Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCapture AppScanningTipsWeddingWire

Worst Scanning Experience5523

BrianM private msg quote post Address this user
It happened yesterday evening. This was the tour from hell. Seriously, I had 35 no alignment scans (I typically only have 2-3 per location) in addition to another 25-30 re-scans due to constant staff and/or golfers walking though the rooms. The tables in the main room (Area 2) would not scan and align no matter what. I tried numerous attempts (high camera, closer camera, etc...) but nothing - essentially they were too homogeneous and spaced too close for the Matterport to recognize. I essentially just scanned the perimeter of the room and the dance floor area.

In Area 1, I thought it was the shinny buffet service trays so I marked those as mirrors. That didn't help. I think it was the wall between Areas 1 and 2 that had shutters covering the windows between that was again too homogeneous.

Also, the venue was not ready upon my arrival. It took about 1/2 an hour after my appointed time before I could start scanning. Then the language the staff and/or the golfers were using in the back rooms was atrocious - it would make a sailor blush.

Any advice for future wedding venues? I have another one in about two weeks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
erikolsonmba private msg quote post Address this user
I would have set chairs out in random orders and taken scans from over the chair. I would als have tried putting it on the table to get a better ground reference point.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I could not rearrange as it was setup for a weeding today and that is how they wanted it to show.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Well it gets even worse. While parked in the parking lot there someone damaged/scratched the hell out of my Jeep's fender and didn't leave a note.

Post 4 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianM Well you poor guy! That sounds like a horrible job and inconsiderate people!! Good on you for trying to do a good job despite it all.
Post 5 IP   flag post
BrianAshley private msg quote post Address this user
I have been doing a lot of wedding venues lately 6-10k sf. I was having all sorts of issues alignment errors and especially with building becoming out of square (Curved sides) and I tried lost of different things like changing the order in which I shoot; perimeter first, last, shoot up the middle then cross that row of shots etc. After talking to Maggie at Support for a while last night and sharing a dozen photos of scans gone bad, she asked if I had any other apps running while scanning...well as a matter of fact I did...lots!!! I'm a droid guy and have not figured out how to check for and close apps on a device with only one button...well now I know how.

I now close every app except the capture app and will be trying out a large scan in the next week or so, to see if that cures the issue. One scan started grabbing a chunk of the lower left crnr and placing it outside of the lower right crnr (not even in the model), then 2 scans later would replace that chunk and do same thing in opposite directions, then repeat over-over...yet the tour came out fine.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Was this a “Wedding Wire” Job??
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianM

When I have trouble scanning, I set the tripod to the lowest level. This usually works (and then I hide the lowest level scans (easier if you keep track of which scans you will want to hide, as you scan).

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dVuz

Yes!

This was my first with them.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dVuz

Yes!

This was my first with them.

Is this worth looking into for our adding our tours? $72/mo is steep when I am trying to break into the industry and my first job was only $135 for a pain in the butt real estate listing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
BrianAshley private msg quote post Address this user
There is no real estate listing worth doing for $135...My camera does not come out of case for any reason under $175 and then it's either a tiny 2 employee shop or a tiny condo 1100-1300 sf.
Wedding wire jobs are better than nothing, but expect 4 week payment terms on most jobs and automatically 3 weeks on every single job...that is the deal. If it is not in your backyard, start thinking about your true travel costs using IRS mileage rate of $ 53/mile.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@BrianAshley Thanks for the background. I am in a market where homesight and look2homes have the agents really well trained. The market is saturated with agents all fighting for listings that sell quickly. It is rare to find listings that sit on the market. In my neighborhood, listings are sold within 14 days on average.

What I need is to make the most automated system to onboard agents, book listings and upload to a site. Since Matterport does not have a hosted gallery by agent option, I have started the process of creating this with WP3D and WP forms to have agents submit listings.

The ultimate goal is commercial listings, but I am trying to learn what a market rate is for those.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Columbia, MO
Showcas3D private msg quote post Address this user
"AprilTags" sounds like they would solve your issues when the Capture app is updated to version 2.4

We’re launching a few exciting new features to make scanning Spaces much easier for our users. Here's some new features that we are testing and developing as part of this beta:

• Visual Alignment for empty and repetitive spaces: Scanning empty and repetitive spaces such as empty offices, warehouses, auditoriums, long halls, gymnasiums, etc can be difficult. If the space is very uniform and not unique, it's easy to get a "sliding misalignment" where a scan aligns, but not exactly in the right spot.

o With the Visual Alignment system in Matterport, you can reduce misalignments in these tricky spaces. First, tape unique markers (also known as "AprilTags" to walls in the space. Second, turn on the toggle in the Capture app settings. The Capture app will look for these markers during scanning and use them if they are there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

WeddingWire goal is adding 2,000 Matterport Spaces to their listings by 31 December 2017.

They use the We Get Around Network Find a Pro map to source Matterport Pros.

I write about WeddingWire sourcing Matterport Pros in this WGAN Forum discussion:

I need help with up to 2,000 scans in the US

While pricing and terms may be less than you like, if you are just starting out, you may find WeddingWire projects helpful to:

1. gain experience scanning
2. gain experience scanning for others
3. get a client logo for your website
4. get some cash
5. fill downtime
6. establish a relationship with a client that is buying a ton of Matterport content (repeat business)

Here are other WGAN Forum posts that include the tag: WeddingWire

Best,

Dan

P.S. Potential leads is one of around 40 WGAN Membership Benefits | www.JoinStandard.com
Post 14 IP   flag post
101429 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?