Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 25 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Outside porch alignment trick4868

HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Most of my scans are of resort properties that have prominent outdoor spaces which are important to include in the model. These are usually accessed by sliding glass or french doors with lots of glass. It is difficult to establish alignments after penetrating the exterior wall sometimes. I always attributed that to infrared light, general outside conditions, the fact I was on the other side of the partition, etc. BUT NO! It's always the glass! The mesh has established a solid wall inside. When you get to the other side, the camera sees reflected objects in the glass and interprets that as 3D space projected inside, but the model already knows what's on the other side, so can't make any sense of this new 3D data, hence, non-alignment. I now always mark all reflective surfaces of this nature as mirrors, and usually before I scan on that side of the wall. It's easy enough to guess where those planes are going to be and you can tweak them after the scan is established if necessary. I apologize if this has been addressed before and is old news, but it's made my life more pleasant lately.
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@HarlanHambright

Terrific!

Actually, since the Forum started in August 2014, this is the first time i recall that I have seen this tip. We will add it to our workflow.

It speaks to imaginative uses for trimming tools.

How else might you use a trimming tool in an unexpected way?

For example, we trim outdoor terraces with the Windows tool. Makes the terraces look nice in dollhouse view.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
As a note, the mirror tool is the only one that actually affects the scanning process. The mirror tool tells capture to ignore all days beyond the line for alignment and also creates a false plane (solid rectangle) to fill in any gaps.

The window tool creates a false plane too but data that extends about ten inches past it is flattened into the plane. The plane fills in gaps and extends vertically from floor to ceiling.

There is a better way to explain this, so I am sorry if I am losing anyone it using the wrong terms.

You can outline your entire model with the window tool and never use the trim tool.

The trim tool is good for cutting off stray data that is not connected to your model.

Matterport Cloud ignores some markings of they don't make sense.

Be careful when using mirror or window tools on areas that open to the second floor by stairs as it will create a false plane that will extend from the first floor as high as the ceiling is.

Lastly, the window and mirror tools are related to the scans that created the mesh that the markings are on. Therefore, a window or mirror making in the inside of the home will only affect the room that the arrows relate to... Not the room on the other side of the wall.

There window tool is thus a flatten and fill tool. The mirror is an ignore and fill tool. The trim is trim.

Does the mirror tool allow us to open and close doors? Hmm... It would make sense that we could use the tool while scanning to ignore the door when closed and erase it when we scan it open... Hmm...
Post 3 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
The use of the mirror tool for scanning open and closed doors was brought up by @marswalker some time ago (maybe over a year now). I believe he used the mirror tool to mark both the opening of the door and the door itself, if it opened into the room you are scanning from. Kudos to @marswalker for pioneering the use of the mirror tool for opening and closing doors!
here's the thread
Post 4 IP   flag post
101646 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?