Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AndroidCapture App

Matterport Android Capture App?5485

Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
Forgive me for venting here, but I really don't understand why there isn't an Android Capture App. I've always been an Android guy and I'm thoroughly frustrated with having to use such an elitist closed box product as an iPad is.

I broke the screen on my iPad this weekend and have a job in the morning, so now I have no choice but to go blow a bunch of money on an overpriced iPad. I have several Android tablets that would also allow me to supplement memory with an inexpensive microSD card instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money on an iPad with large memory.

Oh, and I have a backup iPad but I haven't used it in so long that I forgot the passcode and I found out after 2 hours on the phone with Apple that it apparently takes a couple of days to unlock it. I feel like I've been Centipede'd like Stan on Southpark!

I do have some hope for the future since they talked about it in the survey, but with a simple Google search I found a post on Matterport Support from an MSP from March asking about an Android or Windows app which no one from Matterport even bothered to comment on. I think that's pretty unacceptable to ignore someone who spent several thousand dollars on your product who is asking a very viable question on your support forum. I guess Matterport is kind of Elitist Too.

Disappointing.......
Post 1 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
If it is any consolation for you, I would recommend purchasing a Ipad mini 3. I have never had a problem with it, it is lighter, cheaper and is fast enough for me to capture 75 scan points in an hour.
Best Wishes!
Jon J
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gibbsboro, NJ
Radie842 private msg quote post Address this user
I saw in Matterport web site they are looking for Android engineers. So I would assume at some point it will be cross platform.
Post 3 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, feel your pain, I am android/Win fan also. Like JonJ said I have been using the Ipad Mini 3 up until last month. For me I am trying to streamline my tablets so I sold my Win tablet which ran my remote apps for remote camera use, I sold my Ipad Mini and bought a Ipad Pro. I said all of that to just let you know with my luck they will release a Android/Win app. That is just the way things go for me. But the Ipad Mini was nice, worked fine and easy to find on craigslist.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
I just bought a new 32GB standard iPad since it is just a backup. I will put a new screen in my Air 2 and keep it as my primary. I guess the iPad 4 is just going to be a paperweight now! LOL
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Richierichks

Yes. Given that the Matterport survey ...
https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/tag/mp-survey-2017

... asks if an Android app is a good idea, I could imagine that it is already in development

Given that we all already use an iPad, seems like the question would be better for people that have NOT bought a camera because they want Android.

If Matterport thought they could sign up a ton of new clients by supporting Android Capture, this solution would be expedited...

What do you think? Could Matterport sell a ton more cameras if they supported Android?

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
Like I said I am mostly Android/Win user and that did not hold me back in purchasing Matterport. So I do not think that is a big market and solely determining factor if your looking at the technology. But would probably generate a few sales. Just my thoughts.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
@DanSmigrod I would say that if the app would work on an Android phone it could potentially sell more cameras. Many people carry androids and it would make it so that a potential user wouldn't need to purchase or carry an additional device.

I've never had an iPad before being required to use one for Matterport. I will say that it is an incredible device from a technical standpoint and I really like it. My big problem with the platform is that everything is proprietary Apple connections and it is such a closed box.

As someone mentioned, the Android would offer a lot of advantages with the ability to use inexpensive MicroSD cards for memory which would also help with archiving and backing up tours.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101435 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?