Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

NO More black patches in Dollhouse - TRICK4522

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I did this yesterday and it worked a treat, I was scanning a monster 15000 sq ft £3m home and it was a beautiful sunny day, I didn't have time to wait about for the sun to move as you can imagine, so here is what I did.

Maybe I am not the first person to do this but I thought you may want to see the results

Before I entered the room I closed the curtains to stop the sunlight coming in

I then scanned the room in 6 places. I then opened the curtains and scanned in basically the same 6 scan locations

I am now planning to disable the original six scan locations in workshop and I am left with a perfect dollhouse with no black areas as you can see. its the 2 bedrooms at the bottom of the image

See also screen grabs from workshop inside the room.

This still doesn't solve the issue I have with new build show homes which I scan regularily which are all painted bright white inside and have no blinds or curtains.

So please matterport keep looking into this issue

I know this seems time consuming but I timed myself and it took an extra 5 mins to do this room twice, I did 4 rooms this way so i added 20 mins to a 7-8 shoot.

I would rather that than having to return at a later date.

Give it a go you have nothing to lose

Post 1 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
q
Post 2 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah....F!@#$ that.

...and after thinking about it...

SIX scans for that room? Haha. Jeez. I'm sure I would have made one simple scan right in the front/middle of the bed and moved on.

Now...for the Sensitives out there...I say all of this even keeled and with a smile on my face.

I apparently just do my business a little different, that's all. :-)
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
This was very well paid job so I was happy to spent the extra time on this one
Post 4 IP   flag post
I get it. Totally. I'm doing a 30,000 sf commercial space tomorrow near Trump Tower in Chicago and I'll be going the extra mile as it's a first time client and a new possible window.
Post 5 IP   flag post
walk360 private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk I have done that too... but when there are not curtains to close what do you do? I have to finish the rest of the apartment and wait for the sun to come down to re-do those rooms with bright light
Post 6 IP   flag post
Rootsyloops private msg quote post Address this user
StevenHatten - you just say what I'm thinking but too afraid to say! I've been a "closet" quick-scanner for the last year - cutting corners and scans anywhere I feel like it won't be catastrophic. I respect those that are out there doing the best possible job. But for me - it's business - and time is money. If I can burn through and increase my $ per hour, I'm all in. I save my perfectionism for other pursuits. It was a relief when you first posted that you don't strive for perfection on every shoot. I figured I was the only one!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Have you SEEN my scans? I STRIVE for doing the absolute LEAST amount of scans but still maintain professionalism. I couldn't care less about what that dollhouse view looks like. So far, 100% of my clients don't either.

I just shake my head when I see 90% of the jobs out there. OMG. What a COLOSSAL waste of time that no one (customers) even gives a S!@# about. Horribly needless scans all over the place.

I'm so anal about time that when I place the camera, I place it to where I can approach it when it's 3/4 done scanning. In other words, I point the camera AWAY from the point where I'll enter the room. This way, I can approach it and waiting behind it when it finishes.

My goal is to have it set up and ready before I'm even able to START the next scan. If there is a ten second delay I start to analyze why it took so long and figure ways to eliminate the waste.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk Great idea mate!

@StevenHattan Your directness is a virtue! Reading your posts are regularly the highlight of my day.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Haha..I think.

I just 'speak' to the forum as if I've been your friend since we learned how to ride bikes together.

However, since I'm NOT anyone's friend, my types of responses are not expected and it raises eyebrows.

I always tell people, if you were in front of me hearing and seeing my responses, you would never take offense.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
Yep! Prose doesn't necessarily always show the tongue in my cheek either!
Post 11 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
We've tried to do something similar recently but the camera would not align after the curtains had been closed/opened. Surprised you got it to work? I had a nightmare today with some new build properties, massive holes in the scans. I had to go back once the sun had moved and it still wouldn't fill in the holes. Really not cool. I think mp need to look at the camera performance in these conditions.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
VPRM please email ma
Tterport support with as much detail as possible. The situation in new builds is a nightmare I could t even get in the door of a large room last week.

The more people bring this to their attention the sooner we get a resolution
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dshowcaseuk
VPRM please email ma
Tterport support with as much detail as possible. The situation in new builds is a nightmare I could t even get in the door of a large room last week.

The more people bring this to their attention the sooner we get a resolution

I'm going to after today but I'm not expecting anything other than their stock answer as to why it doesn't scan in bright spaces.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I've posted this in the support forum to see if generates some interest from support.

https://community.matterport.com/questions/7931/sunlight-is-the-camera-performing-better-or-worse.html
Post 15 IP   flag post
suncoastskyview private msg quote post Address this user
We would LOVE to drastically reduce the scan-count, but every time we try to do that, we wind up with alignment issues and have to do it all over again. What's your secret?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Gransky private msg quote post Address this user
@stevenhattan I couldn't agree more with your sentiments! As a matter of fact, I have spoken with my clients extensively about what matters most to them with a Matterport Showcase.

They almost ALWAYS have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them if they prefer to have a perfect dollhouse with no holes. I never intentionally set out to do a half-ass job, ever! But, with all sorts of Tom, Dick and Harry's buying Matterport cameras these days offering .10 per sq foot pricing, I will be damned if I'm going to break my back worrying about perfect dollhouses to compete with that. I say all the time I'm going to offer two price structures (Standard & Premiere), but have never implemented them.

And by the way, generally what matters most to my Realtor clients is the impression a homeowner has when I show up and put on a technological show. My clients tell me all the time how much WOW factor they receive from their sellers after we leave. That important impression that the Realtor has put their own skin in the game to sell their house by hiring my company. That gives the Realtor leverage when it's time to have that discussion with their seller as to why it's time to lower the price of the house when it hasn't sold.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk
I do exactly this - we market ourselves as a premium supplier so I will move heaven and earth to make sure my models are nice and tidy and have no holes! Only thing with doing this is that you will notice that sometimes the model itself will have the curtains shut - which isn't ideal!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenHattan
Have you SEEN my scans? I STRIVE for doing the absolute LEAST amount of scans but still maintain professionalism. I couldn't care less about what that dollhouse view looks like. So far, 100% of my clients don't either.

As @Gransky stated - My suggestion to you, and all of you silly 'dollhouse be damned' folks --

When you market your services, market both a Matterport WITH and WITHOUT dollhouse. An incomplete dollhouse looks terrible, and you CAN disable the dollhouse view in Showcase.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101641 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?