Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CopyrightLegal

Matterport: Personal data and authority4837

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I received this email (below) today (19 June 2017) from a Forum Member about whom owns the "personal data and authority" of a Matterport Spaces 3D Tour.

I am not a lawyer and I do not give legal advise. I believe the Forum Member is asking about Copyright. I will send an email to ask for clarification.

In the mean time, I believe this Forum post by @Metroplex360 is what the Member is asking about:

Matterport Terms of Service / Copyright Law

Other thoughts?

Best,

Dan

Hello Dan,

We are a business based in [Europe] and our clients are asking us about who is own of the content (VT) and the personal data inside of the [Matterport Spaces 3D Tour].

We contact with you because you maybe know better this points what happens out of USA.

Thank so much! whatever info will be very worth!

[redacted]
Post 1 IP   flag post
MP2FP
Floor Plans
Bangkok THA
mp2fp private msg quote post Address this user
We´ve discussed on the forum briefly on this before. International copyright law is very complex. I believe Matterport sees US copyright as their and their clients governing law. I don´t know enough to challenge this, they might be in the right to do so as the entire system is proprietary.

As far as this actual request, I assume the client is wondering what they actually get, and might ask because of other kinds of photography having limited right of use etc. I would say that there are no limitations as to where they can use it, or for how long (depending on the MSP´s hosting fees). However they can´t download the tour or run it of their own servers (I say, that would be like installing youtube on your own server, it´s a huge framework behind to make these 3D models work).

I´ve had similar questions and it´s always just been "last minute resistance" before they decide to buy the service.
Post 2 IP   flag post
dtavres private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also not a lawyer, but I'm very doubtful that Matterport will ever sue a photographer who:

a) Bought a camera for $3,000+,
b) Paid for the processing and hosting,
c) Took the photos,
d) Sold the final product to clients

The bad press Matterport would get would likely KILL sales of new cameras, which would also cause a potential buyout from Google/Facebook/etc. to be looked at twice, AND would likely also KILL the market for Real Estate agents that Matterport loves to sell to - and would basically KILL much/most/all of OUR businesses, guaranteeing that a large percentage of us would also revolt.

So... yeah, I'm pretty confident Matterport won't ever try to enforce their "TOS" against a camera owner. (And if they did, there's enough camera owners out there to do a class-action lawsuit to protect OUR rights.)
Post 3 IP   flag post
101422 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?