Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
PrivacySecurity

Security concerns4996

BrettMtn private msg quote post Address this user
Had a meeting with a potential client today, a synagogue who is doing some major renovations. They loved the idea of using matterport to capture the finished product for their website, but had major security concerns that a potential terrorist/intruder would be able to view the tour and have full knowledge of where everything from exits to security cameras are located. Has anyone had any similar clients and, if so, how did you handle those concerns?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I've a client that has the same concerns for their corporate spaces. And they decided to just use the scans internally.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@BrettMtn

Why not scan the whole synagogue and get a nice dollhouse look and then deactivate the scan points of anywhere that isn't open to public at all times? Would that alleviate some of their concerns?
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@BrettMtn I don't have a solution but I'm getting a lot of push back from Government Departments and large industrial because of Matterport hosting concerns.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Queen_City_3D not a bad idea, but the whole synagogue is locked down 24/7 (as are most, sadly). I believe it's the 2nd largest congregation in the US (certainly the largest in my area). They have a full security team at all times patrolling the grounds and the building, which I would think would deter any potential criminal activity, but they take these things very seriously. It might just be a job where I do a few 360 with a theta if they are interested. They discussed using it internally only, but it would be hard to control who accesses it once it's online.
Post 5 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
It's simple, use another virtual tour solution and make it available only to the congregation. (Don't use a Theta S, it will look like doo doo)

If you need to self-host there are plenty of solutions to this issue as well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@trustedphotodc with a name like "trusted photo" maybe they wouldn't be as concerned What other solutions do you suggest? I'm not looking to invest in a new system just for one client, but I have a ricoh theta s for 360s. Also, how would a different system be any better at not giving a potential intruder a preview of the space?
Post 7 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
@BrettMtn you need a self-hosted tour that can be locked down behind a login.

You might make available a few photospheres on their website to show off the renovated interior.

You would need a different kit and also know how to build custom virtual tours with software like PanoTour, Pano2VRPro, etc.

Or you could outsource the project and keep a commission for the project.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@BrettMtn This is very weird. I had a similar meeting the past two days with an international military design company. That was interested in my services especially the data I can provide them. But working with these companies and government comes with mountains of paperwork and confidentiality. It's a very big industry. But as we explored different options and other solutions I have for them it came down to they need to own the data and host it on their secure remote servers. It's like watch and burn after. Or working on an airgap machine. basically, capture the spaces or areas render there and then hands over files and jobs done.

@nat_vanveen I have also come across that especially in the mining and oil and gas here the dessert. The government departments love it but red tape & hosting was the main concern. Just to put it in perspective have over 300 sites to scan. So what will be the best tech for that maybe NCTech? Any suggestions. Just bare in mind that we have to use equipment that allows us to use the data not just create a 360 panoramic tour with. I know if some very cool tech on the horizon, but still in development phases and not prosumer ready.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
This goes back to agent Objection Handlers.

Example: If everyone can see the property, less people will come to the property to see it. And it's sold to us, by the client as a negative. We (the salesperson) need to turn it around into a positive of good by saying; "Don't waste your listing clients time by opening doors to people who will not be offering on your property. But those who saw tour, like what they saw enough to come verify what they just saw and possibly offer.

@Queen_City_3D lines it up perfect of what to do next in commercial. Scan the entire and block out areas they do not want accessed as an offering. (Such as the area behind the cash register)

@BrettMtn hits the next point of the place is pretty much already on lock down. Your tour won't be showing vulnerability just because someone isn't in each 360 image. The outside security is already there to deter unknown visitors. Even if they saw the tour, they will get deterred outside on surveillance.

@TrustedPhotoDC - Hit's it on here are the other ways to offer 360.

Your experience will help you build objection handlers in ways to either sell the product back to the client to fulfill their needs or answer questions for lookie loo's who would waste your clients time without the product.

You need to take on the role of a salesperson showing them how they liked the product and how it will better help their situation. Using tools like - The Secrets of Body Language

Allow you to be the salesperson to turn around fear into a positive to close the deal for your up sell. You can do it!
Post 10 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Try bringing them on as a collaborator and only those with approval or collaborator can get in ?
Post 11 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
I'm talking with my church about doing tours for them. They have the same concern about security. I met with the head of their security team and he is very concerned about someone being able to plan an attack. The whole point of doing a tour for them was so people looking for a good church can tour it ahead of time and not feel intimidated. I didn't know what to tell him. They have 2 police officers, and volunteers everywhere during services. I'm concerned about security too but I feel he was going overboard and defeating the whole purpose of the tour.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@3sixtynow that's exactly what I'm talking about - the whole point of the tour is to be able to show off the space to either potential new members or for those who are hosting events there. I might focus on the latter and just do a scan of their social hall when it's set up for a big event, but not put it in context with the rest of the building to help with the security concerns. We'll see what they say. They are probably hiring me for a much larger project with traditional still photography, but I wanted to try to add this in if they were interested. Since they are trying to up their social media presence and re-do their website, I was hoping the 3D tour would be an easy add-on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
Aren't we living in a sad world when we have to be worried about this crap
Post 14 IP   flag post
BenHolmes private msg quote post Address this user
There is a company here in Australia that can provide password protection for a scanned tour. Ive got a client who has requested this and the company is getting back to me next week with an example. If you would like details let me know.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@BenHolmes
That sounds incredibly interesting!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@BenHolmes would love to know more thanks!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@BenHolmes @BrettMtn @Gerhard I have already been using Password Protection on the front end so that only internal employees have access to their VR Tours... however, it's not the public front-end interface that's the security issue... it's Matterport's backend hosting on their platform which they will NOT allow you to host on your own server... so I'd like to see this magic password you have a contact for!
Post 18 IP   flag post
@3SixtyNow @Property3dNZ @BrettMtn It is indeed a sad world if we need to showcase the look of a church to help people decide whether to attend or not... I'm sure 'God' doesn't give a rats what any church or synagogue looks like

IMHO going for promo of their social spaces for hire seems a better way to go.
Post 19 IP   flag post
BenHolmes private msg quote post Address this user
@nat_vanveen if there are concerns with the server on matter port then i think this is something that can't be helped, I've been doing scans for a large bank in aus for the last 3 months. They questioned matter port through their IT security and have been comfortable with the information being saved on the matter port servers and hosting.

My original offer was to have a password protection on the public interface which is helpful for government departments and medical facilities and other commercial aspects.

I agree if a church wants a tour carried out then one would expect it to be looked at by the public, isn't that the whole idea? No different to a bunch of tourists taking some photos and posting on Facebook i guess, sounds dramatic for the church to be concerned as at the end of the day I'm sure you could pretend to be a "follower" attend a service and scope the joint out. Sad world we live in indeed.
Post 20 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
@BenHolmes, how do you add password protection to the public interface?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@BenHolmes haha typical bl**dy Aussie banks! And as long as the tax department don't start using Matterport tours, I'll be happy!

We're probably talking about the same thing, password protection for public interface... that's what I already have on the 'front-end'.

BTW, did you do that shot of Manly Beach on your FB page, looks awesome!
Post 22 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini : what means internally? Only access via my.matterport.com?

@Queen_City_3D :
Turning just off scan points does maybe not at all solve any security issues. But I need to verify this with the latest platform updates and can also not talk about any details.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@TrustedPhotoDC which platforms would you recommend?

to all: I you publish a space than everything is public. That you maybe can´t see it, does not mean it does not exist.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@mori for Internal I mean that they are not going to distribute the link outside their organization. The link is still public, but by limiting the distribution to internal employees and titling the content 'Confidential', they raise awareness that it shouldn't be widely distributed.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@Tosolini Have you ever made a google search with "Confidential filetype:pdf". You will be surprised. But as long as this is acceptable for your client while knowing all the details and risks that´s maybe ok.

;-)
http://www.luxcapital.com/newsletter/Lux_Ventures_Q415_Letter.pdf
Post 26 IP   flag post
101636 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?