Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,031 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseCapture AppStrategy

Tips for Empty Large Commercial Office Space4826

BrianM private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all! I'm shooting an empty large commercial office space Monday morning. It has a large open area for the for the cubicals then an area of enclosed offices and conference rooms.

Do you got an tips?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
Large Spaces Scanning Guide
Post 2 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Obviously, this isn't empty but possibly you may get some ideas from this.

Commercial Space
Post 3 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@StevenHattan beautiful job on that space!
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a nightmare actually.

Super short....

The 'first' time I went there I started in the elevators but the opening to the front desk was blocked by a huge pocket door that was locked.

I started out by the elevators, went into the floor then proceeded to go counter clockwise througout the floor.

When I started to arrive where I started it was COMPLETELY MISALIGNED. Horribly miss aligned. It took just over six hours to complete the floor once I got started.

I wound up doing 25% of the floor again trying to get it to line up and it STILL didn't align.

Hahaha...to say I wasn't a little nervous or stressed would be a lie but I figured this is what separates the men from the boys. haha

At the end of the day, the model did not align perfectly on the iPad but when it was uploaded and returned there wasn't an issue.

HOWEVER...

The client called back (not the owner but the third party provider I service) and said the owners didn't realize the door wasn't open to the reception desk and it was important. I needed to go back.

So, I went back, deleted a bunch of scans, re-scanned and, Ugh, once again had alignment issues.

An hour later I was finally done and it turned out pretty good.

I learned a lot from this one.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@StevenHattan OMG lol that was a challenge but you nailed it!

Just one question... Did you have to do this after hours during the week or did they let you in on the weekend - since there aren't any people in the scan? I'm just curious working around people and their working hours...

We did a scan of a factory workshop and had to wait until Friday afternoons when the workers got off at noon, then the boss stayed with us for 3 hours until it was done, but he was a former client of mine and willing... I suppose not many bosses would be willing to do that???

@StevenHattan @Marcel @BrianM How do you deal with that???
Post 6 IP   flag post
I did mine on the weekends.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ditto, I try to get weekends. I did a job once, 12 levels of 2000sqm each. It took a couple of weekends, 10 hrs per day straight. The worst was, that due to the sensitivity of the tenant (lawyer firms), I had to be accompanied by a security guard the whole time. He was not allowed to leave my side. Safe to say I got to know each guard pretty well and they learnt fast how not to get into my scans.

edit-- and some of the office I had to cover every photo, logo, name tag, document with paper, plastic sheets etc. was very painful.

But yes to scan during office hours (I've done many) is painful. Guaranteed you'll ask a person to move out of an office so you can scan, you say it will take 2 minutes, but the ****ing camera does a misalignment and it ends up takes 5 -10 min.
Post 8 IP   flag post
*****ing ???

Amazing?
Post 9 IP   flag post
HAHA.. no the bad F word. That what you end up saying when you get a misalignment. I'm sure you agree?
Post 10 IP   flag post
I know...Just messing. haha.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@StevenHattan thanks

@Marcel haha Excellent! Thanks so much for sharing your description... what a pain to have the security guard follow you and also to cover up stuff!! Awesome!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
BrianM private msg quote post Address this user
Well here it is!

It took about 4 hours onsite and ~190-195 scans (some no alignments, some deleted onsite to fix alignment errors, and others deleted in post).

The space had no HVAC running so it was about 80-85° F inside (very hot moving around).

Total area ~26,000 SF.

Thanks for the tips!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Can I highly suggest to HIDE the scans that are not necessary. :-)
Post 14 IP   flag post
kellysuesharp private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Steve
That is a GREAT model of commercial space !
Looks like you went thru hell to get it done. If it is ok i would love to show it to a commercial prospect here in Austin.
Kelly
Post 15 IP   flag post
@kellysuesharp Thanks. Show away!
Post 16 IP   flag post
101421 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?