Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceDroneReal Estate

Drone Photography Help4654

srennick private msg quote post Address this user
I have a huge project coming up this weekend. 40 acres with a 10 million dollar house. I want to do a good job. I have issues with my drone photographer and want to make sure he gets it right (there are not that many that are close to me that are certified with FAA). They client asked for...final images delivered at 300 dpi and 18" x 24". Outside of telling him that information, would additional info should i give to him. If you send me a personal note I will show you the listing/property site.Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
StevenTing private msg quote post Address this user
I think you may have some trouble with that resolution. An 18x24 at 300dpi means the resolution needs to be 5400x7200. If you multiply that together, that comes out to 38,880,000 pixels. In short, you could call that a 38 megapixel image. I don't know of any drones that can capture at that resolution.

My Mavic Pro can capture a 4000x3000 image which is 12,000,000 pixels. You're asking for something 3x that size.

In short, you're looking for something that can capture an image with a 38MP camera.
Post 2 IP   flag post
srennick private msg quote post Address this user
@StevenTiing. Thank you. What advice would you suggest for this project?
Post 3 IP   flag post
StevenTing private msg quote post Address this user
I'm relatively new to the drone world. I'm working on my FAA licensing so I can provide this service. It really comes down to how they plan on using the images. A 12MP image is plenty for most collateral pieces.

If you think of a 4K TV, that has a resolution or 3840x2160, or the equivalent to an 8MP image. Those 4K TV's go up to 80 inches and the image still looks good.

Find out how they plan to use the images. If they're really going to print out 18x24 inch images, the resolution might be justified. But if it's just going to go out in digital marketing or be displayed on monitors, it's not really needed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Standard
Portage, MI
Senojev private msg quote post Address this user
In an ideal world, a 38MP camera would produce a superb print of the size you need IF you print it using a high quality printer. A photographer who knows what they are doing can take an image file from a 12MP full frame camera and upsize it to 50MP and still produce a very good quality print on a high quality printer. Only very close comparison would reveal the difference. Remember that larger prints are meant to be viewed from a greater distance than a 4 x6" print.

Just make sure you tell your drone guy that you need image files suitable for producing high quality 18 x 24" prints at 300dpi. Better still, have him supply the prints so you can judge their quality.
Post 5 IP   flag post
aerialpixels private msg quote post Address this user
You should check if your drone guy is using standard prosumer or consumer drones.
These include - DJI Phantom 3,4 series, DJI Mavic Pro series.
Those arent going to cut it in terms of a super professional requirement true to the word.
BUT, I would add that for most lay-persons, the above will suffice.

True pro drone operators will have a pro camera like a DSLR or a mini mirroless cam like a Sony A7 series or Alpha6000 series.

Ie, you oughta ask what camera he is using (inbuilt prosumer cam-drone combi like above, or professional camera on a custom drone rig)

I dont know what are the FAA requlations like, but u should also think about time of day of shoot, (sunlight to be in a good angle with respect to the property)
Post 6 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick may be hire photographer who will do it from the air? With that kind of client you should be hiring a helicopter and shoot it with a DSLR if you have one, a Nikon 810 would do this easily. I have hung out the window of a Airpalne to get the shot I needed. ...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
I shoot mostly with a dji p4pro, which is 20 mp, so getting closer.

If you are looking for a direct overhead shot, he could use drone deploy or mapsmadeeasy. Those are super easy to use and create super high res maps of a specified area. I would guess those would exceed the res you need because it's a series of of photos stitched together. I haven't used them for pulling images for photos, but the resolution for mapping is amazing. Maybe worth asking your drone pilot about it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
SailAway private msg quote post Address this user
We do this for clients but you need a professional drone that can carry high end digital camera. Pm if you'd like to discuss.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Helen private msg quote post Address this user
@srennick Why would he even need the images that large? Does he know or is he just pulling numbers out of the air? They do not need to be that big for brochures and certainly not for the web.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101436 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?