Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceMultiple Floors

Capturing separate floors of a Brownstone5508

GardinerW private msg quote post Address this user
I have a unique situation in capturing a Brownstone.

It is owned by one family whose patriarch has passed away. One son has an office on the ground floor (street level) and I will not be able to capture that empty while I am there and may have to make a separate trip on a weekend.

They wish to create a scan of the basement and then the main living quarters that begin on the 2nd floor and go 2 more stories from there.

This is to document the space both for posterity and for insurance/appraisal purposes, but it might be nice to have a complete scan if they decide they want to use this for the sale of the property. I would also like to have a complete model to use for my own marketing.

Is there a way to scan the basement and then skip to the 2nd floor above the ground floor office then go back and insert the office later once that is scanned? I am guessing no and thinking that maybe I scan the living quarters top down then come back and scan the office and basement at a later date to complete the model.

Maybe I can access the basement from the street then go back up the front steps to the 2nd floor? Thoughts on the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Gardiner
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@GardinerW

Congrats on your project exciting. Plus, nice to hear another use case: insurance/appraisal ...

Matterport is a contiguous scanning solution: you can not scan the first floor; then the 3rd floor-then the second floor.

The exception is using 360ยบ Views - which can be taken anywhere without regarding to contiguous spaces. That said, it does not achieve the dollhouse view of the entire brownstone that you are seeking.

Please do share the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour, once done.

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks Dan.

I am planning to go in early and capture the ground floor first before the office staff arrives. The ground floor is not very large so I am hoping to get that scanned in roughly 30 minutes then do the basement then the other floors.

Do you foresee any issues with starting with the office first then traveling downstairs to the basement to scan that then start again from the office to proceed to the other floors? Basically when I was done with the basement I would reselect the first floor scans and start adding scans going up the stairs from the office until I reached the 2nd floor.

Also, when going top down do you mark the middle to top of the stairs as the floor below?

Thanks again for any additional thoughts.

Best,
Gardiner
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GardinerW

Easy-peasy. Great plan.

While you can scan the floors in any order, it can be confusing to you when scanning.

For example, in your workflow above ...

Ground Floor = Floor 1
Basement = Floor 2
1st Floor = Floor 3
2nd Floor = Floor 4

Best practice when scanning with Matterport is stairs attached to floor below. That said, it doesn't matter. The mini maps with floors does NOT affect processing; it is ONLY for your benefit.

Even if people start walking through your shots, keep shooting so that you get the complete dollhouse view. If a person is in your scan, make a note of WHICH SCAN so that you can TRY to re-do that scan (do not delete any scans: just hide them in Matterport Workshop).

If someone may walk into the scan - a door way - try to scan the door way first so that as the camera rotates, even if someone does walk in, they are not in the scan.

Good luck.

It would be fun to see an entire brownstone in a Matterport scan.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Awesome - thank you.

Last question - once a seasion has been uploaded can you add to it later?

Meaning if I don't finish everything should I wait to finish (even if it is days later) before uploading or can I copy the uploaded model and add to it later on?

Best, Gar
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Far,

1. You can add days later
2. Process now; no charge to process later

When You do the Matterport scan later, environment needs to be the same and same lighting is helpful. Do not delete any scans; hide in Matterport Workshop scans you do not want people to see.

Dan
PS ZZZzzzz... up early tomorrow ...
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot brownstones all the time. Start in the lowest level and If possible, scan right up the stairs and pass the omitted level. This way you maintain continuity, and you can go back and finish scanning another time.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dVuz

Ah! Great! suggestion about scanning up the stairs to maintain continuity.

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GardinerW

Looking forward to hearing how it went; what you learned and seeing the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour.

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Thanks all. Waiting for the model to process and we shall see how the initial run turns out. I did not have time to do the entire Brownstone due to some other obligations, but did capture the basement, office and first floor. I will return to do the 3rd and 4th floors.

The stairs to the basement and to the 2nd floor from the office were very tight with doors that opened into an office hallway so that was tricky to keep the doors partially open then travel up or down the stairs. I am sure the doors will move a bit in the model, but it could not be helped.

The 2nd floor (main floor of the living space) had a lot of large mirrors so I tried avoiding them as much as possible, but my floor path may be a bit wonky as a result. We shall see how it turns out and maybe I rescan with the camera in view if the initial pass feels weird. I think in the end the user experience may outweigh whether you see the camera or not.

I will keep you posted as this was the largest space I have done to date and still have a lot to learn. Remembering to have the lights on in the rooms that your are heading towards is also key - especially when heading to the next floor. There was a lighted display cabinet at the top of one set of stairs that I forgot to turn on so I will have to redo that sequence when I go back.

Nothing beats real world experience to remind and make note of all the little details to pay attention to.

Best,
Gardiner
Post 10 IP   flag post
Ok so the model processed. I see some things I need to address, but overall not horrible considering the time crunch I was under.

Things I notice off the bat:

1) I need one more scan in the 1st floor office to help transition to a back hallway.

2) Front hall ceiling light fixture on the 2nd floor is wonky in one scan.

3) Forgot to capture a transition going down the hall past the bathroom into dining room. Probably should capture the bathroom as well.

4) Debating whether I delete the pass through the font door and rescan the front hall with the door closed. Seeing some sunlight flare in the 2 scans coming into the brownstone from the stoop (as might be expected). Also people captured on the street are fragmented and that looks a bit weird to me.

5) Need to add 360 views of the front and back of house.

Feedback welcome (positive or negative) as it helps me get better and maybe others can benefit as well.

Thanks!
Gardiner
Post 11 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
This may be a little late, but for future scans where you want to create a model where you omit a middle floor of a building and still want a complete model of the building, you could just scan the entire building, make a copy, omit the undesired floor and upload the copy.

Here is an example of what that might look like.

Hope this helps
Jon J
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@JonJ

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Do you have an example of when you would use this technique?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@JonJ Thats a good idea but you cannot walk up to the 3rd floor.
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Anyone else have a Matterport brownstone to share?

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Guys,

Here is an example where I had to skip the middle floor of a three family home... I went up the stairs and simply passed the middle apt.

clickable text

Here's a three family brownstone where I was able to do all three floors

clickable text

clickable text

Howard!
Post 16 IP   flag post
101636 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?