Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google My BusinessGoogle Street ViewGSVGSV17

Matterport and Google Street View Examples5984

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Here are Matterport-provided side-by-side examples of Matterport and the same Matterport Spaces 3D Tour published to Google Street View.

What do you think?

Happy holidays,

Dan
--

Matterport 3D Tour and the same Matterport 3D Tour published to Google Street View
https://matterport.com/3d-space/california-fresh-market-san-luis-obispo/

---
Matterport 3D Tour and the same Matterport 3D Tour published to Google Street View
https://matterport.com/3d-space/pro2-caledisons-art-deco-lobby/

---
Matterport 3D Tour
https://matterport.com/3d-space/pro2-kasugai-gardens/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
A quick analysis --

#1) Matterport is making wildly too many connections.

@Alin from GoThru recently posted on his Facebook page that Google fully intends to kill navigation by arrows and move fully to 'pancake navigation' -- which means that this is OK if Google transitions soon

Pancake navigation uses 'X' marks on the floor and allows freedom of movement. The problem is, it's less intuitive than arrow navigation and the X is never accurately placed.

#2) Matterport is NOT attaching CIDs to any of the tours.

Note that none of these 3 tours have the name of the business/map location above the name of the Local Guides Account. This is obviously a mistake on their part and hopefully a bug that entered into the system AFTER they had already had this working for a long time. I can imagine there being a tiny typo in their javascript code that entered at the last minute that slipped by after testing was done.

#3) Image Quality / Resolution looks fantastic.

Each scene loads quickly, which indicates that Matterport are doing a great job on optimization. Some of the tours above were shot with a Pro-1, some with a Pro-2. You can tell the difference if you are trying to. Otherwise, they both look great.

--

As a note, I am fortunate enough to have been asked to be on the initial BETA. I'm thrilled that it has been publically announced so that I can speak freely about my experiences.

Today, I published several tours. The process was beyond simple and was visually very intuitive. I was able to publish a tour in 3 simple steps.

I simply click on Publish to GSV and ...

Step 1 - Position the tour on Google Maps.

Using the address information already inputted into my Matterport Space, I'm presented with a map with my location and a drag and drop interface for placing my tour. The tour is visualized as the actual floorplan view, which is quite charming. The only controls are to drag, drop and rotate. At first I wanted to figure out how to resize, and it then it hit me. There's no need. It's already correcly sized as Matterport understands dimensions in space!

Check it out -- a floorplan on a map. It's that simple.

Step 2 - Authenticate!

Next, I select which Google account I want to post to! I can add multiple accounts so that I have the option to publish on behalf of someone else. It appears that I can invite a client as a collaborator so that they can authenticate and then I can post on their behalf. Thats's a welcome surprise that I can imagine coming in handy!

Step 3 - Review and upload

Well, that was simple.

Step 4 - Wait

It took 15-20 minutes before I received a successful publishing e-mail. At that point, I was able to click the link in the e-mail and immediately see a single pano on Google. Connections took several hours to appear. This is on Google's side and this is normal. It takes their little servers a bit of time to work as hard as they know how. I sometimes feel bad and feel like donating some used computers to Google to help them out. They seem to be struggling.

--

So did it work?

Yeah, it did. But there are some kinks. First, as mentioned, my tour didn't appear attached to the business. That's bad. That's easy to fix. Again, I imagine that Matterport have had that working perfectly and that a last minute change to one thing broke that after Matterport GSV had already been cleared for BETA.

What else? I successfully posted several tours and successfully removed them too. I noticed that some of my 360 Views published as well ... that was kinda weird since they weren't linked.

Other than a few minor bugs, the platform seems ready to launch. Given how close we are to Christmas, I imagine Matterport wanting to allow us to test this so that the public beta can launch early early in the new year.

--

And what did I think?

I absolutely loved placing my photographic floorplan on Google Maps. It felt SOOO right. It was much better than awkwardly dragging around a constellation that looks like a flowchart. This is the sort of thing that only Matterport can pull off simply because of how the platform works.

I felt that the published product was perfect. I was shocked that multi-level WORKED. I had heard rumblings that we would only get to post single floors -- and in the Google SV community, there had been multiple times that multi-level stopped working or behaved badly -- so I was a bit worried. Nope, multi-level automatically worked. Totally awesome.

Basically, Matterport just delivered the simplest, most accurate way to post tours to Google Street View. It just has a few minor kinks before it's ready for prime time.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
Great analysis @Metroplex360
I am wondering how the start location is determined with GSV? Does it use the starting point that you choose for the Matterport model? Does it choose your first scan? or can you choose your start point within GSV?
I'm just wondering how that works as you mentioned multi level is possible so if you started your scan in the basement you probably would not want the GSV to start there.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Thank you for the detailed notes. Glad that you got to be one of the beta testers. Exciting.

Can you post a screen grab showing the attribution? For clarification, does it say Matterport or Metroplex 360 and does it include the business name?

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Hello Metro!
Sorry, I missed if your name was somewhere, but all the same, very kind of you to post these examples for some of us patiently waiting to step into GSV. MP told me yesterday they're opening the beta very slowly so who knows, I may wait and wait until the system is fully launched.

However, I'm very curious to know what I can expect, how it functions, as I have commercial clients dying to know.

When you have a minute, perhaps you can share with us...

1) On GSV or Google Maps, what does an establishment with a MP/GSV space look like? Is there an icon or marker indicating the MP space? If you "walk" down a GSV street, is the establishment ID'ed so you know you can "enter"? And CAN you actually "walk" from the street into the establishment like I've seen with some other GSV systems?
2) Is there any functionality of the "Dollhouse" view within the GSV conversion?
3) Is there any functionality of Mattertags (I think I read they disappear)...
4) Is there, or have you any indication that there WILL BE, a way for a photographer to "brand" into the space their identity as creator of the space (in other words, any way to advertise to others that Metroplex360 is ready and able to do this for other businesses?
5) GSV somehow, I presume automatically, blurs out faces of people and license plates throughout its system. I presume this is automated. Are they planning to do so in MP/GSV spaces? I see this has NOT been done on the California Fresh Market example that Dan included in his post one month ago. I ask this as, for example, if doing a MP space for a restaurant, one might assemble the staff for a photo when scanning the main dining room. Could be very nice for a walkthrough promo. However if GSV conversion automatically blurred all the faces, this could be seriously creepy.

So much to learn, so little time!
Thanks so much.
Kevin Dole
Home3D.us
Los Angeles
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi @Homd3D

I will tackle one of your questions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Home3D
If you "walk" down a GSV street, is the establishment ID'ed so you know you can "enter"? And CAN you actually "walk" from the street into the establishment like I've seen with some other GSV systems?

Tips: How to Connect Matterport to Google Street View to the Street View

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Home3D

Depending on whom you ask - @Metroplex360 @TrustedPhotoDC @Panoskin or Matterport - you are likely to get a different answer to your question ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Home3D
4) Is there, or have you any indication that there WILL BE, a way for a photographer to "brand" into the space their identity as creator of the space (in other words, any way to advertise to others that @Metroplex360 is ready and able to do this for other businesses?

1. If you publish via Matterport to Google Street View, no you can not add a logo and website.
2. If you let MP3SV publish your 360ºs to Google Street View, yes, you can include a logo patch with a logo and website.
3. If you self publish your 360ºs via @Panoskin, yes you can include a logo patch with your logo and website.

You can include a logo and website. This could be your client and/or your biz.

It's likely you will see comments in this discussion about what is allowed for a logo patch such as business name and logo only (and website and/or phone).

Best,

Dan

P.S. As the photographer, you do get a hyper-link credit to your Google Street View Local Guides page (example)

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360 @TrustedPhotoDC @aarongeis

Can you tackle some of these questions?

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod That's right.

If you want to brand your GSV tours, the Nadir patch is the place to do this.

Note that Google allows branding in the Nadir by stating that branding is not allowed OUTSIDE of the Nadir. I cannot find any GREAT information on this.

Here's the contribution policy.

https://support.google.com/contributionpolicy/answer/7411351?hl=en&ref_topic=7422769

"If you’re appending any form of attribution (watermark, authorship information, etc.) to the zenith or nadir of your 360 photo, please note the relevant requirements within the Promotional Content information below. "

--

And below this ... is nothing about requirements at all.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?