Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceScanningTrim

First scan advice and observations...414

Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished my first scan.

My observations of the process.

I took 62 scans for a 2,400 sq.ft home. The scanner alerted me that the camera and/or tripod was unstable for 20% of the scans and I kept each of them after being given the chance to delete them. The finished product looks fine to me.

The scanner should be at the height of the average "eye" mine was set too low so when you move to another spot in the home it composed itself at the height when the scan was taken. Made me feel like I was always looking slightly down.

I'm having trouble getting Unity to work with Chrome. I've installed it and it's telling me that Unity needs permission to run and I have yet to figure that out.

Trimming is critical to a good finished product. I figured this out early and took my time with the trimming. "Switch labels" means to change the direction of the call out. "Front" for mirrors; "Inside" for windows and "Remove" for trimming.

Overall very happy with my first test scan.

Here it is: Click here
Post 1 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
Good job! I did notice, however, that if you look straight down and turn around, you'll see that you caught a part of your tripod in every scan. Looks like it might be an adjustment knob on the head.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I had some instances recently of the 'unstable tripod' warning, and it turned out that I didn't align correctly the camera in the center of the clamp. Once I did that, everything worked.

@johnbecker My Manfrotto tends to stick out too a bit, so I need to figure out how to avoid capturing the knob.
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Good job for your first job. The latest version of Chrome no longer works with Workshop. Try Firefox and you should have no problem. Once you're in WS make sure you select the starting point for your model to begin. You do this by taking a picture of the starting point in your model.

You're right about the level of the camera, always place it at eye level just like you are walking through the property.

The unstable issue is something I encounter from time to time even though my tripod is level it still seems to crop up. Glenn from MP told they may have the wobble levels set to high.

Anyway great job on your first shoot and your spacing for all of your scans was right on.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Lbelland private msg quote post Address this user
I did my first commercial scan and before I upload it I'm curious about outdoor scans under a deck. Should I create windows for the area outside the deck or just leave the scans alone?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Grant private msg quote post Address this user
@Lbelland

I just finished up with a home model and shot the outside upper and lower decks.

Of course I had camera reflection in windows. I did not mark any features pointing outside, just one marker point per need be facing inside.

I ran into one simple issue and had to re-upload my model. Be careful of marking the doorway. On my model I marked the slider doors as windows and wasn't able to walk outside from the inside / inside from the outside. I went back and changed my markers to not block the opening, re-uploaded, and now am able to fluidly walk in and out on the model.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JohnBecker private msg quote post Address this user
If you do exterior scans, don't mark any windows on the side of the building that faces those scans. It would be the same as marking a window between two interior rooms, which you never want to do. Windows (along with trim boundaries) define "inside" and "outside," and any scans you do on the exterior are seen by the system as "inside."
Post 7 IP   flag post
svensson private msg quote post Address this user
great job, just like GarySnyder said, eye level would be the best.
Post 8 IP   flag post
RenderingSpace private msg quote post Address this user
Great Job. I'm a big fan of keeping the camera height around 5' or lower and it looks like you did it just right.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101436 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?