Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSV17

Matterport to Google Street View: How Much?4438

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Now that Matterport is a confirmed as a presenting company - See Official Agenda – at the Google Street View Summit in Tokyo 10-11 May 2017 – and likely to announce easy, fast and seamless conversion and publishing to Google Street View – I wonder:

1. How much will Matterport charge for converting and publishing to Google Street View?
2. How will they charge? (For example: per conversion? monthly recurring revenue or other?)
3. When will Matterport Publish to Google Street View go live?
4. Since iGuide is also presenting, will iGuide Google Street View pricing strategy affect Matterport?

WGAN-TV LIVE will be streaming from the Google Street View Summit. And, I will reporting back to the We Get Around Network Forum Community from Tokyo.

WGAN-TV LIVE: How to Live Stream Google Street View Summit

Dan

Related Forum Topics

4 Reasons Buying a Matterport Camera Rocks
Matterport: Publish to Street View in Tokyo
Matterport Confirmed for Street View Summit
All Topics Tagged: GSV17

A Matterport Spaces 3D Tour converted and published to Google Street View by MP2SV

Matterport Spaces 3D Tour used for the above Google Street View
Post 1 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Will we become google certified photographers after a certain amount of scans?

How much do existing google street view photographers charge?

Can we compete with them in price if we have to pay processing fee, monthly hosting and google street view upload fee?

Once it has been processed and uploaded to street view can we delete it from our matterport account without it being removed from street view?

If you upload someone's home to street view and then a new owner moves in who doesn't want the inside of their house on street view can they have it removed?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
A Matterport Spaces 3D Tour converted and published to Google Street View by MP2SV

I'd like to clarify that this space was the first tour that I ever published to GSV from a Matterport Scan In addition, this space was created by Dan Smigrod prior to the Q4 2016 firmware update which improved Matteport visual quality and increased the tile size from 1k to 2k. Therefore, consider Dan's tour a *prototype* of what one could expect.

I learned a lot from this INCLUDING how to optimize navigation a bit ... there are many areas in this tour wherein there are simply too many arrows to click. Navigation should not exceed 4 arrows at a time, which should ideally be at 90 degree spacing from each other where possible. It is my hope that whatever Matterport is announcing at the summit will allow optimized navigation.

Consider when scanning a Matterport tour, it always works for best for navigation if you scan in grid-like patterns wherein a user will need to make 90 degree turns... otherwise it just gets confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dshowcaseuk
Will we become google certified photographers after a certain amount of scans?

According to Google, you must publish 50 accepted panoramas. If whatever Matterport is announcing will allow publishing via YOUR Google Account, then I assume that you can easily become trusted by publishing a single tour of > 50 panos.

Quote:
How much do existing google street view photographers charge?

Great question. I've seen many people charging under $100 to run out with a Ricoh Theta S, snap a few images and call it a day. Selling a Matterport-generated Street View tour will mean something entirely different as you will be selling a true immersive walkthrough that's not on 'rails' so to speak.

My preference is to sell Google Streetview + Matterport as a bundle when it is available. Possibly charge an additional fee based on the price that Matterport charges, if they charge a price.

When we started offering Matterport Tours -- we differentiated ourselves from those offering traditional 360 tours. Those ppl offered a few spins that perhaps connected to each other with arrows, or relied on a mini map to navigate. Matterport differentiated itself by presenting itself as a way to freely navigate a space... even if it's fixed to the panoramas we shoot -- it feels like a COMPLETE tour.

So how does one differentiate an 'on rails' straight line street view from a free-to-navigate experience? That's an excellent question.

My hope is that all Matterport owners who will be offering Street View when it is available will market Street View from the angle of 'Why a Matterport Street View is different.' and of course, you'll need to balance out quality/quantity with value to the customer.

Maybe Matterport will help us with some ideas on how to market whatever it is that they will be offering us. They have made white papers for everything else from Schematic Floorplans to CoreVR and are dedicated to helping MSPs to market themselves.

Additionally, @DanSmigrod always has our backs and finds unique member benefits to help us market ourselves via the different WGA Membership levels.

Quote:
Can we compete with them in price if we have to pay processing fee, monthly hosting and google street view upload fee?

I think so, but not if you're competing against some kid with a Ricoh Theta S who sells a single pano for $10 to a business.

Many GSV agencies charge by # of panos whereas we charge by SQFT. It may make sense to estimate an average # of panos / sqft and base pricing off of that if you are looking to sell Street View with Matterport as an added-value service.

Consider that there are clients out there that will invest in Street View rather than Matterport as they see greater value in Google integration and the perceived SEO value than in the tour itself.

Quote:
Once it has been processed and uploaded to street view can we delete it from our matterport account without it being removed from street view?

I would advise that people KEEP the Matterport tour as it has value for a client's website. In addition -- what if Google adds new features to Street View that Matterport adds later? In theory, you should be able to UPDATE the Street View tour.

Features currently missing from the API include: Blurring and Multiple-Floors.

What if Google adds their own 'MatterTags' or other features that Matterport can support? We could theoretically add these new features into Street View later.

So my 2c -- keep the scan based on the client. If you think there's any potential revenue from a future update -- either in that the client will pay more later -- or that it improves your own portfolio -- keep it.

Quote:
If you upload someone's home to street view and then a new owner moves in who doesn't want the inside of their house on street view can they have it removed?

Street View is [currently] only for public places and businesses. It's not for residential.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks metroplex I hoped it would be you reply and all my questions have been thoroughly answered. Let's hope we can publish to street Irwin the very near future.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dshowcaseuk

Great questions ...

@Metroplex360

When do you sleep?

All,

Time to think about pricing Google Street View!

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
@Metroplex360 When do you sleep?

Sun - Thur, from 2:00am - 7:00am CST Fri/Sat from 3:00am - 9:30am.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 You are SuperMan, I need 7 hours sleep at least every day.
Post 7 IP   flag post
OpenHouseOptics private msg quote post Address this user
I guess I'm not fully understanding the benefit of street view, how is this different from the residential 360s on google maps now? I've read the posts about future monetizing opportunities using MP for this - would anyone be willing to have conversation with me on this?
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Example 1 - Google Street View | Source: Google Street View

Example 2 – Google Street View: This Matterport Space created by We Get Around Atlanta was converted to Google Street View by MP2SV before Matterport asked MP2SV to stop converting Matterport Spaces to Google Street View because it said it violated the Matterport Terms.

Example 3 – This Matterport Spaces 3D Tour – created by We Get Around Atlanta – was converted to Google Street View (see Example 2 above)

---

@OpenHouseOptics

I could imagine that you already are familiar with Google Street View. You can "virtually drive" to a location such as the Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta. Please see Example 1 above.

Now imagine that you could continue the "virtual drive" right into the Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta English Gardens. Please see Example 2 above.

Whom created the 3D Tour - the Google Street View tour INSIDE the English Gardens? We Get Around Atlanta. How did We Get Around Atlanta create it? With a Matterport Camera. Please see Example 3 above.

And, the Matterport Spaces 3D Tour was converted to Google Street View by MP2SV - before Matterport asked MP2SV to stop converting Matterport Spaces to Google Street View because it said it violated the Matterport Terms.

Does that help?

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:

Example 2 – Google Street View: This Matterport Space created by We Get Around Atlanta was converted to Google Street View by MP2SV before Matterport asked MP2SV to stop converting Matterport Spaces to Google Street View because it said it violated the Matterport Terms.

This is such a beautiful tour and I want viewers of this post to know that this tour was shot before Matterport increased the tile size from the Pro Camera to 2 Megapixel -- and before the November firmware that improved image and color quality tremendously.

Just look at how amazing Dan's tour looks in Street View -- just like Matterport -- there are so many places once can stop and look around -- it's more immersive and detailed than most Street View tours as Matterport's Capture App and design enforces closely spaced scans.

The Showcase platform is so popular because it allows immersive tours with an amazing player and completely removes the tedious need to rebuild and link panos. If Matterport offers the same for Street View -- they will be lifting a pain point in a new arena!
Post 10 IP   flag post
101428 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?