Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppVirtual Reality

Google Tango is dead. Welcome, ARCore!5326

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user

Today, Google unveiled ARCore, a lightweight replacement for Tango that competes head on with Apple's forthcoming ARKit.

This marks the beginning of the end of Google's experiment with 3D Mesh capture. With just two phones supporting Tango.

A good question is, what is best Matterport up to? As one of the key players in supporting Tango with the Spaces app, are they getting ready for a new ARCore app? Does this relate to their recent investment capital, or is that just a coincidence?

SDK

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/29/google-retires-the-tango-brand-as-its-smartphone-ar-ambitions-move-wider/
Post 1 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
"Forget Project Tango, ARCore covers most AR use cases with no special hardware required."

arstechnica.com

"Google is again doing a bit of internal product competition with Tango and ARCore. Google is best thought of as a group of individual product divisions rather than a unified company, and it's the teams behind these products that tell the biggest story about where these two projects are headed. Project Tango was cooked up by Google's ATAP group, a small skunkworks group that doesn't have a ton of resources. ARCore is a collaboration between the Android Team and the VR group, two groups with a ton of resources."

"The key difference between ARCore and a sensor-loaded Tango device is that you're not getting depth sensing. Tango could actually see the world in 3D by sending out a blast of IR light and measuring the return time using a time-of-flight camera. Depth sensing in Tango led to my favorite Tango app: Matterport Scenes, which was basically a 3D scanner app. You could wave a Tango phone around a room or object and quickly get a (low-resolution) 3D, color model of it. While that was really amazing, the vast majority of Tango apps just wanted to use the "place stuff on a flat surface" feature, which doesn't need the depth sensor and will work just fine on ARCore."

"ARCore will also have the benefit of what's essentially a "multiplayer mode," where data can be synced across devices thanks to the VR Group's "VPS" (Visual Positioning System). This is narrowing your location down with GPS and then having the phone's AR capabilities recognize where you are in a room, a kind of "indoor GPS." ARCore users in the same room can then share items in an environment, and one person's object manipulations could be seen by the other device."
Post 2 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Waiting for the Primesense powered iPhone 8 on 12 September. Hopefully the port of MP Scenes will not be far behind.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Well there is clearly a market for low-cost, mass-market depth sensing devices so someone's going to do them. Maybe it could be Matterport themselves, then. Having Qualcomm and Ericsson on board would be helpful with the hardware strategy.
Post 4 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
Tango is not dead in my opinion. Think of what happened with glasses.
It will just take 3-4 years to be really ready for enterprise stuff and then not for the mass market.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@mori You may have wanted to elaborate a bit about Google Glasses to save myself (and maybe others) from Googling it.

It seems that Google Glasses died, some enterprises found interesting uses for them in the workplace, and now 'X' (fmr: Google X, subsidiary of Alphabet, fmr Google) is working with the Enterprise on providing this as a niche tool.

I would still maintain that Google Glass is dead and would predict that Tango would only live on as a spin-off seperate to Google -if- a use-case were found and a separate company cared to support it. The focus with ARKit and ARCore seems to be avoiding depth sensing and IR tracking in favor of technologies that can work with existing devices.

I am still calling Tango dead. Google is moving on.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360: http://fortune.com/2017/07/18/alphabet-google-glass-comeback/

Don Reisinger
Jul 18, 2017

Alphabet has given its ill-fated Google Glass wearables another life.
The company on Tuesday announced Google Glass Enterprise Edition. The wearables, which look somewhat similar to the original models, come with high-end cameras, built-in batteries, and Wi-Fi support. They're designed to sit over a person's eyes, but can also be used with prescription glasses and goggles, according to a report from Wired, which announced the news.

Maybe this is still a "niche tool" as every pro product, but I guess also the ROI is good. Otherwise they would not do it. Apple´s world works well with "niche smartphones".
Post 7 IP   flag post
And no doubt avoiding depth sensing and IR tracking on existing devices is a big step and will work for most.
If you need better results you will buy pro products.

Nevertheless I still see options for the Tango technology, but the "project" will fade in the background as stated and the tech from it will be used in other products & projects.

Finally - if you like to call this dead, then you are right.
Post 8 IP   flag post
PeterMcCready private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
I am still calling Tango dead. Google is moving on.

Interesting times! It's probably not the cleverest time to buy an Asus ZenFone AR but Manuel Clément's demos have...

https://sketchfab.com/mano1creative

...me seriously considering acquiring one to cater for scenarios where portability is essential.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101438 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?