Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Pro2ResearchSurvey

Matterport Camera Multi-camera mode???5005

Lugano, Switzerland
lucadeal private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys!

I was filling out one of the latest MP Customer Survey when I came across this one:

"Multi-camera mode” (where multiple users can sync their cameras together and capture a space in a collaborative way)

Anyone aware of that?? How does it work? I'm assuming you'll need 2 Cameras and 2 iPads, but then?

I wasn't aware of this feature, but it sounds extremely interesting especially for large spaces...
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@lucadeal

Screen grab of the question?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Lugano, Switzerland

Post 3 IP   flag post
Lugano, Switzerland
Not sure if you can read it, but is actually full of new features I wasn't aware of...

Anyway, very cool!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Lugano, Switzerland

Post 5 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah I came across that as well.

It's a survey where they want to get a feel for what features are important for us. This particular form is aimed towards AEC work.

So the more people vote for it, the more likely it is that it will be implemented.

Link to survey below.

clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Putten NLD
DannyBasting private msg quote post Address this user
P.S. There was a question about the importance of outdoor scanning as well. Having the ability to scan outdoors would be an amazing time saver. Now I just scan the interiors, and take my own measurements for the exterior.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
Two cameras would make our life way easier. Even if it's just one person scanning. Think you could start a scan, run to the other camera, start that scan and then come back to the first one move it and start that scan.. Right now we wast about 50% of the time waiting to move and rescan.
Post 8 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
If you have experienced their development speed to just develop Mattertags (still no HTML like announced!) or the MP to Streetview - not to speak from the SDK/API announced 24 month ago - you can expect that these features will be far far away or more likely a wish from Matterport that will never happen.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Lugano, Switzerland
You're right, but this one was not the survey for the AEC world asking what we'd like to see next, it was actually asking how are we satisfied with those improvements that are already in place. That's why I was asking if anybody had the chance to try that feature out - maybe they work only with the new Pro Camera 2... I'm still using the first model

we'll see how it goes
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Can you guys imagine catching TWO Matterport cameras in mirrors in the same shot?

Obviously, for Matterport to even offer this option as something to vote on, they've done some serious thinking about new algorithms for the Capture App. Anyone who has scanned a Matterport tour knows how dependent the camera is on nearby scanning to progressively complete a dollhouse. One cannot 'jump' to an uncharted section of a home or building and continue scanning.

The idea of not only having a 'align with team member' feature that would attempt to merge two large sections ON SITE -- but the idea of having the apps connect together WHILE connecting to the Matterport Camera (Possible BlueTooth usage) -- is massive.

I think this is quite strange because Matterport tend to pour their resources into features that have the broadest application. Those of us who are scanning large spaces with multiple cameras are in a minority. Perhaps Matterport have seen a potential within another industry that this initiative would break down some barriers for.

-

You know what would be cool -- if they are considering retooling how alignment works -- it would be cool if we could manually set a search radius for where Matterport analyzes for alignment. This would reduce misalignments, decrease alignment time, and potentially allow us to scan even bigger spaces than before. It would improve performance on large scans greatly especially on lower end iPads.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
If you have experienced their development speed to just develop Mattertags (still no HTML like announced!) or the MP to Streetview - not to speak from the SDK/API announced 24 month ago - you can expect that these features will be far far away or more likely a wish from Matterport that will never happen.

The SDK is not far far away.

When I created MatterPlus, I discovered that an internal SDK already existed and used javascript injection to interface with it. There was a LOT of information that could be pulled from that specific version - but most useful was the current pano id, overall position in the tour, and the mode (inside, dollhouse, floorplan, outside). I was able to integrate Google Analytics, Event Based overlays and Text-to-Speech features using this.

Matterport used a bit of encapsulation to limit the scope of the endpoints and since then there has been work done on redoing how the internal SDK/API works. New endpoints have been created, although work on this hasn't been done in the public showcase for a few months based on my observations. The ability to get current position data IS available though - and one of the last interesting things added was authentication tokens for API access.

My ability to understand and precisely predict the scope of what the SDK can currently do is limited by both my willingness to read through and work out what the code does -- and in addition, I have full faith that when I'm provided access for testing purposes, that in minutes I will have better information than would be found from days of reverse engineering work.

I have not yet received ANY information on WHEN the SDK will be ready publicly or privately. It is my belief that it is ALREADY available privately, but that it is not formally ready for testing. I'm presently trying to get into what I would call an 'alpha' testing phase (Asking to test while it's not ready to test). As soon as I do and sign an NDA, I will not be commenting on it So if I'm openly speculating, it's b/c I am have no official information.

--

It -is- my belief that the Matterport Design Studio thing where you can put chairs in a model and replace floors, etc, is complete vaporware. I think that the concept was made before the Matterport Platform became mature and the company became aware of what the limitations would be concerning quality/performance/browser support/etc. The MESH we use in Workshop is not as high quality as the point cloud downloads - it's simplified - and I would think that a Matterport Studio concept would need to be limited to a desktop environment. It would be a point cloud editor and honestly, there's no reason for Matterport to provide that software as other vendors make software for manipulating 3D Models.

I have been wrong before. I just think that THAT needs to be put to rest. Matterport still have that concept video on Vimeo... they just put it to rest too
Post 12 IP   flag post
@lucadeal The mentioned features are also including not existing ones in my opinion.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Metroplex360 The issue is: "The SDK is not far far away." I get as an answer since about 18 month. Besides there are still all the legal issues concerning copyrights of the content which in total for me is a package that is just not usable in the real world.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@mori Content belongs to the photographer. Showcase and Processing belongs to Matterport. Matterport allows export of 360 Snapshots (4096 x 2048), HD Snapshots, OBJ Files, Point Clouds and Google Street View (Which you can extract and rebuild panos from - therefore, I'm not sure how they will police/monitor that). Matterport can be downloaded to the Matterport Showcase App for offline use.

What more do you need concerning copyrights? If you need individual 136 Megapixel exports to rebuild in a different platform then -

#1) Get a different camera. The benefit of Matterport is the automation and the player - therefore, I see little point (other than publishing to GSV - which is being addressed).

#2) Publish to GSV (if it's public / permissable) and use WalkInto.in to build a custom tour.

--

IMHO - Matterport's prohibition on exporting panos from the Pro-1 has benefits:

#1) The imagery from the Pro-1 is NOT great and would not do well in A/B comparisons with many other cameras.
#2) Most ppl do not level their Matterports precisely. Showcase corrects this automatically, but exported 360s will then need to be fixed in PTGui to be level. Kinda kills the magic.
#3) It keeps Matterport's mission straightforward.

I do think that with Pro-2, exporting the panos is going to need to be addressed. They market the # of megapixels and they are allowing GSV export. Assuming the full size images go to GSV, there are a plethora of existing tools to extract from GSV -- from extraction tools to using services like PanoSkin and GoThru to import tours that are already published and then download.

So ... we'll see how that goes.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101421 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?