping the room in the mirror.....hope I explained that correctly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks, Charlie ... most helpful! Cool!
Post 7 IP   flag post
DoyleRealtor private msg quote post Address this user
I accidently caught myself in one of my shoots, but made a game of it on social media. Whom ever found me got free lunch
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Here's my Matterport 3D Showcase of a $1+ million home in Atlanta. Three levels. 10,000 sq. (15 September 2014)

Anything you would have done differently (and why)?
Post 9 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, this is a very clever and creative idea. It really come across well and opens up additional possibilities for use in the group as well as our customers.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Thanks @GarySnyder
Post 11 IP   flag post
Dan,

I was thinking the other day how amazed I am that you were able to do a scan of the ARTlanta Tech Village early in the evolution of the Matterport camera....after all of the issues that I had with mirrors and windows lately I think I was admiring your scanning abilities! <Smile>
Post 12 IP   flag post
WeinigerHomes private msg quote post Address this user
Hi MUG,
My name is david weiniger of weinigerhomes.com (my wife's real estate business)
I received my camera a week ago after a 6 week wait. I tried to be prepared and up to date on the process, but I think the best learning for me is by hands on experience, and trial and error. Of course I hope to avoid to many errors by also learning from this forum.
I have done 2 initial models, and I welcome any and all comments, criticism, suggestions, and warnings. I have a doorway in sample 1 leading down to the basement and one to the garage that I wanted to have a view of it open and closed, and there are 2 instances in sample 2. One from the exercise room to the storage area, and one entering the garage. If there is a better way to enable this other than multiple scans in the area, I am all ears. I did read about using the door partially opened, but have not tried that method yet.
Thanks Dan for hosting as well as being a great resource for information yourself.
And thanks to all of the knowledgeable and helpful members that generously share their time, experience and opinions.
best,
david

Post 13 IP   flag post
WeinigerHomes private msg quote post Address this user
any advice would be appreciated
thanks,
dave
Post 14 IP   flag post
PieroBortolot private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everybody,

I'm glad to share with you 2 showcases of "Teatro La Fenice - Venezia"
As you can see, the camera has limits. The theater is all pink.
I hope MT solves these problems (Maybe changing lens).
I attach 2 photos taken from internet, where you can see the differences

Please feedback.

Regards,

piero
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Embed a 3D Showcase in this thread if you would like Forum members' to help improve.

Thanks,
Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
usruss private msg quote post Address this user
Hello guys!

This is my first 3D showcase and tomorrow I have another one and I want to make sure I did it right. Please comment and critique.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QxNMCwxuPuJ

Thank you in advance,

George
Post 17 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
Hi George,

You did a great job trimming out the model and there is good data coverage in terms of dimensional information. The only things that I might consider doing would be lowering the camera in the bathroom since there are so many mirrors and the cameras reflection is in almost every shot. That being said, just be cognizant of reflections in general (like in front of the TV in the living room). The only other issue I had was maneuvering into the front bedroom from the hall. I was not able to get to the scan in front of the bedroom door from the hall. I had to access that point from the kitchen.

I hope this was helpful and not too critical. Good luck tomorrow!

Thanks,
Jon
Post 18 IP   flag post
101641 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?