Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17

Matterport to Google Street View>4K Quality?4451

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I recall many discussions in the We Get Around Forum about Matterport imagine quality and at least one Pro that said Google will not allow publishing form Matterport because the quality of the imagery does not meet their standards.

Here's just one of these 2K/4K discussions from three months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
@PedroAvilez Support for 4K Tiles exists within Showcase.

this.panoSizeClassMap[r.BASE] = 512, this.panoSizeClassMap[r.STANDARD] = 1024, this.panoSizeClassMap[r.HIGH] = 2048, this.panoSizeClassMap[r.ULTRAHIGH] = 4096

256: "256", 512: "512", 1024: "1k", 2048: "2k", 4096: "4k"

4K Tiles don't yet exist -- I imagine that when creating a prototype cameras, this might be used.

And this post three months ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Metroplex360
@JACKS79 @LetMe3D While I fully plan on buying a new Matterport Pro camera when it comes out, as inevitably, a new one will arrive, I am very cautious to speculate when one will come out.

The current Matterport camera shoots 2K tiles -- much larger than is needed for viewing on mobile. The current Matterport camera, through recent firmware updates has demonstrated that image quality can continue to be improved through software updates.

Matterport Showcase has support for 4K tiles in its code, however, this is believed to be for use in prototypes of future cameras and there is absolutely no evidence that such a prototype exists, let alone that a new model offering higher resolution scans would be ready to go into production any time soon.

This leaves us to speculate on what a new camera would offer that the current one does not. Perhaps faster scan speeds? Personally, I'd like to imagine that Matterport's next model is an automated drone that flies around maintaining perfect height and shooting the entire tour for you. If I were Matterport, I'd have patented that one already.

Matterport own patents on many of core components of Showcase and their system including using quaternian mathematics for calculating the relationship between the panoramas that are mapped within the 3D space. These patents protect their platform and I believe block against concern that another platform will imitate and compete 1:1.

For $3500, if you believe that you can achieve a ROI from the camera in the next 12 months, I see absolutely no reason to wait.

In addition, if there were a new camera to be released, theoretically in January 2018, it would serve you well to make use of the next 12 months to establish your market and build your business in preparation for a new wave of MSPs who you may be competing with.

Even if a new camera dropped next month, which would be a bit silly, I believe it's worth the gamble to invest at the moment that you WANT to offer this service... as long as you live in a different state than I do.

That got me wondering if Matterport will also announce at the Google Street View Summit that the output quality has increased to 4K from 2K via firmware upgrades and/or hardware in different generations of the Camera. For clarification, this would mean that the Matterport Camera may have always been able to take 4K images.

At the very least, we might learn more about the different versions of the same Matterport Camera that we all own. (If you look at the serial number on the bottom of your Camera, it begins with a letter. I recall that some Members of the Forum have letters that begin with K. So, perhaps Matterport Cameras with letters {X through X) can take 4K images (or, at least the imagine quality that Google would consider acceptable.

While I am geeky, I am not a tech. So, I would if the techs among us would weigh-in about:

✓ Matterport 2K-->4K
✓ Google Street View minimum level of imagine quality
✓ Correct me

Or, if this discussion sparks other thoughts about the image quality of the Matterport tours when converted to Google Street View.

Best,

Dan

We Get Around Network Related Forum Topics

Matterport CLIENT asking about 4K
Konami Code found in GeoCV Viewer
What mega pixel is Matterport camera?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
And, this related post from two weeks ago ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @JuMP
@tomasdunbar I got your question and after talk about resolution with GeoCV's CEO today.
I decided to spend some more time to dig it out.

How many pixels is the key parameter of a camera.
Why Matterport don't show this information to us?

I think there are two reasons:

1st: The input resolution is not equal to output resolution. So many technical processing inside it.

Matterport Camera is combined with 3 x PrimeSense and shoot 6 times when capture a Pano, the result is calculated from 18 pcs color photos and 18 pcs depth photos, the final result is 6 pcs 2048x2048 cube maps and one OBJ mesh.
The input resolution is not equal to the output resolution.
Next time you can tell your clients that currently showcase is using the result of Matterport Camera at 6 x 2048 x 2048 that is 24Megapixels

2nd: Matterport Camera used PrimeSense that was developed many years ago. We didn't see hardware upgrade happened. So the pixel value of Matterport sensor is too small compare to today's high tech mobile phone. So it may not good for Matterport to sell its camera and photographers sell services to clients because people always think low pixels won't get good result.

Honestly I am very admire what Matterport can reach such high quality panos with Primesense sensors. It can't compete with DLSR result what GeoCV can provided. But Matterport's result is good enough and more higher than my expected for Primesense sensors.

Before I tell you what I dig out today.
I want to say I am not want to do anything to harm anyone.
I just tell the truth I found today.
And I want to show my admiration to Matterport that pull out the peak of Primesense sensors.

The ture (or real) resolution of Matterport Camera is below:

3 x Color Sensor: 3 x 1280 x 1024 x 48bits
(48bits means it is HDR)

3 x Depth Sensor: 3 x 640 x 480 x 8bits

Total input resolution of color is 18 x 1280 x 1024 with 10~20% overlap. The final value is about 7600 x 2600 for 360 degree pano.

Total depth resolution is about 3600 x 1200 for 360 degree.

That's it.

Thank you for reading!

BTW wish you can try our
free JuMP-ME v1.0 for SQFT measurement of Matterport OBJ result.

JuMP team from China
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuMP
@tomasdunbar I got your question and after talk about resolution with GeoCV's CEO today.
I decided to spend some more time to dig it out.

How many pixels is the key parameter of a camera.
Why Matterport don't show this information to us?

I think there are two reasons:

1st: The input resolution is not equal to output resolution. So many technical processing inside it.

Matterport Camera is combined with 3 x PrimeSense and shoot 6 times when capture a Pano, the result is calculated from 18 pcs color photos and 18 pcs depth photos, the final result is 6 pcs 2048x2048 cube maps and one OBJ mesh.
The input resolution is not equal to the output resolution.
Next time you can tell your clients that currently showcase is using the result of Matterport Camera at 6 x 2048 x 2048 that is 24Megapixels

2nd: Matterport Camera used PrimeSense that was developed many years ago. We didn't see hardware upgrade happened. So the pixel value of Matterport sensor is too small compare to today's high tech mobile phone. So it may not good for Matterport to sell its camera and photographers sell services to clients because people always think low pixels won't get good result.

Honestly I am very admire what Matterport can reach such high quality panos with Primesense sensors. It can't compete with DLSR result what GeoCV can provided. But Matterport's result is good enough and more higher than my expected for Primesense sensors.

Before I tell you what I dig out today.
I want to say I am not want to do anything to harm anyone.
I just tell the truth I found today.
And I want to show my admiration to Matterport that pull out the peak of Primesense sensors.

The ture (or real) resolution of Matterport Camera is below:

3 x Color Sensor: 3 x 1280 x 1024 x 48bits
(48bits means it is HDR)

3 x Depth Sensor: 3 x 640 x 480 x 8bits

Total input resolution of color is 18 x 1280 x 1024 with 10~20% overlap. The final value is about 7600 x 2600 for 360 degree pano.

Total depth resolution is about 3600 x 1200 for 360 degree.

That's it.

Thank you for reading!

BTW wish you can try our
free JuMP-ME v1.0 for SQFT measurement of Matterport OBJ result.

JuMP team from China
Post 2 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Dan, I don´t know exactly what is the Matterport's Camera resolution, but I am quite sure that it is enough to Google's standards.

Google has relaxed its minimum requirements and there is no need to have 4K quality.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport's 2K tiles are capable of generating a 8192x4096 panosphere. The actual DPI represented in the data might not align 1:1 -- but the quality since November's firmware upgrade is fully sufficient.

I just re-read my comments that Dan posted. I think it would be awesome if Matterport did indeed release a new camera to the public on January 2018 like I said a long time ago. Then I would be like Dan "Nostradamus" Smigrod who predicts everything with an eerie amount of certainty.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?