Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 488 Unique Visitors
9,045 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 33,567 Page Views | 18,421 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Exterior Heights - Major issue - dollhouse454

Rentertainment private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Team,

We have just been contracted to provide a virtual tour in a plane hanger, but due to the heights of the planes and helicopters we are unable to capture enough information to make the dollhouse or floor plan usable.

1. Is there a way to disable the dollhouse and floor plan view?

2. how best can I achieve a complete view of the interior and exterior of the Jets? what happens if I take scans at 3 different height points for every scan and then only use the scans at eye height?

As i need to fix this problem it doesn't look professional for me to test different solutions on site. thus hoping you guys have had experience on capturing objects like this?

See First Model:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=oHuGzZq1NF8

Post 1 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
That's disappointing. Looks like it would be a heck of a showcase if it turned out for you.

I'm still fairly novice, but what would happen if you set the camera on an extremely tall tri-pod? Maybe have it on a movable 10' platform? Would that get you the top of the jets in the scan?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
You can turn off multi-floor by using the query parameter &f=0 at the end of your link.

Example: <iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=YJrquK9RCiE&f=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Post 3 IP   flag post
Glenda private msg quote post Address this user
Oops, never mind - that wasn't your question.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Andrew private msg quote post Address this user
Look this http://3dimaginggroup.com/aviation/
Post 5 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
Moving the camera height will help as MP recommends that when capturing an object; however,I recommend you move the Camera slightly then change the height. If you change the height in the same place, you might have issues disabling the right stand point as they will be overlapping.
Also, the change in elevation of the camera position will most likely cause the model to create a second level, then you will need to do what Glenda said and remove the multi level view.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Andrew

thanks for sharing your model, seems to have the same issue as us. As we had 2 jets in the exterior area, we found it very hard to capture the left wing as it kept on getting confused between the two jets

Would love to be able to disable the dollhouse
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Rentertaiment

It's not my model, found it on forum, https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/profile/Drew
Post 8 IP   flag post
al9901 private msg quote post Address this user
I had a similar problem with scanning a warehouse:

http://www.3dcapslock.com/kanonhallen

What I found was to use a cherry picker, close all of the blinds and break everything down into small steps. Takes some time but beyond a couple of meters Matterport doesn't seem to have enough detail.

You could also try an extra tall tripod, they are surprisingly cheap (circa $150) I'm sure the hanger must have a lift you could borrow.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
We would like to be able to disable dollhouse and floor plan views for this Matterport 3D Showcase ...

(It will look great as a Matterport VR Showcase!)

Other examples of outdoor scans where you would like the option to be able to turn off dollhouse and/or floor plan views?

Post 10 IP   flag post
Hilversum, NLD
Rolf private msg quote post Address this user
This scan is made in three heights Unfortunately no 100% accurate scan, but it comes close.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Hi Rolf!

Great job. I wonder what are you used for to take scans from upper points?

Andrew
Post 12 IP   flag post
Hilversum, NLD
Rolf private msg quote post Address this user
this was the material I used from 20 cm to 7 meters high

Post 13 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
+1 on the ability to remove Dollhouse view. I have a client who absolutely does not want the dollhouse view as it's just not good enough for them to want to use.

I'm glad you guys are having this conversation about aircraft hangers as it's been helpful for me. Rolf's tour looks fantastic and would be even better if it could start in floorplan mode and zoom in and not have Dollhouse available.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Great stuff.. So I guess different height levels works. My client also said that if we can remove the doll house he would let us do his whole fleet
Post 15 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I have a client who will accept Matterport tours on that one condition too. Dollhouse is cool but it is NOT a feature for MANY people and it can cheapen certain products (like a luxury home). For them, floorplan is enough.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Marcel private msg quote post Address this user
I have been discussing the ability to hide the dollhouse and floorplan icons with the Matterport developers as part of direct integration into ShowcaseSkins. I'm having another meeting tomorrow and will raise it again. Will hopefully get a priority placed on it. No promises :P
Post 17 IP   flag post
Zephyr Cove, NV
Maria private msg quote post Address this user
I have been looking into this for a future project as well. A couple possible solutions would be to raise the camera up higher using a 30' pole we've used for aerial style photos. Despite the height a good camera mast should be stable enough to prevent flexing and bouncing as the camera performs its scan.

Another options, in theory at least, is that it should be possible to fly the camera, upside down on a drone. I have seen this done with the Faro Focus 3D.

Once the high scans are complete, and if you do not want people to view from those locations, you can simply disable them in the Workshop.

Good luck. Let me know what you choose to do and how it turns out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
the faro focus works upside down because it scans directly above itself. This camera has to stay still to take the shot, if it moves during the rotation,it will misalign the image and you will get the dreaded "loose mount" error.

the difference between a $50,000 scanner and a $4500 "tri-kinect" unit. However, matterport has a better virtual tour software package....

@rentertainment: did you think about trimming the side of the plane where it starts to curve up (probably seat edge), not at the actual edge of the plane?
Post 19 IP   flag post
101587 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?