Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Virtual Reality

Matterport CustomVR default settings Change4965

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport [CustomVR] Important update to default settings

Hi All,

The following only applies to those of us that had Matterport convert Matterport Spaces 3D Tours manually to VR - before Matterport offered CoreVR.

This eblast was sent to Matterport customers that had Matterport do these manual conversions.

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A special "shout-out" to @GarySnyder with MP2VR

His innovation in Matterport to Virtual Reality - prior to the announcement or launch of Matterport CoreVR - likely inspired Matterport to develop CoreVR.

As I wrote in in the We Get Around Network Forum nine months ago ...

Dan

---

We all owe @GarySnyder with MP2VR a HUGE THANK YOU!

It's likely that Gary's pioneering work in VR resulted in Matterport announcement Monday (3 October 2016) to:

✓ instantly enabled all 250,000+ existing Matterport Spaces to be viewable on mobile VR via GearVR and Google Cardboard.
✓ make automated VR conversion free now through 31 December 2016
✓ offer VR conversions at $19 effective 1 January 2016

Some Backstory

Earlier this year (2016), Gary launched its MP2VR service:

✓ convert Matterport Spaces to Virtual Reality (VR)
✓ Matterport Spaces in VR on GearVR and Google Cardboard (Android; iOS 4Q16)
✓ 1 business day turnaround
✓ $99 each ($74 for Basic, Standard and Premium Members of the We Get Around Referral Network)

While Matterport's stereoscopic VR conversion is amazing - compare here - which would you prefer:

✓ 1 business day turnaround or 2-3 weeks
✓ $74 or hundreds of dollars

It's an obvious choice. Good enough is good enough for most clients.

So, I could imagine that while Matterport was working hard on figuring out how to automate stereoscopic VR conversions (require clean-up of the mesh) to drive down the cost and speed of implementation, Gary's launch of MP2VR caused some sleepless nights with MP2VR disrupting Matterport's plans for this revenue stream.

So, I could imagine Matterport concluded - and switch gears to a "good enough" CoreVR implementation. Then, made a bold - (and right decision) to make all existing models - and models created through 31 December 2016 free for VR conversion.

I could imagine that Matterport decided to make the conversions free as a way to (potentially) drive MP2VR out-of-business. I could be wrong, but given Matterport's track record with third-party developers, this seems plausible.

I would be (very) surprised if Matterport called Gary to say:

1. Thank you for your innovative Matterport third-party developer solution in VR
2. We want to give you a "heads up ..."
3. We our third-party developers and that's why we want to send you a PayPal payment for $$$$$ so that you will continue to be excited to develop Matterport 3rd party solutions. Plus, we want to send a message to all Matterport 3rd party developers that we recognize that we may compete with you from time-to-time, so we we want to play nice with you

Anyway, if you have ever had a model converted to VR - as a result of MP2VR - or now via Matterport CoreVR - I hope you will join me in thanking @GarySnyder for his innovative - and disruptive in a great way - Matterport Spaces to VR conversion service that likely caused the elephant in the room to dance this week.

I could imagine that we will continue to see innovation meets Matterport from Gary and his MP2VR service.

Best,

Dan

Source: We Get Around Network Forum
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder Well done applause all around
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder Kudos to you and thank you!
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?