Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport Job opening: Singapore and China4087

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport expanding in Singapore and China...

https://jobs.lever.co/matterport/d8a19efa-b426-4d42-ae8e-d20de0626513

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
JuMP private msg quote post Address this user
Cool, maybe we could talk with this guy face to face someday.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Two weeks ago I was in China and I brought my MP camera for a project.

My personal experience is that loading time of MP models are a deal breaker for the expansion of this technology in China.

On a regular household line, and depending on the time of the day, it'd take from 4 secs to 3 mins just for the splash screen to show up. The entire model would load several minutes later, when we were lucky. We often gave up before then.

I understand that creating a cloud system that is compliant with the Chinese government might not be the easiest thing. The market there seems huge, but the performance of the MP Showcase are just not acceptable.

@jump, as you live in China, are you experiencing the same problem? How do you go around that?
Post 3 IP   flag post
qpoisson private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini AWS access is very slow in China. I think they try to protect local cloud service.
Post 4 IP   flag post
vantasy private msg quote post Address this user
It will be great. Hope We can get more support from this.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Tosolini The AWS access is randomly un-stable or un-aviable. Just like your words.
So in my opinion, currently Matterport products in China isn't a business level work, but something like a private hobby project around some fan's of Matterport's technology.
Indeed some people used Matterport to start business already. But almost all of them must break TOS so that the result can be accepted by Chinese customers.

The resone is not only the AWS speed and unstable.
Below is the reason and conclusion that I got:

Reason:
1. Due to network blocked by gov, we are not allowed to visit google.com/youtube.com etc. and the AWS speed is very slow and not stable in China;
2. Matterport can only allow us provide an iframe link to our customer that totally can't be accepted by any Chinese clients;
3. All data hosting on Matterport's AWS, we can't make sure how long it will be there, if someday Matterport closed or stopped the AWS services our clients may ask to refund all of their money due to the data gone;
4. The features that Matterport provided now is far away from our clients wanted.

We have a common words in business : "Customer is God".
If "God" say he want these features, we can't resist.
But are we customer(God) of Matterport?
I think the answer is NO and more like a "Slave".

So the conclusion is:
If we want to use Matterport in China we must do below:
1. Get all data from AWS and store them on local server within China;
2. Make our Showcase system to show space to customer from our server not Matterport AWS or setup server on customer side;
3. Provide features that our clients wanted;

The market in China area is huge absolutely, if Matterport want to do business thing in China area. They must change TOS, make a special version for China area at least.

One of our friend talked with Matterport about this more than two years ago. But no response.

Some words for the person who want to request the position:
Be sure Matterport will do above things before you accept any offer from Matterport, otherwise the China market will be your nightmare.

Thanks for reading.

JuMP team from China
Post 6 IP   flag post
Nigris private msg quote post Address this user
Hi everybody,

I'm a fan of Matterport and feel sad that the online user experience here in Mainland China is so bad due to loading time.

I just want to make 5 points:

1. According to CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) China is now the first economy of the world (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html#ch) with a booming real estate sector. For Matterport, this can become the second largest market after the US.

2. An online Matterport project is almost unreachable here (you cannot watch it because the loading takes too long). My analysis, based on two projects from the gallery, below:

Matterport Loading speed test in Beijing, China

Where: From home, common household Internet connection.
[All times refer to Beijing local time].

Date: 2017-03-08 Wednesday

Time: 06:00
Loading completed at:
Project: 1: 43”
Project: 2: 44”

Time: 08:30
Loading completed at:
Project 1: Never. I gave up after 5’
Project 2: Never. I gave up after 5’

Time: 11:30
Loading completed at:
Project 1: 1’:50”
Project 2: 5’:12”

Time: 12:30
Loading completed at:

Time: 14:00
Loading completed at:
Project 1: 2’:48”

Time: 16:30
Loading completed at:
Project 2: 4’:48”

Time: 21:30
Loading completed at:

3. If you cannot show a Matterport project online, you cannot sell it (you'll have the hard time to sell both the camera and the 3D Virtual Tour service)

4. The solution would be to have a local hosting (meaning a Chinese Matterport platform hosted on a server inside Mainland China (for government restrictions we can say that: foreign websites are slow, domestic websites are fast).

5. How to implement that? Here comes the difficult part. I guess the law doesn't allow a foreign company to plug-in directly its own server. You have to find a Chinese partner that does it for you and comply with the related regulations. Not sure about that.

Any suggestion?

I hope to see Matterport thrive in China and be part of that grow...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Nigris private msg quote post Address this user
@JuMP

I appreciated your post, and I'm perfectly agree with you.

Referring on abbreviations you use, is AWS = Amazon Web Services, and TOS = Terms Of Services?

Thanks.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
3rd Party
Service
Beijing
@Nigris Thank you for your test result in detail and clarify for AWS and TOS.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
I am going to Singapore end of April , to look at the market there. I was approached by a company in late November to look at setting up in China (Hong Kong) for the rental market. As was explained that people are wasting time trying to view apartments there and that MP will take care of this problem. A close friend there ended up viewing 60 properties in 2 weeks , and wasted many hours in the lovely flowing traffic of Hong Kong. As she said if she had access to this tech she would have gotten her new apartment within a day. And no time wasted or money.

How strict are they there on VPN? I know here in the UAE we get fined USD30000.00 if they catch you using it here.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

On a video chant with @DougTse ...

He just shared with me this luxury real estate conference in Beijing and Shanghai this year (2017) and Guangzhou in 2018.

I wonder if Matterport will be there selling Cameras?

Dan

Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?