Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ProblemsScanningStrategy

unique application - can it be done?5852

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Have a client wanting to get a Matterport scan done of a vertical elevator shaft (He is an elevator installer and repair technician).

The space is 144 sq ft X 14 floors. Plus another 400 sq feet on a landing.

His thought is that we ride up the hoistway on top of the elevator taking scans at each landing point.

Do you think this can be done? If so, how?

I'm thinking the only way it could be possible is to start at the bottom and work up, and possibly mount the Matterport tall enough that it doesn't see the bottom of the elevator at all otherwise that would screw up the model as that base would never change.

I'm also thinking that it would require the use of the Matterport "April Tags".

Any advice or thoughts on a project like this?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

WGAN-TV: CUPIX for Newbies AND CUPIX Versus Matterport with CUPIX Director of Sales Scott Anderson

WGAN-TV: Insta360 One Discussion

@Queen_City_3D

Exciting! Safety first! While I could imagine that this could be done with Matterport, I wonder if a better solution would be:

360ยบ 1-Shot Camera (such as Insta360 One) Plus CUPIX.

The Insta360 One has interval shooting. So, I could imagine starting the camera and slowing lowering the camera from the top --> down the shaft.

CUPIX uses photogrammetry to accomplish what Matterport does with scanning data.

Presently, CUPIX does not offer a dollhouse view, BUT does offer all kinds of annotation options. CUPIX is in beta (free) likely through at least 31 December 2017.

[@Scott_CUPIX - Your thoughts?]

Ultimately, the decision is likely to be what is the end use.

I could imagine that you would want to manage your client's expectations that it may take at least two different days: first day to test shooting/scanning techniques and the second day to go with the best test.

I encourage you to watch WGAN-TV Live at 5 recording (above) of the CUPIX demo and discussion to see if this is the right solution ...

Best,

Dan

P.S. I encourage others to suggest how they would do this with Matterport ... (or other Camera solution)
Post 2 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
You should simply use a different tool for the job, such as LiDar. If 360 pictures are required, you can bring the MP or a simple 360 picture camera. The new 'Marker' implementation from MP acould also be valuable if you decide to give it a try with your MP and face issues with alignment

Good luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
101428 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?