Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CUPIXNewbiesWGAN

WGAN-TV CUPIX for Newbies (and New Features)5826

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab above Courtesy of CUPIX website

Hi All,

Are you looking for a Matterport alternative? How does CUPIX compare to Matterport?

CUPIX enables you to create 3D Tours with any 360º Camera and processing the images using computer vision technology to create a 3D walking experience like a Matterport 3D Tour.

It's free while it is in Beta.

On WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm EST | GMT -5) today, Tuesday, 21 November 2017, CUPIX Director of Sales Scott Anderson will demo and discuss CUPIX for Newbies (and share some new features). Plus, I will ask Scott how CUPIX compares Matterport.

I anticipate that Scott will use the 360º photos that I shot at a hotel on Friday with an Insta360 One Camera to show and tell how to create a tour with CUPIX.

CUPIX will be targeting these markets:

✓ Real Estate Marketing
✓ Construction Sites

The CUPIX Marketing Video says:

✓ 20x Cheaper to start [than using a 3D scanner [like Matterport]
✓ 10x faster to capture

Features include:

✓ overlays (annotation such as measurements)
✓ viewers of the model can make their own measurements

How CUPIX Works (from the CUPIX website):

Shoot 360º Photos – Take photos of the interior of a building with [any] off-the-shelf 360-degree camera. It only takes about 2~10 seconds at each location.

Upload – Upload 360-degree photos to our cloud server, and then you are done capturing the scene. It sorts out camera locations and computes the 3D geometry.

Customize – Finalize the 3D virtual tour to make it best serve your business using our Online Editor. You can custom brand the Web Player with your company logo.

Share – Share the 3D virtual tour with collaborators and publish it to the world instantly. Allow viewers to measure actual dimensions in the Web Player.

In addition to asking Scott – CUPIX versus Matterport – what else should I ask @scott_cupix ...?

Best,

Dan

P.S. Here are WGAN Forum discussion tagged: CUPIX
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi Scott ( @scott_CUPIX ),

Thank you for appearing on WGAN-TV Live at 5 Tuesday (21 November 2017) for:

✓ CUPIX for Newbies
✓ CUPIX versus Matterport

And, thanks to Blue-Sketch Founder Petra Soderling ( @PetraSoderling ) and @leonvanzweel for insightful questions during the show.

Dan

WGAN-TV: CUPIX for Newbies and CUPIX versus Matterport with CUPIX Director of Sales Scott Anderson. Includes show and tell about the CUPIX Content Management System (Backend).
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
scott_cupix private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod
Thanks for having me in the session. There was a lot of energy in the room and I really appreciate the insightful questions from you as well.
Best Regards,
Scott
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@scott_cupix

Thanks again Scott ...

---

Hi All,

Want to try CUPIX, but don't have any 360ºs to play with?

Here are some 360ºs that you can play with ...

We Get Around Beach House | Digital Assets-360º Photos Spheres-Shot with Ricoh Theta S (HDR)

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
@DanSmigrod
Thanks for sharing links to some 360 photos.
How well do those photos work to create a Cupix tour?

Thanks
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@scott_cupix

Ah! It is likely that they do not because I shot them far apart.

This Dropbox contains 360ºs I shot of a hotel room with CUPIX in mind.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
Here's two helpful guides for shooting:

(1) Cupix Support Document: Shooting Photos for Cupix. Basic rules are as follows: (i) Keep cameras on a tripod or above your head, no blurry photos, (ii) Keep your face and fingers away from the lens, (iii) Follow these important photo gudielines :
. Take a cluster of 3 photos at doorways, with 1 step between each photo.
. Take 2 steps between photos in residential hallways.
. Take 3 steps between photos in residential rooms.

Many of the points in this article are covered in a YouTuber video linked below.

(2) Video from YouTuber:

A couple of points regarding this video:
- Adjust saturation/brightness/color/etc. settings directly in Cupix.
- Re-upload a new version of a photo if needed.
- Selfie stick / tripod does NOT need to be vertical.
- Cupix is free during beta period (it's still in Beta). No charges ever for tours created during beta.

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From a related WGAN Forum discussion ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360

Cupix is amazing. They have photogrametry down like no one's business. Want to create a 3D tour without a 3D camera and customize tons of things? Sometimes, half of the options seem like alpha/beta tests -- and the UI has so many options that it's a bit intimidating. Features before functionality at times -- but overall, my experience was nothing short of thrilling. I can't believe what they are quietly accomplishing in building a unique platform.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
Since the original video is 2 hours long, a visitor to the forum asked for a more concise overview of Cupix. Here's a concise 30-minute webinar on covering Cupix from back in November. There have been some changes since then but this webinar covers some of the core technology/benefits/workflows in Cupix. Here's was the first Cupix Webinar:

Short (30 minute) overview of Cupix.

There was a lot of comparisons made between Matterport and Cupix in the 2 hour session with Dan. I'll see if I can't break that down into smaller more concise chunks.

Thanks,
Scott
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

In case you want to watch the above prior to tonight's WGAN-TV Live at 5 (Monday, 26 February 2018) which will be an update to the above show.

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@scott_cupix

Can you answer these questions for a WGAN Forum Member that emailed me? Please see below ...

Thanks,

Dan

---

If Cupix could help us understand how their platform handles repetitive environments with multiple floors that would be really helpful.

So say for example you're capturing a high-rise building where many floors look exactly alike... how does it know how to arrange the correct vertical order of the floors and if you were ever to stop capturing that area in the middle of the floor how would it know where you left if in a repetitive environment?

Lastly, what's a good estimate of the total SF that could be captured per hour and per day with most cameras and Cupix platform.

[name redacted]
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cupix Director
of Sales
San Francisco
Here's a response. Apologies for the delay. Grab a camera from Amazon, Mac Store, PC Store or Fry's Electronics. For about $300 you'll have a 25MPixel camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod

If Cupix could help us understand how their platform handles repetitive environments with multiple floors that would be really helpful.
[name redacted]

RESPONSE: Cupix does well in repetitive environments. We've done many multi-story high-rises and large open buildings with no problem. We But we also provide optional optical markers for capturing data. This looks like a pattern that you smack to a wall. You can blur out the marker in the Cupix App once it's captured if you like. Check out this forum post for more information where large redundant spaces are part of the discussion: https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/6774/page/1/wgan-tv-split-screencupix-and-3d-bim-model/#8.

Quote:

So say for example you're capturing a high-rise building where many floors look exactly alike... how does it know how to arrange the correct vertical order of the floors and if you were ever to stop capturing that area in the middle of the floor how would it know where you left if in a repetitive environment?
[name redacted]

RESPONSE: Upload floor by floor. It's easy. The process would be to take panos of the floors one-by-one. If you want the stair wells you can grab those. Then upload the panos one by one. We have a really good graphic in the uploader, it's actually an animated GIF to explain the idea visually. Here it is (let's hope the animations stick):

Quote:

Lastly, what's a good estimate of the total SF that could be captured per hour and per day with most cameras and Cupix platform.

[name redacted]

RESPONSE: You can take panos (360 photos) or panormaic video (360 video) and upload it to Cupix to create the tour. In outdoor spaces, it's easy to cover a lot of space fast. Anecdotally on 2 occasions I captured roughly 500,000sqft of the outdoor Stanford Mall in Palo Alto in about 2 hours using panos (360 photos). For indoor spaces like 2-story multi-floor construction in the Bay Area of California, we've done quite a bit of testing and are experiencing capture rates of roughly 25K - 50K sqft /hour.

For non North Americans, this translates as follows:
Outdoor space as fast as 250,000 sf or 23,000 sqm per hour.
Indoor construction at approximately 25,000 sf or 2,300 sqm per hour.

Using panoramic video instead of photos the capture speed can increase by 50% - 100% faster.

This was again covered in some depth in this WGAN-TV episode.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101646 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?