Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Hold Off Buying a Matterport Camera?4394

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Until Matterport fixes these issues ....

Matterport Cloud Mice Nibbling Through Tours
Issues with walls disappearing

... should you hold off buying a Matterport Camera?

While Matterport Support has acknowledged the problem – and that the Matterport engineering team is working on a solution, it is not enough to simply say the models will be corrected by reprocessing the models (at no charge) – once the solution is in place.

In addition, Matterport needs to give the Matterport Community the option to:

1. keep the URL the same
2. keep the Highlights Reel from the original model
3. keep the Snapshots from the original model
4. keep the MatterTags from the original model
5. keep other settings the same

(These features should be standard regardless.)

Simply saying the problem is fix – reprocess the model – is not sufficient: especially, if you need to redo the SnapShots, Highlights Reel, MatterTags and send new URLs to clients.

What do you think? Should you hold off buying a Matterport Camera to see how Matterport deals with this problem?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
I certainly would..... Especially for those of us that don't have the original shoots on our iPads anymore. If its nothing short of, we will get it fixed and you don't have to do anything, then I would never buy another camera. Its their problem and we shouldn't have to do a thing about it. Are they paying for our time?
Post 2 IP   flag post
LetMe3D private msg quote post Address this user
Any insight to when the Iris 360 Pro will be released?
Post 3 IP   flag post
North Myrtle Beach, SC
cswartz private msg quote post Address this user
I have been having numerous successes over the past year and have recently considered purchasing another camera and hiring some help.

With this recent quality issue, it makes me wonder how viable Matterport really is. Software development is not easy, but having a structured development approach that includes quality assurance and quality controls is absolutely critical to the success of any company. I would hope something like regression testing is not something new to the staff. Why on earth would you make a release without properly flushing out what appear to be critical bugs? Have they developed a spaghetti code that can't be fixed without a total redo? Have they lost the bubble?

I personally have a lot on the line with my Customer base and my professional integrity is being questioned due to a lack of attention on Matterport's part. I do not think they are the only one's out there with a good idea, they were just the first to market. I believe they have competitors nipping at their heels and they had better well pay more attention to the product and their Customer base, or they will be overrun and left behind. That would be a shame.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@LetMe3D

NCTech iris360 Pro is scheduled to release Summer 2017, based on my interview with some of the NCTech team at the SPAR 3D Expo & Conference in Houston (2-4 April 2017).

I could imagine that NCTech is one of the 17 companies presenting at the Google Street View Summit in Tokyo (10-11 May 2017). (I will be there live-streaming reporting back to Forum Members.) So, perhaps there will be some more news on when the camera begins shipping.

There are 54 360º 1-Click Cameras on this list curated by We Get Around.

I could imagine that competition will help Matterport improve their platform and and be responsive to the Matterport Community.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Not only that, but over the past weeks we had nothing short of a nightmare with sunlight, not even bright sunlight just sunlight causing huge balck splodges on scans.

It took me 1 hour this morning to get 20 good scans.

Absolutely crazy and Matterport support seem oblivious to the issue sending me cut and paste answers.

I have video and picture evidence that once I have sent to matterport will share with you guys to see if you are experiencing the same.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport have my blessing to swoop in and correct these problems to our delight, coupled with an update on upcoming features to boost morale.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Aside from software issues, which will eventually be resolved, it seems to me that it's a good time to buy a new camera, given an extra $300 discount on top of the already reduced $3600 price.

Post 8 IP   flag post
VRPM private msg quote post Address this user
The quality has slipped a lot recently, we're also suffering from lots of frayed edges throughout the tours and awful bright light / sunlight issues.

Today wasn't even sunny and I couldn't pick up some indoor patches.

Hopefully they will fix this very soon as MP is a tough sell as it is so we don't need quality issues putting people off further.
Post 9 IP   flag post
nat_vanveen private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I sincerely hope Matterport does read this forum because right now these technical issues sound painful enough to turn anyone off, even with an extra $300 off the $3600... so what if the backend lacks integrity

@cswartz well said

Will be interesting to hear more on the Iris360Pro from your trip to Tokyo...
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@nat_vanveen

Matterport reads every word of the Forum.

Selling more cameras = take care of the early adopters first.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
What bugs me is the cameras and system were working fine 4-5weeks ago. Why is there not a system in place where we can choose to undo firmware updates.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dshowcaseuk

Yup!

Seems like Matterport needs to send an email to all its clients saying:

1. We screwed up
2. We apologize
3. As a result, it is the single highest priority of our tech team
4. Here's the fix that we are working on
5. Once the fix is in place, the fix will:

1. keep the URL the same
2. keep the Highlights Reel from the original model
3. keep the Snapshots from the original model
4. keep the MatterTags from the original model
5. keep other settings the same

Also, our apologize includes "X" ....

What else should be in that eBlast from Matterport? What should "X" be?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
As I see it, every model produced with the "mice edges" (and, yes, I noticed this, as have customers) is defective and must be remedied, as we have all paid for them.

Remedy is not simply allowing us the ability to reupload. They need to make us whole for not only the model, but all of the work we put into taking the model and turning it into something usable for our clients. Dan's solution at minimum..... I would suggest rebating a portion of our uploading fees for all models affected.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
@Chemistrydoc it's actually a good point that you bring up. We pay a processing fee, therefore the fix is necessary to fulfill that sale. Great angle! I am sure they will fix everything. I am on the edge of seat to see if they can do it seamlessly.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
Well Said Dan. I could not have put that as good as you did!
Post 16 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
All it takes is one heck of an awesome database query to migrate the MatterTags and other data while preserving the URLs -- executed in a test environment and coupled with a database backup -- and then rolled out during a scheduled maintenance window that would be necessary assuming that data would need to propagate to multiple servers in the cloud.

---
Matterport Support Writes...

---
I just wanted to let you all know I was recently notified about the fix that was pushed out late this afternoon/early evening. It does take about 24hrs for the code to be picked up by all the processing engines running and processing your model data. For that reason, you should not re-upload any model data until about 6pm PST 4/25.

I would like to take this time in order to build the list of models that will need to be reprocessed. Please let me know with a quick reply here if you would like all your Spaces from the past two weeks or so reprocessed. I'll put together a spreadsheet with all the ID's within that timeframe so you don't have to pick out each Space one at a time and have them reprocessed using the updated engines.

All in favor, please say, "I"
---

I'm a little bit hesitant about expecting our snapshots to be repaired as many screen grabbing techniques require that the image is rendered to the screen and I doubt that Matterport have a special version of Workshop for instantly jumping to each location, repositioning the views and snapping pictures. It would be very cool -- but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one. My primary use of snapshots are to power the highlight reel and that their size, the nibbles aren't noticeable
Post 17 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
I wanted to buy a second camera to ease the workload. But Have decided against it. I am waiting on NC Tech now becuase what I have read and reserached that it will be our saving grace.

Its like they have our wish list but rather putting it up on the fridge for decoration. They took our list and went shopping to make things happen.

So I think teh gloves are off and the arena is going to get very very intersting in the next couple off months. Big changes comming that I can forsee.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Just glad I made enough to get my money back on the initial purchase price of the camera regardless of price drops and be able to handle my customers hosting for some time.

Unfortunately nothing has come along to be an offering at 1/2 the price of what non ready to be Matterport clients would be willing to pay that could eventually bring them up to paying for Matterport services after loving the product.

In the meantime, I get leads from Matterport that are really marketing agencies and local Matterport providers looking to compete with my prices.

In one essence, Matterport is offered as too easy to use to justify our pricing as pros. While nothing cheaper is quite out there to offer "Virtual" tours over slide shows that could build people up to pay a fuller price for Matterport. Ricoh, just doesn't do it while Iris and others compete with Matterport pricing.

Is this how a product becomes a fad that looses to slide shows, drones and video walk through's under the "virtual" name. and keeps clients from getting a virtual feel that we provide?
Post 19 IP   flag post
justinv private msg quote post Address this user
@VTLV

It is funny you say that about leads. I had a property management company email me about pricing and examples. I told them my minimum is $120. They emailed the next day and said you do great work but honestly the first quote we got was cheaper. Of course I did not waste my time replying.

What people don't understand is if the cheaper person works themselves to death and decides that this isn't for them, the tours disappears into matterport's vault!

I do not know if they were trying to get me to lower my price? I figure I am not leaving house for less than $100 after processing. I figure an average apartment or anything under 1000sqft I can get in and out in less than 45 minutes. My pricing is just for tours. No mattertags, snapshots, 360's, etc. If they contact me again asking if I can do it, I am going to send an updated price list. I will tell them that was a promotional pricing and I had to raise my prices to be profitable. If they are arguing about price when it is very reasonable, I will probably be arguing to get paid from a company out of town.

I know in my area, a video walk through is more expensive than a Matterport scan. I am starting to buy everything necessary and I am going to add that to my service list.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
I wanted to buy a second camera to ease the workload. But Have decided against it. I am waiting on NC Tech now becuase what I have read and reserached that it will be our saving grace.

Its like they have our wish list but rather putting it up on the fridge for decoration. They took our list and went shopping to make things happen.

So I think teh gloves are off and the arena is going to get very very intersting in the next couple off months. Big changes comming that I can forsee.

When companies like NC Tech and that other Matterport-like solution that we were talking about a few weeks ago are posting announcements -- I think that the noticeable silence from Matterport might be something worth paying attention to.

That "wish list", just like all of our posts on We-Get-Around is something that Matterport value more than I would imagine they would.

The gloves are certainly off and I'm really looking forward to trying the NC Tech device for myself. So far, all of the videos of what it does seem a bit abstract -- I want to see and play with an actual model!
Post 21 IP   flag post
101641 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?