Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceMuseumsScansTips

17000 sq ft resort4539

Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I'm looking to produce a large Matterport that I'm sure will exceed 200 scans. Can I in confidence scan this 17000 shoot ft property as one large space? I've done a 10000 sq ft mansion right at 200 scans with multiple outside 360s. Any examples that anyone can share?
The upside is I can port this to a Google 360 later versus shooting it as a Google 360 and stitching each pano.
Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Kansas City, KS
Richierichks private msg quote post Address this user
What about processing them as multiple tours and then start in the main area and use Media Mattertags to link to the other tours at the point in the resort that you would go into the other tour?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I haven't tried the Media Mattertags yet; sounds like a good strategy especially if there are multiple bedrooms. One could get lost in the weeds! Marking the floor plan with labels will help.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@Wonderdawg

Officially, Matterport will help you if keep the scan count max at 200 and sq ft max at 10,000.

That said, many, many, many of us have scanned super-large spaces with Matterport.

You can actually do an unlimited number of scans, BUT, it is possible that it will not process.

And, if it does process, it might crash in webGL if over 200-250 scans; or, run slowly on smartphones.

My recommendation:

1. Manage the client's expectations. You may have to break it up as multiple models (though unlikely).
2. Regardless, scan it all as one model.
3. Once done, duplicate the model.
4. Delete scans in the duplicate model to get to 200 to 250 (tops).
5. If necessary, duplicate the master and create two models.
6. Use a level on EVERY scan. It can get challenging when you get past 200 scans in terms of scanning errors. So, minimize that risk by using a level on every scan.
7. You can have an unlimited number of scans for Matterport to Google Street View (my best guess, when it gets released)
8. You can have an unlimited number of scans in CoreVR (and you can edit which scans for VR in workshop)
9. Eventually, once you publish to Google Street View, you could use that iFrame for your client's website
10. @Richierichks suggestion for rich media MatterTags is a great solution too
11. Keep in mind that Matterport charges once for processing the model. So, process the entire model even while you duplicate it and prepare one or more models with 200-250 scans.

I included a model I scanned. I recall it is 17,500 sq ft and took about 400 scans. I recall that I got the scan count down to about 215. We managed the client's expectations that the Fitness Center might have to be delivered as a separate model.

Keep in mind that when you delete scans, it is like a house of cards. If you remove a critical scan, the model could implode. For your sanity, never delete scans from the master.

Anyone have suggestions on how to approach this project?

Enjoy your weekend,

Dan

P.S. Once you get done with the project, please share it in this thread and share how you ended up doing it and why.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you Dan!
Post 5 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user

@Wonderdawg

That is one I did that was close to 14,000sqft and I think 285. It wouldn't be that many but I always scan outside.

Just like @DanSmigrod said, they are not supported but that doesn't mean it will not work.

The green light will will change to yellow and later red on capture app. I would make a duplicate copy when it turns yellow.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Looks great Justinv! I like how you were strategic in walking out the tripod placement. When I do a large house, I budget out my scan counts, so I know if I did 125 scans for a basement and first floor, I'm comfortable with the second floor. I then go back and add in other viewpoints to fit in at 200. Nice work Dan snd Justinv!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Wonderdawg

I honestly don't worry about how many scans I am going to have when starting out. I just do as many as I need to get job completed to my standards.

Are you doing this in one visit? If not, do as many scan positions as you can and upload the model. Then make a copy and the next day, start in hall, small room or something that hasn't changed and it should align fairly easy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
This tour was over 700 scans.

Post 9 IP   flag post
@Wonderdawg

Which iPad do you use?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Bale100 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

These two involve outdoors and are both over 200 scans and are both somewhere between 1,500 - 2,000 m2.

Mirador Hotel 293 scans & 18 360s - maybe 20 scans / 360's hidden from this total.

Client wanted walkway to sea - scanned at 06.30 at dusk

Also, Atzaro 240 scans - maybe 10 hidden.

Old Farmhouse in Ibiza now a boutique hotel - nearly all rooms accessed externally and had to connect several outer buildings.

Scanned perimeter first at 06.30 to create pathways to each room / building and then filled in gaps (contrary to Matterport's online support.

Uploaded to Matterport cloud after each scanning session to check for errors. Also had to do this over several days as some rooms were occupied and had to return once vacant.

In Ibiza nearly all clients demand outdoors as that is typically what they are selling.

Good luck,

Richard.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Bale100 private msg quote post Address this user
Correction: scanned Mirador externals 06.30 dawn, Atzaro perimeter 06.30 dawn.

Tried 19.30 dusk on other models and have more alignment issues.

Problem is the short window at 06.30 before infrared becomes too strong - especially as we come close to the longest day in June.

Regards, Richard
Post 12 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@3SixtyNow ... you made a 700 scan tour... and didn't encounter problems? Usually after 350, the tour won't process... I'm very interested in how this was possible and LOVE what you did.
Post 13 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, @Metroplex360, I wish it was mine! A guy named Nico De Frenne shared it on the Facebook Matterport Usergroup.
Post 14 IP   flag post
101436 14 14