Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Have You Explored Matterport Scenes?5259

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I've been curious about Matterport Scenes -- the Project Tango-based room scanning solution powered by Matterport. I've really not known much about it, but recently learned that models that are scanned are now available to view on the web:

https://scenes.matterport.com/

Furthurmore, Matterport has it's own 'Matterport Scenes Cloud' which is similar to the 'Matterport Cloud' system we use. While I think it would be cool if this was done on a unified platform -- I think that the products are unique enough that keeping them separate has its advantage.

They've even added a snapshot feature (Photoview) that seems interesting:

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009717367

Is anyone at WGA using Matterport Scenes?
Post 1 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

I am not sure what I expected but it definitely wasn't that!

It took too long losing just to see some tree stumps! Hopefully it improves?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
Not very impressed with the quality. The 2 devices around arpund $600-$1200 each. From what I can see a conversion from.images via an auto deck product would produce a far superior model. Unless they improve or have a smart fill to improve I can't see how useful this would be
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 @justinv @Jamie

A related article below ...

Dan

---

Yahoo Finance (15 August 2017) Your next smartphone's camera could get a huge improvement

"Qualcomm’s new camera technology could big AR and VR improvements to your next smartphone."

"Your next smartphone’s camera could do more than take great pictures of your latest meal. Qualcomm (QCOM), the company that builds the processors found in a variety of Android handsets, has debuted its latest camera technology, which the chip-maker says will turn your phone into an augmented reality beast."

"The tech is called active depth sensing and includes placing two cameras — one infrared and one standard — and a laser on the back of your phone. The laser, which uses an invisible infrared beam, is shot through a small cover that creates a pattern wherever you shine it."

"The infrared camera, which is placed next to the normal camera, then captures that light and the resulting pattern to determine how far away the surface you’re pointing it at is. “Big deal,” you say?"

Source: Yahoo! Finance
Post 4 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I honestly do not know what I was expecting out of a cell phone but I guess my hopes were a little higher.

Is this how the Matterport camera started out? I looked on YouTube a longtime ago and they had a hand scanner. They scanned the room they were in.

I guess this is the beginning stages of development? I would guess the average phone price these days are about $800-900, so a $4500 camera will do a better job.

I will go back and look on my laptop to see if it is a better experience. It could have been the one I picked! I did try out the tree stump!
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@justinv

I am (about) to head to Lowe's to look at utility sinks to replace one that we have in our laundry room.

1. I took six photos of the sink we have.
2. I took measurements of the sink we have.
3. I took photos of the space where the sink will go.
4. took measurements of the space where the sink will go.

Fast forward one year from now.

I use my iPhone to scan the sink we have. The image includes the depth data (measurements).

Fast forward five years from now.

I scan our laundry room with my iPhone.

I use the manufacturer's 3D model to virtually place - augmented reality - the target sink in the existing laundry room.

While it may be early for smartphones with depth data for consumer use, I could imagine enough businesses are finding applications where the smartphone depth data is good enough and justify today's pricing.

As a Matterport Pro, should we be worried? We have a Pro versus a Consumer solution. People using smartphones for scanning will be the catalyst for business to say, "there must be a professional solution."

Okay. Heading shopping ...

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
I don´t think there´s a need to worry for the real pro´s.
But yes - the low cost market will get a DIY market with the new phones and especially real estate agents don´t spend much money for quality.

So the key for success will be the services around the capture process.
That´s why I am so begging for a SDK & official API.

Compare it with the situation in real estate photography.
Here´s a nice "german" review on the situation for sold spaces >750.000 euros:
78% of all photos are bad quality.

https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.primephoto.de%2F78-prozent-durchfallquote-immobilienfotos%2F
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here 2 apps from the Google Tango Team: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Tango%20Experiments&hl=en
Post 8 IP   flag post
Here also a nice PDF: An Investigation of Google Tango® Tablet for Low Cost
3D Scanning

http://www.iaarc.org/publications/fulltext/ISARC2017-Paper121.pdf
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinv
@DanSmigrod

I honestly do not know what I was expecting out of a cell phone but I guess my hopes were a little higher.

Is this how the Matterport camera started out? I looked on YouTube a longtime ago and they had a hand scanner. They scanned the room they were in.

I guess this is the beginning stages of development? I would guess the average phone price these days are about $800-900, so a $4500 camera will do a better job.

I will go back and look on my laptop to see if it is a better experience. It could have been the one I picked! I did try out the tree stump!

You know, it's rather funny. If this is the best that the current generation of Tango apps can do - then Matterport have positioned themselves in an authoritative place -- not only are they the leaders in consumer-level 3D capture of spaces - but they are also providing the "best" in low cost consumer scanning. If that best isn't that great, then they've dismissed any one else's attempt to leverage the technology in attempt to compete.

And yes, I love that you said 'beginning stages of development' - it's quite smart of Matterport to be first to market in what is a progressively emerging technology... if and when it improves to where it's viable, Matterport are already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
Here also a nice PDF: An Investigation of Google Tango® Tablet for Low Cost
3D Scanning

http://www.iaarc.org/publications/fulltext/ISARC2017-Paper121.pdf

That's a great whitepaper --

"While the technology is still in its infancy it shows a promising future for use in the design, construction, and FM industries."
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?