Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseGoogle Street View

Matterport VS Google Certified photographer5659

Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
I have approached a museum about providing a Matterport 3D tour. The response was that "We have already identified a Google Certified photographer". Should I assume this for a street view provider? Any selling points on Matterport vs Google street view?
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Street view looks like crap compared to Matterport... from what I have seen...
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Ghagendorf

Rich Mattertags is a huge opportunity for a museum. In addition to annotating with text, they can embed the curator video/audio for each piece and include merch for sale.

Examples of features that Matterport has that Google Street View does not:

1. Mattertags
2. Slide Show
3. Set Tour on Automatic
4. Snapshots after the fact
5. Point Cloud / Object File - exhibit designer would find this tremendously helpful
6. Videos from 3D Tour
7. 360ยบ Views exported from the tour
8. Dollhouse View
9. Floor Plan View

Others?

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Nerdvice451 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport and Street View are different animals. Matterport is for a website and Google Sphericals are for Google Maps/street View. Now there are people out there who call themselves Google Photographers, which is a lie. There are Google Trusted Photographers and only if you drive one of the Google cars are you actually a Google photographer. If you want to compete with these folks, you have to become a Google Trusted Photographer. And since Matterport is for a website and Google sphericals are for Google, having a just a Matterport Camera will not allow you to get those types of jobs.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Nerdvice451

Does this change your mind....
https://matterport.com/gsv/

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@Ghagendorf
Hi There
I work alot with the Auckland War Memorial Museum here in NZ and we do a combo of both for them. There are different needs for different things. We first started dealing with the digital team and now are engaged by a large number of people at the museum to do different things.

I create MP scans for archival purposes - for exhibits which are short term and for exhibits that are closing or changing. We have done Google photography to showcase the rental spaces the museum has and for how people get to in and which entrance to take for what things. We have also done both Google style imagery and MP for a particular space which was shutting (under great controversy). MP was for archival purposes and the Google style imagery we pulled into an interactive Bespoke Virtual Tour so that as the gallery was being dismantled people could still virtually experience it on a touch screen outside the space. Now that the gallery has been closed you can still access it on the AWMM website.

We have found that getting work with the museum has all come down to our relationship with them. I have made some great contacts which are now friends and they are constantly letting their colleagues know about us and what we do!

In conclusion to my rambling there are loads of uses for both technologies. Its all about finding a balance and providing what the customer actually needs for the project.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nerdvice451 private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, The complexities of this are formidable. I will believe that they will do it when I see it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?