Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
SPAR3D17

Open or Proprietary 3D/VR Tour Platform?4266

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

One of my takeaways from SPAR3D Expo & Conference in Houston this week (3-5 April 2017) is open platforms win in the long run.

For 3D Tour Pros, this means we should own our digital assets and be able to use them in any way that we wish (and, soon, that's about to get even more exciting about what we will be able to do – not only with the photography – but the data captured by the Camera.

Every day, it becomes more obviously to me - that in the long run - our digital assets will have value behind simply selling a real estate listing.

For example, I could imagine a day when Matterport will license derivative works such as 2D schematic floor plans - and, we as photographers, will NOT get a slice of the $$$s from Matterport. (Why is Matterport silent on this point?)

I imagine that Matterport is asking us to verify the address of the property we are scanning so they can make an API call to serve-up 2D schematic floor plans (and more).

Imagine that you are searching for a home in Zillow. Now imagine that 2D schematic floor plans are available for that house – powered by an API licensed by Matterport to Zillow.

And, how much money will Matterport pay you? I could imagine zero because they wrote onerous Matterport Terms of Use that reserves derivative works such as schematic floor plans for them.

360Cities - a platform for hosting, viewing and licensing 360º photos and videos asked for my permission – and I granted it - to license my 360º photo spheres. And, if they do, We Get Around get 70 percent of the gross revenue generated. Could you imagine Matterport doing this?

While I Matterport – see my post Exponential Growth Coming Soon to Matterport - if they don't start thinking about MSPs and be pro-active about sharing the wealth for the content that we create, I could imagine that the best and most prolific content creators will look elsewhere.

Over the course of the next two weeks, I will be publishing a ton of content from the SPAR 3D Export & Conference. You will get to see other camera - and platform options - where the Pro owns all their digital assets.

Start thinking about the long term and the value of your digital assets to generate income.

So, should you buy a Matterport Camera today? Yes. If you can make money from it to justify the investment. Should you look at other solutions? Absolutely, if you can make money from it to justify the investment.

The team at Matterport is brilliant and have accomplished so much. That said, if the big picture Matterport vision is to keeps its platform proprietary and also, not share revenue 70 percent of the revenue generated from licensing its TBD APIs – then I could imagine that new cameras and platforms coming online will become more attractive to either those buying a camera for the first time or Matterport Pros opting for a different solution rather than buying another Matterport camera.

What do you think about open and closed platforms? And, what do you think about licensing derivative works (and not getting paid)?

Best,

Dan

All SPAR 3D Expo & Conference Coverage (will be compete by 1 March 2017)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Miami Beach, FL
AerialLook private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport is out for themselves and their investors. If enough MSP's came together, there would be a viable case to take Matterport to court for unfair and deceptive trade practices (for example, withholding data that we own). The withholding of this data has lead to loss revenues for Aerial Look and other service providers who have ambitions beyond just providing the scanning service. Are there any other MSP's that feel you have lost money, opportunity and market share due to MP withholding data(panos, position data, etc)captured by your camera?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Viewing private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I agree with many of your points.

This is why we are actively working on ways to help Matterport pros to create more wealth from their content.

Ryan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101641 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?